Dev Blog : December 6th

Ultragamer2000

why am i still here?
    Reaction score
    Will there be a way to increase the difficulty
    Like a super genoicde death faction of intergalacticness and blood and pipe and factory and etc

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Schine should definitely think about having custom factions be able to be confined to a single folder within the factions folder, so they can have custom configs for them specifically, with subfolders in turn for things like their blueprints for ships, stations, etc etc
    Good thing we did then!

Guide to NPC faction directory structure

In the npcFactions folder you will find...

Screenshot_2.jpg

The "npcConfigDefault.xml" has all the default config values for a npcFaction.
    The "npcSpawnConfig.xml" handles the selecting and spawning of factions for the server.

Each of the folders is a faction, doing into a folder gives us...

Screenshot_3.jpg

So we have the same config file as the default one listed above, only with the default removed. This xml file called "npcConfig.xml" handles all the configurations for the NPC faction.

There's also the blueprints zip, this contains all the ships and stations for the faction...

Screenshot_4.jpg

Now these aren't the compressed sment files, they're straight from the blueprints folder of the game and then zipped into a blueprints.zip file included in a faction's folder.

All the blueprints you are using need to have a classification when the blueprint is saved, so the NPC faction config has the right ones load for the right reasons. You will find this as a setting in-game when you go to save your blueprints...

Screenshot_5.jpg

Reactions: Top 4ce and kiddan
    Reaction score

Good thing we did then!

Guide to NPC faction directory structure

In the npcFactions folder you will find...

View attachment 35451

The "npcConfigDefault.xml" has all the default config values for a npcFaction.
    The "npcSpawnConfig.xml" handles the selecting and spawning of factions for the server.

Each of the folders is a faction, doing into a folder gives us...

View attachment 35453

So we have the same config file as the default one listed above, only with the default removed. This xml file called "npcConfig.xml" handles all the configurations for the NPC faction.

There's also the blueprints zip, this contains all the ships and stations for the faction...

View attachment 35454

Now these aren't the compressed sment files, they're straight from the blueprints folder of the game and then zipped into a blueprints.zip file included in a faction's folder.

All the blueprints you are using need to have a classification when the blueprint is saved, so the NPC faction config has the right ones load for the right reasons. You will find this as a setting in-game when you go to save your blueprints...

View attachment 35455
    Would it be possible to add extra folders to list with Trade Guild/Scavs etc or will all custom factions be like the procedural factions.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Could we get a little more explanation on the different classifications. Since it seems there are some redundant ones under the station saves. Like Shopping and Trade, to me that's the same thing, also Factory and Mining stations seem like they'd be the same as well since most players would have them both together unless they have a storage silo somewhere for excess.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I'm guessing there will be a factions section in Community Content and people will be able to share pre made ones?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Would it be possible to add extra folders to list with Trade Guild/Scavs etc or will all custom factions be like the procedural factions.
    What do you mean? Don't quite understand.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I think he is asking if you are going to be able to add new factions by simply making a named folder with the required parts.

Reaction score
    Do you need access to those files to change the NPC factions ships/stations? or will there be ingame admin commands/options to do so?

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm currently in progress of building a Star Trek server, and have been for years lol, but with this addition I'm so glad that my Ferengi ships are almost finished, now they can be my trade faction.

Remember the Ninth Rule of Acquisition: Opportunity plus instinct equals profit.

Reaction score
    Wow, so glad I got this game just in time for this epic update!

Will it be possible to fight alongside npc factions? For instance, could you ally with an npc faction to fight a huge super powerful faction, and somehow organize a war plan with your ally, or at least somehow help lead their fleet?

Reactions: Szlfsz

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Wow, so glad I got this game just in time for this epic update!

Will it be possible to fight alongside npc factions? For instance, could you ally with an npc faction to fight a huge super powerful faction, and somehow organize a war plan with your ally, or at least somehow help lead their fleet?
    I'd say this is worthy for a new thread in the suggestions forum! Could be a new faction option called "Offer Bounty" "Allied Attack" or something along those lines.

P.S: Welcome to the Starmade forum! :)

yoyo2901

Meatshield
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    what are the expectations of when the update comes online?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Do you need access to those files to change the NPC factions ships/stations? or will there be ingame admin commands/options to do so?
    Down the line, it may be possible to create a new default faction from in game. But there are a lot of variables for the factions, a lot. Adjusting it all from in game would be just as tedious I think.

could you ally with an npc faction
    Yes, but the extent of which is unknown.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Down the line, it may be possible to create a new default faction from in game. But there are a lot of variables for the factions, a lot. Adjusting it all from in game would be just as tedious I think.
    This is where having a menu like the catalog manager for this would come in handy. Rather than be in the playing space of the game having it accessible from the mainmenu instead like it is. :)

Also I'm thinking the different station/ship categories should have checkboxes by them rather than be single select as this will cut down on having to save a ship or station more than once if it has multiple roles but not worthy of putting in general role.

Reaction score
    With the anticipation of the update and the scale of it, has it been looked at to release it in parts?

We all realize this game is still in Alpha and not everything is going to be perfect but if, say, Update Part #1 was just the integration of the NPC factions into the galaxy and they just sit there and defend their systems and give players something to shoot at/look at. After that there can be other updates that incorporate all the freaking amazing features of the factions. Doing this in my opinion would get all of us past this nail biting, not optional, server reset that everyone is now playing SP in anticipation of.