[Dev Build] Weapons 2.0 impressions from testing the basic 3

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    So I guess low damage just makes cannon shots look like needles at the moment? The pirate station cannons and my X-wing cannon shots are all needle-like. I should test what wider configurations look like.

Also, I was able to test the doom beam a bit (same testbed setup, but half the beams as a slave) and it seems balanced other than range. Beams right now are way too low range (1600m), you pretty much need to be nuzzling your target to do damage with default sector size. And good luck hitting a moving target from more than 1600m away with missiles or cannons with how laggy things get and how erratic movement can be as a result.

This gets into what the roles for each weapon should be. Overall, I feel the role setup should be very Star Trek-like because Star Trek battles look absolutely beautiful without being overly complicated (tons of beams, missiles to finish things off, some small ships using cannons instead), but of course Trek isn't very deep and doesn't quite have the weapon variety (mostly PD is missing and cannons are too niche), so I think a little inspiration should come from Sword of the Stars, which has incredible weapon variety and good balance, and a few other places of course.
    So, here's my thoughts on weapon roles in B, C, M order:
    • Beam: Your go-to weapon for small-medium ships at medium ranges, does more damage to shields. Most ships should have this.
      • Beam-beam: The Enterprise's doom phaser from All Good Things, charges up and just plain punches a hole in a Vor'cha with one shot, but it only fires forward. And weakens your shields I guess (Stargate had this a little with the Ori ship beams, but all of these weaknesses together I don't think any one thing had, and it's possible that the current setup is too weak in actual PvP).
      • Beam-cannon: The faster-firing phaser setup of some ships like the TOS enterprise, good mainly for assuring hits on smaller ships or taking out little turrets one by one. Also good for Zahn Consortium-style PD (from Star Wars: Empire at War's expansion, little blue lasers of awesomeness to stop incoming missiles).
      • Beam-missile: This is the hardest one to find a role for. Perhaps this can be a disruptor and they're better for taking out systems than hull.
    • Cannon: Higher rate of fire but lower accuracy/range than beam, good for small ships to take on larger ships at close ranges (like the Klingon Bird of Prey or Defiant vs. a big battleship).
      • Cannon-beam: Sniper cannon, basically the complete inverse of a cannon (long range, high accuracy, lower rate of fire); still good for small ships though as they can dodge at range. Pretty much only SotS has these, and they work rather well; I don't think these should need charging, just a longer reload.
      • Cannon-cannon: Rapid fire cannon, veering more into Star Wars territory really, but with the current default cannon fire rate, you need this to an extent to get proper Defiant/BoP setups.
      • Cannon-missile: Either cannon version of the disruptor beam (but you won't get the fire rate needed for a BoP...) or, to go a bit out-there, BSG-style flak guns, so as to be cool PD and not redundant.
    • Missile: Very high hull damage, low rate of fire
      • Missile-beam: Proper photon/quantum/plasma torpedos (lock-on, high damage but a bit slow), better hope your cloak is working or your unshielded BoP is history.
      • Missile-cannon: SotS dumbfire racks (maybe it can only use .25 or some other fraction of a missile per shot?), intended to overwhelm/distract PD at close range with a flurry of fast missiles.
      • Missile-missile: Star Wars style bombs, so fighters aren't just those lousy Peregrines that didn't matter in the Dominion war.
    So, as to how ranges should work with all of this, I think everything should just stop after so many sectors, but things should have different effective ranges due to accuracy and travel time. You wouldn't want to use cannons from 2km away unless your target was gigantic, and you would want to use lock-on missiles and sniper cannons for targets that are a bit too far to accurately target your beams onto.
    I think the missile role is pretty indisputable. Range, power, locking, slow heavy hits, possible to shoot down.

Beams vs cannon - I am drawing from games like SoTS, Distant Worlds, Stellaris, Galactic Civilizations, MOO series, and more. Weaponized beams travel at the speed of light, but because they need to be focused at their target's distance for maximum effectiveness they can't just go on forever and actually do anything more useful than being a very bright flashlight. Projectiles are less affected by range and things like space dust that could reduce the value of a beam weapon over distances.

