Different ambient sounds

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The default space wind gives me headaches, and would be really good if it was swapped when one entered the gravity of a planet. Say earth planets you hear birds tweet etc. Also I think things in general most machine blocks should emit ambient sounds like thrusters, powergenerators and shield generators. I also think that station should emit a sound and I also think that sectors change their sounds so its not always the same depressing space wind.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    And while we're on the topic, possibly different from sector to sector, possibly different once inside a station, possibly faction-dependent.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    agreed, I remember back when we had shop sounds. ooo they were so epic but schema took them away :(

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Definitely. Absolutely. I fully agree one-hundred-and-ten percent. More ambient sounds, as well as sound effects, are always great for any game (to a point, of course), as they have this funny tendency to boost game immersion through the roof. :D Ambient music, in certain scenarios, would be really great to hear in-game, too. ^.=.^

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    For the sake of having a breezy lightweight game code base, object interaction should have sounds. However, for ambience, I think it would be neat to have a MP3-streamer with a customizable playlist built into the game, so you could listen to whatever ambience you'd like, with settings such as random playlist shuffle on sector change or shop entry. That way, anybody could set the streamer to listen to what they like, whether they be cruising through outer space to Led Zeppelin, fighting pirates to the soundtrack of Crimson Tide, gazing at the stars in absolute silence, or listening to that one track of the Enterprise NCC-1701-D ambient engine noise that plays for 24 hours straight. (Please don't tell me I'm the only one who spotted that jewel on YouTube.) :oops:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    One of the things is that you want your background sound to match what's happening. If your frigate is owning a few pirates, you want triumphant battle music. If a pirate dreadnought comes along, you want something like the imperial march, and if you're building then you want something kind of peppy.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Imagine Event-driven playlist swapping. Easy cruising interrupted by pirates? Led Zeppelin gets interrupted by AC/DC. Boarding a Ship core? The silence of wandering around as an astronaut is interrupted by the comforting hum of ambient engine noise.

Reaction score
    I usually put on my dark ambient playlist to cover up the cold dead wind.

The really early alpha had a lot more sounds, strangely enough....

*Edit btw I agree with you, birds 'a chirping for terran and crickets for desert ETC

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I agree, There should be MOAR AMBIENCE NOISE LOOPS! Oh, and music for maybe regular exploring, pirate encounters, and planets. I wonder if they have considered maybe adding 1 or 2 ambience loops recently.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Music is good and all, but we should probably focus on sounds first, then go to music. A customizable playlist would be cool, but it may take a long time to happen.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Understandable and I agree that the sound effects should come first.

Customizable playlist would take the work of creating ambient music/effects away from the game makers so they can focus on core stuff, because a whole cottage industry would pop up where community members would create ambient-noise and song MP3s for everyone to try. You'd see entire themed MP3 packs for any situation with common elements shared among the related tracks. It would be self-regulating, because copyright violators would be discovered and voted down, and original creations would be promoted. You could run an MP3 through SoundHound to find out if it is original with the contributor or if it is an invalid contribution.

Then, and this is where it could get interesting for the developers, the community could vote for the best theme packs, and then the track creators could donate the rights to the entire soundpack to the game developers/distributors who could then package it up and sell it as the official soundtrack on iTunes. "Get StarMade Ambience Volume 1, available now!" And it wouldn't just stop with the top winner. Runners up would also have the option to offer up their packs which could then be sold as Volume 2 and so on. And as more sound packs become available, new votes could take place, and more ambient track albums could be sold to support the developers.

To clarify, the option should be there to create a different playlist for different situations, such as spacewalking, combat, planetary operations, planetary walking, building ships, building stations, flying, and shopping. Then a person can create a customized playlist for each situation, and whenever an event is triggered, their current playlist is automatically replaced by the one they picked out for the new situation. In other words, when the player, cruising in their spaceship, is targeted by a pirate or actually hit by weapons, the "flying" playlist is stopped and unloaded, and the "combat" playlist is loaded and starts playing automatically. It wouldn't be as smooth as some of the AAA-title on-the-fly ambient music composing stuff that you see in really advanced games, but it would be easier. Plus, it might actually be better for many players, because they'd choose their own ambience without having to replace static game audio files with their own or install an ambience mod to do it for them. A lot of people have playlists ready to go, and if the built-in player could load up those playlists, it would be an easy win.

This is giving me an idea for another big community contest after the spacestation contest is over: audio effects. If only to help out the developer, so they don't have to come up with every audio clip by themselves.

Reaction score
    • approaching the sun to close, maybe the sound of mental steering.
    • near a functional core the sound of the reactors humming in which it increases intensity as you approach the thrusters blocks
    • near a overloaded core and abandon station, the sound of mental twisting, banging against each other and periodical air releasing.
    • inside a abandon station i want to hear what they had for Dead Space!
    • inside a pirate station i want to hear something like a poorly maintain station would sound like (water dipping, air & steam releasing periodical...etc..
    • inside a station I want to hear a dull hmm and periodical announcements like "Fire crew report to hanger bay 2", "Maintenance crew please pick up line 5 concerning a small reactor leak". Maybe it could be smart and announce "Maintenance personnel please calibrate <turret name>".
    on top of that all powered blocks should have a distinct sound when standing within 1-5 block from them..like factory block should have a factory like sound.