Destroy a sun?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Some fool says he can kill the sun but so far getting anywhere near the thing vaporizes anything and currently causes direct damage to the pilot. So is he crazy or can it be done?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1438041118,1438039313][/DOUBLEPOST]hmm now that I got the brag-o-matic to talk more it sounds more like he makes a ship totally out of warheads and push clocks it into the sun and the lag causes the system to crash and reset. >_> Anyone want to test this out?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Removing a sun takes a lot of work, and I don't think any of that can be done "in-game" so to speak.

Also solar radiation only kills players not ships, I have spent plenty of time fishing intact ships from the grasp of a star only to eat them in my hunger.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Yes I know and that's what has me thinking. So he likely just crashes the whole solar system with the number of explosives going off, some kind of logic bomb to sync detonate them all at once. Or the heat from the sun does to work of causing the warheads to go off. Either way that's a big number of explosives to cause that to happen.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Suns are not an entity, and therefore cannot be "destroyed" unless somehow you go through some code, but I'm not too savvy on that part.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm so that means he's likely just crashing the server over a wide area or he's hacking.

TheBlueThunder

Algorithm of hacks
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So if I destroy a sun wouldn't it become a super nova and wouldn't that just destroy my ship and my whole crew of Dave... and the whole system?

Mmmm... Why not, I should test that crazy idea xD I'll be back with answers for you. If I make it out alive that is xD

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    he seems to use the logic push combination to d it and just drop the thing off at the edge of the kill zone. I'm guessing he shoots it into the core sector of the sun and lets the block damage do the rest.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I'm just going to put a logic swarmer trap satellite group near the sun to ruin his plan. :P So as far as we know he's either crashing the server in that area forcing a reset or he's hacking or he's just plain crazy. So if he does try and pull this stunt I'm going to make sure he goes out with a bang with his own bomb. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    even sector reset wont remove the sun... he needs to corrupt the entire galaxy and get teh galaxy reset to get rid of the sun otherwise its still there

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    That and the admins are likely to perma-ban him for causing the amount of lag or hacking to do so. :)

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    AFAIK the sun is actually a single invisible block, directly at the center of the bloom effect, and has 5 hp.
    so, a large enough explosion, targeted well enough, could very well destroy a sun.

Back in the day a 3^3 "skin" around that block would stop the damage rays from hitting other objects. Granted this comes from a previous incarnation of the universe where a lone spaceman riding a push module "surfbord" into that star wouldn't take any damage, so may have been "fixed"

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm we have to test this out and see if it can be done. :) The issue is the block likely doesn't collide with anything also why does it have so little HP for something when the planets around it have tons more? o_O

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    so blast waves hitting it at all must be a little known bug too. Since it isn't suppose to be able to be destroyed. :) I'm going to see if I can con this fool into doing it and gather a ton of the server players to watch. :)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm almost 100% certain you can't destroy suns. There's nothing to destroy. They have a center point, but it isn't made of blocks, and it isn't killable. I believe that if you covered up that center point the sun stops killing, but visually, it's still there.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    which means that unless he proves us all wrong he's just a crazy person that found a bug in the game or is just claiming he can do it when he can't. :)

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I can do a quick check to confirm whether or not stars have any kind of hittable block,visible or not.

Edit: Ok stars don't have any blocks to hit, in fact they're not even entities rather they are a property of the sector itself.

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Not sure how to check other than send a massive bunch of warheads into the sun and logic det them. The sun should just be a point of light and death so I'm still puzzled how someone can kill an object that has nothing to destroy or collide with.

In any even I was also planning on creating a second world and testing this too later since an object like the sun likely doesn't have anything to collide with. I'm guessing it would be like a space station where there is only a single thing there if there is anything at all.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    In any even I was also planning on creating a second world and testing this too later since an object like the sun likely doesn't have anything to collide with. I'm guessing it would be like a space station where there is only a single thing there if there is anything at all.
    Nah trust me on this there's literally nothing there, no blocks, not even a distinct entity. Suns in-game are less substantial than cannon bullets.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    god mode -> go to the EXACT center of the sector-> build a station in cubic form-> one-several blocks should refuse to place, showing you the star's "origin" block.