The combination of near-instant effect and digital-level accuracy has always struck me as ideal for point defense, where targets move at extremely high-velocity (missiles should be moving several times faster than any ship). That and issues of dust and focus have always left me thinking that beams are the best possible solution to outputting insane damage at short range and handling point defense.

Theoretically projectiles would be almost as good at long range as missiles, but their substantially sub-light speed level ruins that unless the target's future acceleration is known 100% - after a certain range you just aren't going to hit with them. They are fast enough to be extremely effective mid-range though, and don't require the same amount of space as missiles. We also know that IRL they can be fired en masse at very fast speeds, which compensates a little for their accuracy falloff at range. They're also effective at short range, but not as fast or accurate as beams for intercepting very fast targets, and probably not able to deliver the same kind of power as an intense, focused particle stream.

It's all sci-fi though. We can speculate about science in fictional scenarios all day to no avail. Honestly it doesn't matter much to gameplay if they tier range by weapon family, or by slave.

Reactions: Agame3 and kiddan
    Reaction score
    I think the missile role is pretty indisputable. Range, power, locking, slow heavy hits, possible to shoot down.

Beams vs cannon - I am drawing from games like SoTS, Distant Worlds, Stellaris, Galactic Civilizations, MOO series, and more. Weaponized beams travel at the speed of light, but because they need to be focused at their target's distance for maximum effectiveness they can't just go on forever and actually do anything more useful than being a very bright flashlight. Projectiles are less affected by range and things like space dust that could reduce the value of a beam weapon over distances.

The combination of near-instant effect and digital-level accuracy has always struck me as ideal for point defense, where targets move at extremely high-velocity (missiles should be moving several times faster than any ship). That and issues of dust and focus have always left me thinking that beams are the best possible solution to outputting insane damage at short range and handling point defense.

Theoretically projectiles would be almost as good at long range as missiles, but their substantially sub-light speed level ruins that unless the target's future acceleration is known 100% - after a certain range you just aren't going to hit with them. They are fast enough to be extremely effective mid-range though, and don't require the same amount of space as missiles. We also know that IRL they can be fired en masse at very fast speeds, which compensates a little for their accuracy falloff at range. They're also effective at short range, but not as fast or accurate as beams for intercepting very fast targets, and probably not able to deliver the same kind of power as an intense, focused particle stream.

It's all sci-fi though. We can speculate about science in fictional scenarios all day to no avail. Honestly it doesn't matter much to gameplay if they tier range by weapon family, or by slave.
    I think that, for gameplay to be satisfying, things must make intuitive sense. Hence, beams should have damage falloff at range, but be amazing for accuracy (good medium rangers), cannons should be about bruising your enemy when they dare to get close, lock-on missiles should be your main way to deal damage at long ranges, etc..
    Any tiering of ranges I think will just hurt the game by being counter-intuitive (and unnecessary, we already get effective ranges from accuracy, only need to mess with beams as otherwise they'd be super OP).

Also, take a look at the big Dominion war battles from Star Trek: Deep Space 9; that's the kind of thing I prefer to see in spaceship battles (most shots matter, big bright color-coded-by-faction beams are the bulk of combat, similarly flashy missiles to finish things off, some small ships come in with cannons in place of beams) and what I think StarMade should strive for for being the most common kind of combat.
    SotS when things are mostly missiles, phasers, and a few random weapons like sniper cannons is also pretty nice, but I think it screws up the ranges a lot because of phasers being really short range, most battles are decided by the huge missile volleys until there's effective countermeasures like deflectors, and then afterwards things become a bit of a chaotic mess with ships in random spots near each other.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    Not a single example that you use, except maybe Sword of the Stars (which was very different) is applicable to Starmade realtime combat. Using Stellaris, that has like 2 effective ship builds, is basically an insult. And Star Trek never cared about combat beyond it looking pretty.

Reactions: Agame3 and MacThule
    Reaction score
    Any tiering of ranges I think will just hurt the game by being counter-intuitive (and unnecessary, we already get effective ranges from accuracy, only need to mess with beams as otherwise they'd be super OP).
    Static weapon ranges don't exactly seem to help make the game enjoyable.
    When small attack craft and large spaceships fight at the same range, it's a pretty awkward sight; As if a 9mm pistol and a 400mm naval cannon would both operate at the same ranges.
    It also makes shooting down small craft (either by AA turrets on a big ship or dogfighting between two small craft) tedious beyond words; They like to keep to their maximum weapon range, what is fit for a much larger ship, and being so tiny and distant, they appear as very small targets.

On the other hand, huge ships will try to keep the same distance, and due to their size they become a serious collision hazard.

In the old-old weapons system, the larger weapon you built, the greater range you got (plus, you could reallocate your points to make a tradeoff).
    That made way more sense. It was also way more comfortable to tweak your weapons performance; Have fun re-calculating the available space and desired primary-secondary-effect ratios when you feel like changing something in the current, live system.

Back then I heard they made this change in the name of fairness, but it'd have been better if they just made sure you can't track mosquitoes with doomsday weapons.

Reactions: Agame3 and MacThule
    Reaction score
    Not a single example that you use, except maybe Sword of the Stars (which was very different) is applicable to Starmade realtime combat. Using Stellaris, that has like 2 effective ship builds, is basically an insult. And Star Trek never cared about combat beyond it looking pretty.
    Looking pretty is pretty important. The weapons update has made weapons look pretty much as they do in Star Trek for a reason. Now, as to making combat sane, combat in Star Trek is very inconsistent, but there are general ideas from it, and they are mostly good:
    1. Beams are reliable damage-dealers and preferred for shielded targets, especially to disable specific systems
    2. Torpedos are greatly preferred to destroy unshielded targets
    3. Cannons are less accurate than beams and generally only found on small, very maneuverable ships*
    4. Shields can shrug off fire below some limit based on their strength. However, even a ship a fifth your size can eventually whittle them down, and it's hard to get them back up in combat while under fire.
    5. Shields being down is a big deal, but not the end. A few big hits to the reactor and you're done.
    6. Ships have weakpoints, even with shields up (so shields aren't the be-all end-all if you have good intel)
    7. Systems can explode from the above, possibly destroying the whole ship.
    8. Overpowered systems for a ship's size are more unstable (likely to explode).
    9. Ships are dead when cut in half (except for saucer separated from engineering hull).
    If you ask me, StarMade would be pretty good with most of these, they lend themselves to very interesting and tense combat.
    *The big exception, which at first seems weird, is normal omnidirectional phaser strip usage on the mirror universe Defiant despite it being supposedly the same design as the main universe, which never used a phaser strip. This can be easily explained tho with the same in-universe and out-of-universe explanation: Having it fire its cannons at point blank range at speed at specific weak turrets would be incredibly difficult without doing multiple risky passes; it made more sense to use an omnidirectional phaser strip (which can be easily added in post without looking dumb).
    Static weapon ranges don't exactly seem to help make the game enjoyable.
    When small attack craft and large spaceships fight at the same range, it's a pretty awkward sight; As if a 9mm pistol and a 400mm naval cannon would both operate at the same ranges.
    It also makes shooting down small craft (either by AA turrets on a big ship or dogfighting between two small craft) tedious beyond words; They like to keep to their maximum weapon range, what is fit for a much larger ship, and being so tiny and distant, they appear as very small targets.

On the other hand, huge ships will try to keep the same distance, and due to their size they become a serious collision hazard.

In the old-old weapons system, the larger weapon you built, the greater range you got (plus, you could reallocate your points to make a tradeoff).
    That made way more sense. It was also way more comfortable to tweak your weapons performance; Have fun re-calculating the available space and desired primary-secondary-effect ratios when you feel like changing something in the current, live system.

