[DEV Build] How the bloody hell do you dock rails?

Auriga_Nexus

Befriender of Worlds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So I copied over a station from one of my multiplayer servers into single-player dev build, with the intent of updating the station to utilize rails (this will save on work when they finally hit release).

This station had several of the old style docks with entities such as ships docked to them.

Anyways, I had a ship docked normally, I added rail dockers to it and a set of rails directly underneath. I undocked the ship then tried to dock it again, but I keep getting an error message saying I can't mix the two systems. I deleted the old dock and went to make a platform ship to be docked to the rails that can move in and out of the area where the old dock was, tried docking that, same bloody error.

So I'm kind of frustrated because I don't have a bleeding clue how you are actually supposed to dock rails, I've been using the rail blocks directly from the hotbar to try and attach to rail section, and NOTHING. WORKS.

The only thing I can think of is I still have the old-style docks on other areas of the station. I'll go back and delete them all but I still don't see how that makes a difference if any.

That being said, I HAVE to be doing something wrong otherwise I wouldn't be having this problem, but even though there are a lot of players playing the dev build already NO ONE has posted any basic information, tutorials, or even a bleeding tooltip on how these things work. Some documentation would be nice, all of the new blocks all have just "WiP" in their descriptions, yes I understand its a work in progress it wouldn't be limited to just the dev build if it wasn't but it would be nice if someone could take 5 minutes out of their coding schedule to write a few short paragraphs on HOW DO I DOCK RAIL because this is ridiculous.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    go into the weapons menu and add the rail docking unit and then dock to a rail or rotator (dock to the rail while having the rail docking unit selected and shoot at the rail)
    EDIT: made this a little bit easier to understand

Auriga_Nexus

Befriender of Worlds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ok so I figured out it was because I still had standard docks on the station. I took those off and it works fine now

But now I have another problem. In all of the videos I have seen using rails, it is possible to make entities moving along the rail A) stop, and B) move in the opposite direction using logic.

But my rail will not respond to any logic, whenever I dock to it it immediately moves me to the end of the rail and just sits there. No back and forth movement, no movement at all other than shunting me to the side when I first dock.

I understand rails are still a work in progress but unless I know HOW they are SUPPOSED to work there is no way to differentiate program bugs from user error, and the lack of any instructions or documentations concerning the use of rails makes me want to scream and possibly smash expensive electronic devices. If someone already posted this then they need to make it easier to find, maybe post a link or something. It's obvious rails are complete "enough" to be functional, so there is no excuse for not having a how-to for people who want to experiment with them especially since these people are the ones spotting the bugs for you in the first place, and anyone who says otherwise better have a good reason if they don't wanna get befriended.

Last edited: