Direct Navigation

Reaction score
    Instead of the waypoint navigation system causing you to zig-zag through sectors, how about we get a new marker in space that IS the sector you're heading to, so you can just fly straight there? This seems like it would be a simple-to-implement improvement, but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
    I am not sure how easy to implemnet this would be. But I was thinking a transitional could be implemented to see if it would work jsut as well, My idea is that the nav waypoints casue you to go in three straight trajectories. X,Y, and then Z trajectories (or however Schema would like to set it up) would be placed of ryou to follow, this would be more efficient for ships over 300 mass as they would not have to turn every sector or two. This would be less efficient for a ship under 300 mass as then they would not be taking advantage of their ability to turn faster than a larger ship.

Reaction score
    The game engine only roughly calculates the direction of objects outside of the current sector, which is why they seem to change positions when entering/leaving the sector they are currently present in. The current sector-by-sector pathfinding algorithm is actually the most efficient one available given the limitations of the current engine build. Your suggestion, though simple-sounding, is tricky to implement at the moment if I understand things correctly.

Reaction score
    You can already just figure out the center of the two/three points manually ;), you don\'t have to fly directly where the nav arrow shows, as it points to the center(?) of that sector.

Reaction score
    I trhink before this is possible sectors and how they transition need to be revamped, hard. I\'m sure we all realize before this becomes a full scale game that sectors will need to be changed/fixed to work smoothly and seamlessly. It\'s just not much of a priority since they do actually work, but are jsut a nusance.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It doesn\'t seem so hard to implement either... that or the whole system needs to be changed so it can happen... the zig zag thing to me seems like nothing more than a basic nav solution just so SOMETHING existed, I cant imagine this was ever meant to be permanent... I sure hope not because it would be as ridiculous as your car GPS making you do that, left, right, left, right, left right, instead of just going straight