Different power sources

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I think we should have different types of power sources, which each come with their advantages/disadvantages.

1. Antimatter reactor - Uses an antimatter/matter reaction chamber to generate tons of power, but if damaged in the slightest causes a massive and crippling explosion.

2. Nuclear reactor - Utilizes a nuclear fission chamber to generate a lot more power than an electric generator, but substantially less power than an antimatter reactor. When destroyed, creates a small explosion and contaminates a sizable area.

3. Electric generator - Utilizes cobalt field coils to generate a moderate amount of power, and when destroyed sends out an electric discharge which overloads any nearby system (shields, thrusters, weeapons, etc.)

4. Steam engine - Uses a coal-powered heat source to boil water and generate a small amount of power, and does nothing when destroyed.

I think this would be a nice addition to the game not only because it offers a variety of choices, but also because it would force people to really think about how their ships are laid out. Thus you woulod have no more ugly masses of power blocks and antimatter cannons that just spam up the database, which I think would clear up some lag.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i like that but this could be good if devs would introduce tech trees (research)

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Like i like the idea, but essentially your asking for different levels of powerful reactors. So in the end, everybody should juts use the most powerful, duh. Though i guess they would be priced super rediculously.

Reaction score
    Well, there is also the downside of exploding when damaged for every tier, minus Steam. Coupled with exponentially increasing prices, this will probably have the end result of having super-expensive, very powerful fighters that utilize top-tier blocks (and explode nicely when destroyed!), and the largest of ships being built out of lower-tier, much-less-expensive blocks (but will probably have high-tier reactor cores that explode and such as well).

Another possible cool idea with this is different reactors helping each other. For example, having Steam Generators next to Electric Generators will cause the Electric Generators to have higher efficiency and generate more power. Likewise, Nuclear Generators next to Steam Generators will increase efficiency/output of the Steam Generators. This could lead to fun some reactor+ship designs.