Dev Blog : May 30th 2016

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Perhaps it would just play the first time you opened the game, with a checkbox in options if you wanted it to play again after that?

Reactions: Valck

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Downloading all of the videos sounds terrible. Isn't there a way to do YouTube integration?

Reaction score
    Downloading all of the videos sounds terrible. Isn't there a way to do YouTube integration?
    I agree, but if separating the videos from the main game download shouldn't happen, I'd still prefer a full package containing everything from a site Schine owns and controls, over streamed content involving a third party.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    And risk angering anyone that wants to play offline? The moment we require online for anything, we will receive criticism. We are of course going to receive it if we download the tutorials instead, but weighing to options, I would say it's worth it. We can do our best to make the videos short and small.

We can still make it an option.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    It's not like you are torrenting 100s of full length videos. Lots of 3ish minute guides shouldn't be that large. You'll only need to download once anyway.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464966041,1464965891][/DOUBLEPOST]
    And risk angering anyone that wants to play offline? The moment we require online for anything, we will receive criticism. We are of course going to receive it if we download the tutorials instead, but weighing to options, I would say it's worth it. We can do our best to make the videos short and small.

One thing to think about for the future is allowing custom videos server side that clients would receive upon connection. Specifically if the server has created content in game. It would reduce the hassle on content creators and only require the server admin to install.

Reactions: Valck

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Perhaps you could add a separate option to download the tutorial videos. Some players may have no interest in them at all.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Perhaps you could add a separate option to download the tutorial videos. Some players may have no interest in them at all.
    If it is not the default option, I can guarantee you that people are going to skip it, realize they have no idea what they're doing, and stop playing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The tutorials currently bring the game up to 468MB. Which is still incredibly small in terms of game size. I understand that many people won't like the 200+mb size increase, however it is still a small download in the overall scale of game size.
    And as nightrune said - You'll only be downloading them once, for a normal user.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Hm, since you need an online connection for every update, I think being online isn't that much a problem for most.
    I don't think btw that the short initial videos should be downloaded separately, but more in depth ones, I suppose will be there in the future, should be streamed in, instead of being part of the install.

And for those stating some don't need the tutorials, after all this time playing now knowing I can use Ctrl - Mousewheel to rotate rotatable blocks was really new to me. In other words don't think there's not more to learn at any time. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reactions: kiraen

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    The style of videos we're looking at will mean the file sizes shouldn't be significant for majority of the videos. It will more be the fact that there's so much you can learn in-game and do, that covering everything might mean there's just a lot of videos. And that's okay, because after they're downloaded once, you won't need to download them again, only any ones for new features we introduce into the game. And that's why we're doing this all now, setting the fundamentals of an in-game tutorial system, so that as we introduce brand new features you gain access to the information on how they work and how to best utilize them right there and then.

Reactions: Tomssuli