[Dev build 124] Error Msg spam + chamber config erased

Auriga_Nexus

Befriender of Worlds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ok so this is a bug that occurred last night oh about 0030 Mountain Daylight Time (Denver, USA) on the official dev testing server. I will send in a bug report shortly - gotta recover my phab account first since it's been years since I've logged in - but I figured admins need to be aware as this is an ongoing problem.

Logged into devtest server around 2000-2200 MDT to play around with new power system. Built a small station in sector 3 -3 3 system 0 -1 0, approximately 5 sectors below spawn relative to galactic plane. Station had a reactor + stab, cargo space, and a shipyard array.

Started working on a design for a cargo ship using the shipyard so I could get materials from spawn. Decided to play around with chambers a bit.

I had a 20-block reactor in my ship, plus a speed chamber, a mass chamber, and a chain of two FTL chambers treeing out from my reactor.

I went to go configure the FTL chambers. The first chamber I configured for FTL power efficiency. The second chamber was intended to lower shield drop upon jump-in; however, when I selected this option in the menu the server started spamming an error message.

Logged out and went to bed. Logged in a few minutes ago around 1430, the message was still being spammed. Also, the existing chamber config on my design has disappeared.

Going to log back in and see if unloading the design or editing it helps. Worst case scenario may need a dev or admin to boot the server if the message refuses to clear.

I'll post a more detailed bug report later once I've had a chance to troubleshoot around a bit.

UPDATE: I think I might have found on accident the exact cause of this bug, which is a bit of a lucky strike. I've posed a few screenshots below for visual reference.

In the first screen (0000) we're looking at the inside of my ship in build mode. Here you can see exposed bits of my two FTL chambers, above and below. The upper chamber is linked to the reactor in the background. The pickup rail blocks in the image are NOT PART OF THE SHIP. Instead they form a rail from a pickup point outside the shipyard array to the shipyard core anchor, where the core of my ship is currently.

In the second screen (0002 and 0003) I have placed a conduit in the center between the two chambers. Note how the conduit is highlighted indicating it is active. Notice also how the highlighted conduit overlaps and clips into the pickup rail block from the station in the same place. The error message spam begins as soon as that block is placed, and continues until it is removed - see upper left corner in screen 0002. As for the erased chamber config, it appears to have returned after re-loading the design.

Seeing as I had actually placed the conduit block in that exact same position beforehand, but had not had any errors until I activated the bottom chamber connected by that conduit block, its safe to assume the issue in this case is having a highlighted conduit block in the same space as a pickup rail block. It MIGHT be an issue with the highlight graphical effect interfering with the texture/mesh/whatever of the pickup rail block, but seeing as the issue persists outside of build mode (when the pickup rail block is invisible) I think it might be more complicated than that.

Going to see if I can post an official bug report now. It doesn't seem to have really broken anything, but error spam can be annoying in the long run so best to add this to the list.

UPDATE: Bug report is up.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Followed your reproduce steps but it seems I'm not getting the issue. Perhaps I'm lucky, or it's already fixed along the way.
    Do you have logs of the server when this issue happened? If not, can you try to reproduce it again and get those logs? You need to do it in SP or the logs will be from your client if you do it on a MP server. You'll need a server owner or someone with access to the logs to get them for you then.

Runtime exception could be about something that was still unimplemented at the time.