Dev Blog : February 13th 2016

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'd like the limiting factor of fleets to be faction points. Maybe have defensive fleets cost much less, to give the defenders an advantage.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'd like the limiting factor of fleets to be faction points. Maybe have defensive fleets cost much less, to give the defenders an advantage.
    Ideally, in the future, the limiting factor of fleets would be crew. They, of course, might cost faction points to keep around... And faction points when they die, too.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ideally, in the future, the limiting factor of fleets would be crew. They, of course, might cost faction points to keep around... And faction points when they die, too.
    Attacking fleet crew want paid more because they're in constant danger? I just feel like defensive fleets need some kind of buff, since they're more resource intensive to maintain compared to an assault fleet.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I disagree.
    Solo players would then be unable to utilize drones or NPC hirelings.
    Defensive fleets would already have home field advantage. Defense stations, weapons platforms, reinforcements, and possibly weapon/shield bonuses like the mining bonus. Plus, for it to do you any good, you would have to know the attack was coming.

Any limitations to fleets should be server/hardware/code limitations. Fleets will already have soft limitations based on resources and command assets (ie: actual players controlling the fleets). If you can build the fleet, you should be able to field the fleet.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I disagree.
    Solo players would then be unable to utilize drones or NPC hirelings.
    Most solo players still have a solo faction, don't they? Besides, if FP gain was inverted to territory +, players -/0 (as it should be), solo players would still be able to run drones, fleets, and NPCs.

Defensive fleets would already have home field advantage. Defense stations, weapons platforms, reinforcements, and possibly weapon/shield bonuses like the mining bonus. Plus, for it to do you any good, you would have to know the attack was coming.
    Those all cost resources. Like, a LOT of resources. That's almost a debuff instead.

Any limitations to fleets should be server/hardware/code limitations. Fleets will already have soft limitations based on resources and command assets (ie: actual players controlling the fleets). If you can build the fleet, you should be able to field the fleet.
    Yeah, I'd rather not see every single fleet that exists just be a massive drone swarm. Drones are cheaper than a full sized ship for the damage they can put out. There needs to be some kind of limitation, or every fleet will be drones, instead of only certain specialized carrier ships being the only ones using them.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Yeah, I'd rather not see every single fleet that exists just be a massive drone swarm. Drones are cheaper than a full sized ship for the damage they can put out. There needs to be some kind of limitation, or every fleet will be drones, instead of only certain specialized carrier ships being the only ones using them.
    DRONE WARS

bzzt bzzt bzzt bzzzzzzzzzzzt bzzt bzzzt bzzt bzzt bzzzzt bzzt bzzt bzt bzt bzt bzzzt bzzt bzzt bzzzzt bzzzt bzzt bzt bztt bzt bzzzzt bzt bzzzt bzzt bzzzt bzzzt bzzzZzZzZzZZZZZZZZt bzzzt bzzt bzzzt bzzzzzt bzzt bzzt bzzzzt bzzzt bzzzt bzzt bzzzt bzzzzt bzt bzt bzt bzt bzt bzt bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzT

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Eh, for a while they will be drone swarms, but ideally flying normal AI fleets will soon/eventually require NPC pilots for all the fleet ships. A drone controller which synchronizes AIs to work a bit like pilots and be able to follow a carrier, could then become a capital ship system.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    For the moment however, I suppose if you wanted to create 500 ships and put them in a fleet they will all try and act as a fleet.. I am pretty sure there is no cap on that right just yet.
    OH REALLY?!?!?! So there is no cap ? Did I ever tell you how much I love you guys? Really I do. lol Ok I'm buying my ticket for the Hype train!!! You guys are awesome

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    OH REALLY?!?!?! So there is no cap ? Did I ever tell you how much I love you guys? Really I do. lol Ok I'm buying my ticket for the Hype train!!! You guys are awesome

Everyone run while you can, I think banks here plans on murdering everyone o_o

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    oh my dream of an actual hive fleet is approaching.

hehehehehehehehehehehehehe my fleets will be the size of galaxies hehehehehehehehehehehehehehhe

and I think the only buff a defensive fleet should get would be that you could "lock" it in position, like if you want you could have the ships just act as a blockade. whereas attacking fleets could have different formations such as "arrow head" or just swarm that one big ship with everything (ie what I will be doing)