Directed Weapons / New Aiming Controls

Reaction score
    I have two suggestions I'd like to bring up about weapons and utilizing them.

Directed Weapons

By directed I don't mean homing or locking or anything, what I mean by that is that weapons will fire in a certain direction based on which angle they face. This would also be nice to have as a feature for the cockpit module, so it's view faces the direction the block faces giving better assessment of the area.
    This feature could mean that a cluster of lasers or mining lasers aimed down would fire perpendicular to the direction aimed, downward. Basically changing their trajectory by 90 degrees. Another example could be broadside rocket pods, with a target locked on front of the ship, would fire away from the ship, perpendicular to its length, and then change course around the ship until it aimed at its target. This would add a better feel and more creative power with weapons.
    I can imagine someone dotting the inside of the aft of their ship with d-1000 that they could fire off like flares to get in the way of trailing enemies. The only conflict I can see happening with the game if this were implemented is that when mirroring a weapon at an angle, it does not mirror the angle like it would a wedge. This would be essential to fix if this were to be implemented.

New Aiming Controls

My second suggestion might be simpler to implement, I'm not sure. Basically what I'm suggesting is the ability to hold a button to stop the change of aim changing the ships orientation. Now currently there is a way to unhinge your camera from the ship's orientation, but when you do this (by holding left shift and tapping right shift once) the ship's aim remains in the direction it's oriented.
    In fighter and small to medium sized ship battles it'd make sense that you'd probably only be firing ahead of you. But larger ships that move slower could benefit from being able to aim around their orientation without changing it.
    It'd also be cool if these two suggestions could work in tandem, making it so depending which way you aimed while using the only aim button or toggle a different weapon would be used.

Reaction score
    I know it\'s kind of a lot to read, but I\'d enjoy and appreciate input from others about this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    aiming to all sides is possible. just change direction of weapon computer

Reaction score
    Some way to rotate the camera while flying without disrupting the ships orientation is welcome in my books. I was hanging out in a ship docket to a turret port while a friend was flying and being able to see my ship fly and not stare at its butt was amazing.

Reaction score
    I\'d say for solo pilots the best idea would be to have the SD cockpit\'s view be whatever direction its facing.

As for weapon CPU you have to get out of your ship to control one of those and 9 times out of 10 it puts you outside of your ship when you do that : /