Back then I heard they made this change in the name of fairness, but it'd have been better if they just made sure you can't track mosquitoes with doomsday weapons.
    I think just making ranges larger by weapon size is too much of a contributor to TitanMade. It really isn't great when behemoths can snipe away fighters well before fighters can even really see them.
    Also, the thing keeping a 9mm IRL from having the range is gravity (not a big deal so far from planets or stars, and StarMade barely simulates it, and it wouldn't necessarily be perpendicular to firing direction anyways) and accuracy. A 400mm gun is very high accuracy with all the systems to stabilize it and the speed it's projectile goes.
    It would certainly be silly to see some X-wings dent a Star Destroyer from several kilometers away, but realistically all that would happen in the game is most of their shots would miss and the few that hit would barely do anything. Then some beam turrets would take out a few of them while they drop bombs. It'll be fine this way.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Beams are reliable damage-dealers and preferred for shielded targets, especially to disable specific systems

Ships have weakpoints, even with shields up (so shields aren't the be-all end-all if you have good intel)
    So why would I want to use other weapons if I could just add more beams to plough the enemy hull? If there is no need to even drop the shields to deal system damage I could just make a setup similar to miners and check the enemy shield for any problems. Hell it already was the case, though for different reasons.

The only reason could be if they have very low DPS and low effective range. Then, maybe, other weapons could be considered.

Reactions: MacThule and Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    So why would I want to use other weapons if I could just add more beams to plough the enemy hull? If there is no need to even drop the shields to deal system damage I could just make a setup similar to miners and check the enemy shield for any problems. Hell it already was the case, though for different reasons.

The only reason could be if they have very low DPS and low effective range. Then, maybe, other weapons could be considered.
    Or if the ratio of their power draw to damage started off low but scaled more quickly for more outputs than other weapons?

Reaction score
    Or if the ratio of their power draw to damage started off low but scaled more quickly for more outputs than other weapons?
    Splitting outputs over different computers is an old tradition. In worst case nothing stops you from spreading them over different entities.

Reactions: MacThule and Agame3
    Reaction score

A few lock-on missiles will destroy the enemy once their shields are down more efficiently, especially at long ranges when they're fleeing (against a fleeing ship, if they can exceed your speed, lock-on missiles are really the only reliable thing you'll have unless they're still pretty close). Also, beams in Star Trek with the shields up might impair or even damage a system, but total explosion of a system usually happens well after the shields are down unless a ship is horribly designed (the main example being a pretty small ship that had so many extra phaser banks it could rival a warship...but then exploded after one weak shot from Enterprise to disable those phaser banks in the TNG Spock episode).

And to talk about other weapons as wel:
    • For doom beams, you're of course going to want them to take out large and slow (or stationary) targets, and at a certain size of your ship, you might as well replace your main gun with it and leave the regular beams and such to turrets.
    • On the other end, if your ship is small and designed to fly around large ships so that only a few turrets can see it at a time, you'd want cannons for their higher DPS since accuracy won't matter as much. You'd probably want a turret or two of your own to be able to snipe turrets as you fly around, which might use beams or might also use cannons.
    • For a small ship at range, sniper cannons would be preferable since they're accurate, retain damage at range, and avoid PD.
    • Disruptors you'd want against enemies who don't think shields are worthwhile in favor of more armor, or for the later stages of combat, particularly if lots of PD is expected.

Any individual ship without a fleet or specialized role will probably just go with beams and maybe lock-on missiles, but the moment you have an actual meta forming, you'll get things like "the enemy has a capital ship and a station, we should probably refit our capital with a doom beam" or "they mostly turreted the sides of the ship, so we're going to have some of you fly in and cannon their ass while we pelt them at range. If anyone's daring, try to get a bomb off too on the main rear turret to protect everyone else" or even "the moment the shield drops, I want you to uncloak, unload all your dumbfires, and recloak; they won't know what hit 'em".

