Disappearing Ship - Single Player Mystery

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I am frustrated. I have restarted several times, due to my ship being gone when I come back to the game. The materials I have mined are in my inventory, but no ship. Navigation states that the ship is not found. It has happened four times now - I play for a few hours, exit the game via the menu, and when I come back I am free floating with no ship.

Help!!!!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Not moving, and single player. Sorry for the lack of detail.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I deleted my game folder, downloaded a fresh install, ran the game, played a while and exited. Upon re-entry, no ship. Using the Navigation panel, red box stating ship cannot be found when searching for last ship. I was parked next to an asteroid, not in motion, and single player. This behaviour just started today.

Anyone having the same issue, or know how to fix it? Very frustrating, and I was sort of getting the hang of finding shops......

Reaction score
    I have been having the same issue. Every time I quit I lose my ship or anything else I've built. I've tried the /force save console command with no luck. I haven't even moved the ship from the original spot near the shop where you start. I really love the game but can't love with starting from scratch each time.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I have been having the same issue. Every time I quit I lose my ship or anything else I've built. I've tried the /force save console command with no luck. I haven't even moved the ship from the original spot near the shop where you start. I really love the game but can't love with starting from scratch each time.
    Does StarMade have permission to write to the server-database folder and it's contents?

Reaction score
    Does StarMade have permission to write to the server-database folder and it's contents?
    It would appear so since it is creating World files there. I've tested that by deleting them and trying new worlds but the issue persists. I've even noticed that the quantities of items in the shop is being saved. For example if I buy 3 power supplies out of the ~250 the shop has I can exit and restart and the amount in the shop will be 247. Very odd.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The issue went away for me. No idea why it started or stopped.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This has been happening rampantly with steam players, should probably be looked into if its not being so already.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    My disappearing ship has nothing to do with Steam, since I will not allow it on my system.

Reaction score
    This has been happening rampantly with steam players, should probably be looked into if its not being so already.
    For the record, mine is a Steam install on Win7. I have steam installed to an "Apps" volume as I only install the OC on the usual C: drive and put all applications and data on another volume. As stated above permissions do not seem to be an issue since world files are being created. For example: S:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\StarMade\StarMade\server-database\world0.

It's really odd. Everyting else seems to save. It's just my ships that get lost.

Ah the joys of early acccess. Hopefully they get this one fixed soon.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What I meant was that it is an issue that is common in singleplayer, and has been much more prominent since steam release since so many of them are playing singleplayer to try it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I don't know why this is happening but the fix that worked for me was, when entering a new game spawn your first core then leave the game. When you return the core will be gone but any core you spawn from this point onwards will persist.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hmm, I hope that works for some people, there is one at least who has lost three ships in a row, though that might have been through sheer bad luck or something else...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If you start a new world it will always happen on the first ship (for me anyway) but if you keep that world your next ship will be saved.

Incidentally if you destroy your ship the game will crash. Also salvaging a station completely with your first ship will also cause a crash.

edit: My bad, its when you pick up your first core it crashes

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Ecxcellent! This seems to work for me! After losing the first ship cube it seems to save from there. Odd, but I'll take it.

Reaction score
    Possible workaround / quick fix:
    (short version at bottom.)

So I had the same problem, (Ship disappearing whenever i left the game etc.) which is what led me to this thread. Last night I was just messing around in the game, built myself a salvager and ate some asteroids and stuff. Then I grabbed a second ship core and began to build another ship to experiment with some docking modules. I got frustrated and destroyed the core using my first ship. I then exited the game expecting to lose my ship again. Low and behold my ship was still there then i logged back in YAY!

In short: Build your ship, then build a second one, probably just need to drop a core. Then destroy it. you should have your original ship next time you log in.

Reaction score
    Confirmed as well. I was safe and deleted everything but my core from my old ship before logging off. When I logged back in my core was gone and just had to buy another one from the shop I was near to rebuild my ship. I put down another core, deleted it, repeated the process once more for good measure and logged off, praying my ship would still be there. :) Was all good. Spawned inside my Cockpit, re-entered my ship and went about the game. Glad to find a solution to this problem and will spread the word.