Development roadmap?

Reaction score
    Throwing around credentials won't get you very far. If anything, it makes you look like a demanding ass - the loud, obnoxious, red in the face, angry mid level manager type personality.

Anyhow - AI ships are a totally different system from AI NPCs. Pirates use ship AI. Ship AI is not used for NPCs. The two systems do not even touch eachother. You're asking them to fix the roof because the toilet is clogged.

This is not an enormous studio with a single end goal in sight. Enormous studios make games with a clear goal post and are therefore able to assign an efficient order of operations to the teams working on the project. This flat out does not work on small scale indie work with the end goal being "everything and anything"

For all we know, this project doesn't even have a detailed long term road map. Most games I've seen don't. Hell, every project I've personally had any hand in has had no "completely thought out plan". A heavily detailed long term roadmap is only convenient to a small subset of potential customers, and that small subset is not as likely to just buy the game as the people who flat out do not care are. Is it worth the trouble? Because I seriously doubt it.
    I'm not looking for a detaild longterm road map, just what's comming up in the next 1 or 2 releases. I would assume that that information is probably known.

Reactions: GRHayes

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I'm not looking for a detaild longterm road map, just what's comming up in the next 1 or 2 releases. I would assume that that information is probably known.
    Ah, yeah. The Trello site was SUPPOSED TO be that, but it seems to be updated less often than it ideally should be.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If you are so confident it is that easy than write a mod for the game that fixes the AI yourself. >_>
    If modding were supported, I'm sure people would already have done it. It's not exactly unheard-of to have non-shitty AI, and while it takes some thought I doubt it'd be too extremely hard.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Modding currently is not quite up to supported, but there are already mods in the game.
    Check out http://starmadedock.net/forums/mods/
    All of these are either shader swaps, configuration changes, or other peripheral mods (not in the .jar) or external tools (not even modding the game). Actually changing the AI will not be possible until either AI behaviour becomes defined by an external script, or an API or something is opened up for .jar modding, or (least likely) the game goes open-source like Space Engineers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    All of these are either shader swaps, configuration changes, or other peripheral mods (not in the .jar) or external tools (not even modding the game). Actually changing the AI will not be possible until either AI behaviour becomes defined by an external script, or an API or something is opened up for .jar modding, or (least likely) the game goes open-source like Space Engineers.
    Didn't I say its not fully implemented yet? But it will be, it states that's very clearly in the threads on that page.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm aware of that. But my post was in response to someone saying that "if it's so easy go code new AI," as in right now. I was explaining that that's not possible otherwise someone would have already done it.

(Any mod support will probably be a long way from now anyway.)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    All of these are either shader swaps, configuration changes, or other peripheral mods (not in the .jar) or external tools (not even modding the game).
    Not all, there are a few exceptions, their extreme rarity still proves your point though. der_scheme's buildhelper additions is one such example. Another (albeit not obvious) example is MSCC; yes, it doesn't change gameplay at all, BUT it places hooks in the game's code to determine the factory recipes[especially useful on multiplayer].

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Not all, there are a few exceptions, their extreme rarity still proves your point though. der_scheme's buildhelper additions is one such example. Another (albeit not obvious) example is MSCC; yes, it doesn't change gameplay at all, BUT it places hooks in the game's code to determine the factory recipes[especially useful on multiplayer].
    Build helpers are external packages too, correct?

Also, yes, technically it is possible to hook into the game code in certain places, or even, as one or two people did, rip right through the obfuscation and mod the source code... It's just not easy or common. And I doubt it's allowed by the EULA, while I haven't read it myself.

EDIT: Forgot to mention (Hayes beat me to it) that since the game is in development, even if someone went in and modded the .jar, any update could break it completely if it changes anything they modded.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Build helpers are external packages too, correct?
    Nope. Build helpers are classes within the StarMade.jar
    They are fairly separate from the rest of the code though, so modding them is relatively easy, compared to modding something else.
    Package org.schema.game.client.view.buildhelper contains them.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you are so confident it is that easy than write a mod for the game that fixes the AI yourself. >_>
    Have you taken 10 seconds to look at their Jar file. It isn't a debug version you can simply decompile and work with. Secondly they didn't build the combat system into Lua which I actually agree with. They also don't have an API to work with for Modding.

Since this game is under constant development what may work today may not tomorrow.

Its not a matter of confidence it is a matter of knowledge from having done so in the past and the two current projects I am working on both do so.

So far all you done is act hostile. First you attack with doesn't know how to run a game company then you make this smart ass comment.
    At this point I am just going to assume you are nothing more than a troll.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    We'll be updating the public Trello roadmap next week and will be sharing a lot more on the direction of the game in the coming weeks as well. We don't use Trello for our project management software, it was just a handy way to easily represent ideas that's view-able publicly that the community could also comment on.