Last edited:
    Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    A few lock-on missiles will destroy the enemy once their shields are down more efficiently, especially at long ranges when they're fleeing (against a fleeing ship, if they can exceed your speed, lock-on missiles are really the only reliable thing you'll have unless they're still pretty close).
    How are you going to hit a ship jumping away with missiles? I don't remember anyone trying to run normally in Starmade. Most people just jump.
    Also, beams in Star Trek with the shields up might impair or even damage a system
    So a death spiral before shields even down. By the time shields are down enemy ship already lost 30-50% of it's combat capability and as it was already losing I don't see the need for missiles. Better to add some more beams instead of them so that enemies chances to bring my shields down would be even less and I would be able to beat his shields faster.
    For doom beams, you're of course going to want them to take out large and slow (or stationary) targets, and at a certain size of your ship, you might as well replace your main gun with it and leave the regular beams and such to turrets.
    Why? It's instant hit. As long as enemy is not hugging your hull you should be able to hit anything within range. (Well unless your ship is so shitty it could not turn). Also nothing stops you from mounting it on a turret. You'll need to do pretty nasty things to the game code so that people won't be able to put it on the turret.
    On the other end, if your ship is small and designed to fly around large ships so that only a few turrets can see it at a time, you'd want cannons for their higher DPS since accuracy won't matter as much. You'd probably want a turret or two of your own to be able to snipe turrets as you fly around, which might use beams or might also use cannons.
    *Checks combat ships* Never have seen a ship that is incapable of turning at least half of its turrets on a target, unless it is literally hugging its hull, and even then some of them could do it. Even if we take the top/bottom parts for vertical ships they could still turn around 1/3 of firepower there.
    For a small ship at range, sniper cannons would be preferable since they're accurate, retain damage at range, and avoid PD.
    Against bigger targets with shitty speeds maybe, but only if they have much better DPS than beams or else the instant hit nature of beam would win.

Reaction score
    I think just making ranges larger by weapon size is too much of a contributor to TitanMade. It really isn't great when behemoths can snipe away fighters well before fighters can even really see them.

I already offered a solution against that problem, in the very post you quoted.

it'd have been better if they just made sure you can't track mosquitoes with doomsday weapons.

About this;
    Also, the thing keeping a 9mm IRL from having the range is gravity (not a big deal so far from planets or stars, and StarMade barely simulates it, and it wouldn't necessarily be perpendicular to firing direction anyways) and accuracy. A 400mm gun is very high accuracy with all the systems to stabilize it and the speed it's projectile goes.
    Your projectiles may not drop to the ground, but energy blasts dissipate over distance (remember, it's an energy cannon) thus it stands to reason a larger blast from a larger cannon could travel further while retaining a sufficient amount of lethality. Plus a smaller weapon's comparatively slower projectiles - be they solid or energy based - would be drastically losing accuracy over greater ranges against moving targets, making them wholly impractical.
    And smaller missiles run out of propellant sooner, meaning they can no longer change course.

At any rate, sit in a small fighter with no AI weapons, spawn the same craft as a pirate, and tell me if you had fun chasing a dot for ten minutes.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    nothing stops you from spreading them over different entities.
    Except a scaling power draw from higher numbers of DEs. And a scaling power draw from high numbers of weapon computers.

It's not an insoluble problem or even a difficult one.

Reactions: Captain Fortius
    Reaction score
    And a scaling power draw from high numbers of weapon computers.
    That only works for pretty small ships. And if you make the power draw too big it would cripple small ships that want more than a couple of weapons.

It should innately be beneficial to have a big weapon instead of multiple small ones when fighting against a single opponent. But, naturally, it should not be beneficial if you are fighting against multiple opponents with total mass being similar to yours. Trying to balance it through gate measures just leads to people trying to find exploits that allow them to work around them.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    This is probably an important discussion for this phase of weapon development, actually. You're bringing up some major issues that I think have been widely regarded as inescapable ('it is known') and so left aside from discussion about improvement.

That only works for pretty small ships. And if you make the power draw too big it would cripple small ships that want more than a couple of weapons.
    I don't think a scaling power draw from high numbers of weapon systems would even affect small ships. I was responding directly & specifically to the long-established practice of evading the fundamental power checks on weapon output numbers by creating waffles and other arrays using separate computers for each output. That is an issue of dozens or hundreds of outputs, not 5 or 10 different weapons on a ship.

There is no risk that a power curb designed around dissuading an engineer from installing 10+ un-linked weapon systems on his turret to achieve a waffle while dodging the original curb could possibly impact a small ship. Unless it was also explicitly attempting to evade the standard power curb. If anything, this sort of check would require more nuance to prevent harming large ships that might legitimately be packing 10 different weapon systems on a single entity.

It should innately be beneficial to have a big weapon instead of multiple small ones when fighting against a single opponent. But, naturally, it should not be beneficial if you are fighting against multiple opponents with total mass being similar to yours. Trying to balance it through gate measures just leads to people trying to find exploits that allow them to work around them.
    The thing is, it already is beneficial to use one big weapon instead of multiple small ones, and people have already found exploits to work around it - multiple computers, massed DEs, etc. Well, those aren't really exploits, just massive loopholes that were never closed.

So that's not what will happen, that's what already has happened. Problem A is not a problem that arises from closing the loopholes that facilitate Problem A. That seems circular.

Meanwhile, I might be mistaking your meaning, but to say that those loopholes should not be closed because other exploits might arise seems unrealistic. There aren't an infinite number of (reasonably exploitable) loopholes within a single system. If that were the case, there would be no point to close down any exploit ever. But all games from every developer close out exploits. No one just leaves giant loopholes out there for fear that closing loopholes will lead to more loopholes. You couldn't even have a game in the first place if that were the case.

So weapons are already designed at their basis to demand more power for more outputs. Players install more computers and more DEs to evade that. IMO that's not an "exploit," but it does fly directly in the face of the obvious purpose of power draw scaling with more outputs in the first place.

I'm not trying to be combative, but I really don't see any good reason not to close the long-standing, obvious and easy loop-holes to core balance features of the game if an easy solution presents itself. It's extremely easy to apply a power curve to large numbers of weapon systems that directly reflects the power curve that exists to curb large numbers of outputs within a single system. Same goes for DEs. Turrets are weapons they should be treated as such. It would be easy for parent entities to inherit weapon system numbers from their DEs and apply a global value to a collective's total weapon systems, outputs, etc. Particularly because such a substantial number of the worst combat exploits have been entirely founded on the complete lack of any curb against massed DEs as if infinite capacity is somehow fundamentally necessary to basic shipbuilding.

A 300m battleship with 100 mixed turrets should be totally viable, but every DE on a docking tree should come a cost other than surface area, not be completely free or without tradeoff.

In fact, it may be necessary in the long term to institute a function whereby the engine can recognize the difference between a ship docked to a station, and a turret or ship docked to another ship, because IIRC "but stations!" has been a frequent reason for rejecting DE controls in the past.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    The thing is, it already is beneficial to use one big weapon instead of multiple small ones, and people have already found exploits to work around it - multiple computers, massed DEs, etc. Well, those aren't really exploits, just massive loopholes that were never closed.
    No. It is beneficial to have many outputs (beams) instead of one. But the benefit is somewhat undermined by penalties - either by the complexity of installed system (a shitton of computers) or by penalties to energy consumption. This is gating, as in adding strictly negative features on a clearly superior weapon setup.

What should be is that one output weapon should outperform multiple outputs unless there is multiple targets or some other special circumstances. As in two identical ships where one has 100 beams/guns and the other has only 1 big mount - the one with only one gun should have a decisive victory bar some extreme features of the base ship design. And that should be the case even if the energy draw and the number of resources used in each setup is basically the same.

This way players would naturally lean to minimize number of outputs on their ships to essential minimum. This in theory would also positively impact game performance.

