disabling planets

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    is there any way to prevent planets spawning compleatly?

im getting sick of my server restarting every time a player even trys to look at a planet
    ive reduced them down to 50% of default settings and tryed after the latest optimising patch
    but still planets cause excessive cpu usage resulting in the server being restarted by the host system.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Or a similar setting to spawn random asteroids in their place?

Reaction score
    I think that you would need to increase the spawn rate of asteroids to make up for the giant holes in raw resources for newbies, or are you keen on a truly scarcity based economy on your server

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think that you would need to increase the spawn rate of asteroids to make up for the giant holes in raw resources for newbies, or are you keen on a truly scarcity based economy on your server
    whats the diference , no planets and server keeps running or planets that you cannot get near without crashing the server?

Reaction score
    In that case - not a huge amount

Realistically though, if you have the ability you should consider increasing asteroid spawn to replace the theoretical resource output of the planets. My real point is that currently you are suffering from essentially a stability issue, in that planets are there to be utilised but can't because of the server load crash.

There is an important nuance between "You can't go anywhere near the planets because they crash the server" and "There are less resources available because we chose not to have them" - you have a stability issue that causes a restriction in the economy, that is different from having a restriction in the economy because you chose to have one. (even if in practicality they look pretty much the same)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    agreed ,
    but there is no economy on my server, shops are all infinate free resources, its more a build server than anything else , but its impossible to build anything when resets occur evertime a player passes near a planet sector.

ive opened the server up so anyone using the steam client can connect now, but its not giving a good impression of the game when they cant stay connected for long.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I find it kinda rediculous that your server crashes just looking at a planet....

I can run a locally hosted server with four other people on 4 gigs of ram and have two people mining planets at once with very little problem...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    its not a server crash as such its the sudden massive cpu usage spikes causing the host to restart the server

can you guess when planet sectors were passed from this :) (the initial small spike was a sector with 2 large stations and plenty of big ships)
    orange memory, blue cpu, green players

Reaction score
    okay - If you have no economy just ignore my ranting

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That sounds like an error on your system or an error in host settings. Every server experiences those spikes, none that I know of restart because of it.

To answer your question though, no, there's no way to disable planets that I am aware of. You might try using sector no-enter or no-exit commands to limit your space to a few sectors or a system with no planets. A little time consuming, but if its basically a build server with infini-shops the exploration isn't necessary.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If my host are the issue as it sounds like, i will have to either get it sorted, or if my host are now incapable of hosting starmade they will need to be told so they can remove it from thier list of hosted games,

Reaction score
    Sounds like an issue with your host. You need to get them to turn down the auto restart on cpu and start also monitoring the garbage collection stats. Just CPU is a shot in the dark.