Dev Blog : November 27th 2015

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Umm...that sounds like a Scavangers faction to me. Maybe Schine should put one into the game...

So, council turn over. Does that mean we will be seeing the new launcher officially released soon? (iirc, that was the major delay)

As far as the competitions go, I would define the style and then let players submit entries. The definitions don't need to be really in depth tho. A couple colors, a few adjectives, a general purpose and direction for the faction.
    ei, Red/Orange, mean, rowdy and dirty, likes to make lots of money and want to open a broadway musical.​
    Well the issue is that it is meant to be random. It would be counterproductive to ask the builders to use a specific style. Most competitions would be used to introduce new random ship sets. At least for now. Once people are familiar with an established faction we might get a contest running to create some special unique ships for them as well.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The contests in question would be for random NPC factions, not established ones. In which case we would want variety.
    Criss plz, why you be dingus?

Having a contest for people to submit styles, many people on forums, many people who build with particular styles, many different styles, seriously how is this bad? xD

I don't want to encounter a fleet, with a few borg ships, an enterprise, an EVE Dragoon and a velator, all under the same faction, because lets be honest that's fucking stupid, and will immediately kill any immersion in an instant. I would assume that most people (including Bench) would prefer for factions to use their own style. The style contest would be for as many different styles as humanly possible, and even then people can probably come up with some more. I have four styles which I've been slowly developing to actually create some ships at some point, and I would expect many others to have a similar situation.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I don't want to encounter a fleet, with a few borg ships, an enterprise, an EVE Dragoon and a velator, all under the same faction, because lets be honest that's fucking stupid, and will immediately kill any immersion in an instant. I would assume that most people (including Bench) would prefer for factions to use their own style. The style contest would be for as many different styles as humanly possible, and even then people can probably come up with some more. I have four styles which I've been slowly developing to actually create some ships at some point, and I would expect many others to have a similar situation.
    I think you're misunderstanding here. A player would submit a fleet under a unified style to be used for a random faction. It wouldn't be a collection of random ships thrown together as one faction.

Also, I have my doubts ANY ships that are clearly from another franchise would be added.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think you're misunderstanding here. A player would submit a fleet under a unified style to be used for a random faction. It wouldn't be a collection of random ships thrown together as one faction.

Also, I have my doubts ANY ships that are clearly from another franchise would be added.
    OOOH, oops, Criss plz, forgive me, I was dingus. :p

Yeah, misunderstood that for him not wanting people to submit styles, rather than him saying that they wont ask people to submit a style that the devs choose. :p

I guessed that much, but familiarity gets the point across much nicer than referencing a bunch of factions that lets be honest, only half of the forums would recognize.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I guessed that much, but familiarity gets the point across much nicer than referencing a bunch of factions that lets be honest, only half of the forums would recognize.
    Not when familiarity raises legal issues. :P

...But yeah, I guess.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    OOOH, oops, Criss plz, forgive me, I was dingus. :p

Yeah, misunderstood that for him not wanting people to submit styles, rather than him saying that they wont ask people to submit a style that the devs choose. :p

Yes that would be the idea. We would ask for a few ships at least.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    perhaps give different factions special abilities on ships and faction specific weaknesses for counter -balancing.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    perhaps give different factions special abilities on ships and faction specific weaknesses for counter -balancing.
    No need to give them some sort of external boost, if that's what you're suggesting. Just build them that way.

For example- there's no need to give the TG a boost with cannon weapons- just outfit them with stronger cannon weapons than anyone else.