It is already partially the case with doom beam which deals a lot of damage, though you still want some splitting but not as extreme. Acid naturally allows to somewhat bypass the need for multiple outputs but still not enough by itself to completely shut it down.

One of the ways to do it is to piggyback the armour thickness check and instead of checking for pure penetration to divide incoming damage by a number proportional to Armour Thickness^2 (or a little more than 2 depending on desirable results). This way making armour two times thicker would drop down the damage 4 times from the previous value but will not reduce it to a single block of damage. With such a formula multitudes of very weak outputs become more or less useless, dealing pitiful damage.

Though you are still left with a corner case of ships that do not use any armour and are just shot through by heavy weapons instead of taking acid damage. But! That's actually good as it makes people consider putting non-armour penetrating weapons with very wide acid area on their ships - though you still need to make them better than multi-beam setups.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    One of the ways to do it is to piggyback the armour thickness check and instead of checking for pure penetration to divide incoming damage by a number proportional to Armour Thickness^2 (or a little more than 2 depending on desirable results).
    I hadn't thought of that. That's a good solution - I love it.
    Definitely more eloquent than my line of thinking on outputs.

Has that seen its own suggestion before?

Because they are making tons of changes with weapons including some very experimental-seeming ones and several that are obviously pulled directly from the forums and I'm guessing that if they were ever to test such a damage scheme now would be the time they'd be open to the idea.

Reaction score
    What should be is that one output weapon should outperform multiple outputs unless there is multiple targets or some other special circumstances. As in two identical ships where one has 100 beams/guns and the other has only 1 big mount - the one with only one gun should have a decisive victory bar some extreme features of the base ship design. And that should be the case even if the energy draw and the number of resources used in each setup is basically the same.
    Yes.
    Simplest thing I can think of right now, a weapon's power could scale exponentially per added block; One big output weapon would be extremely damaging, while a weapon with many small outputs would harmlessly ping off of heavier armor.

At the same time, I wouldn't want to be punished for having more than one - but still a reasonable amount - of gun barrels ( such as a naval turret with three big cannons, or a few rotary cannons with 3-6 barrels each... ).

Sequential fire could be an answer to keep them viable options; Naturally, it'd cost one third the power to discharge one of the three smaller cannons, than it would cost to shoot a single cannon three times the size. Even if the big cannon's projectile would be more powerful than the three smaller weapons combined, a ship could benefit from a gentler, more even power drain over a sudden drastic spike, and the more even stream of projectiles could make it more likely to score a hit on your target.

Some sort of selector switch could be added to weapon computers that'd let you choose if you want all connected groups to discharge at the same time or in sequence, with an additional delay selector;
    You could set them up to either go boom-boom-boom wait-wait-wait, or boom-wait-boom-wait-boom-wait.

This way, increasing your weapon groups size and number could both be attractive options, and each builder could decide how to balance his creations.

Reaction score
    Simplest thing I can think of right now, a weapon's power could scale exponentially per added block; One big output weapon would be extremely damaging, while a weapon with many small outputs would harmlessly ping off of heavier armor.
    Exponential growth is bad because it puts additional advantages on heavier ships. Which already have enough of them. Also weapons already outperform armour by a good margin, especially as the size goes up.

At the same time, I wouldn't want to be punished for having more than one - but still a reasonable amount - of gun barrels ( such as a naval turret with three big cannons, or a few rotary cannons with 3-6 barrels each... ).
    Multi-output weapons are better when dealing with smaller or lightly armoured targets. Less chances of over-penetration and more chances to hit.

Sequential fire could be an answer to keep them viable options; Naturally, it'd cost one third the power to discharge one of the three smaller cannons, than it would cost to shoot a single cannon three times the size.
    There are no energy batteries any more. You could do something similar with previous power version.

Some sort of selector switch could be added to weapon computers that'd let you choose if you want all connected groups to discharge at the same time or in sequence, with an additional delay selector;
    It is already possible for logic controlled guns, but doesn't work for AI turrets.