Default vision values need adjustment for ranged weapons

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I think some of the default values universes start with should be adjusted in order to make different weapon setups viable.

---edit---
    rapidfire cannons and heatseeking missiles seem to be the most picked choices right now. Why? Well because anything else has issues people don't like. Going for range means being in the disadvantage because beam weapons as secondarys don't add damage. Also you can't use them for you don't see that far. If a broader variety of weapons should be utilized and thus more tactics establish in the game then they should at least work before people think of using them.
    ---/edit---

(old post before updated .cfg so don't mind the values the issue still stays the same if i have a weapon that can fire distance x then view distance should be at least x*1.2)

my SP universe is a default world and i noticed that i can't use long range missiles - at all for the enemy is not longer in my hud nor can i spot them. I could aim at targets 4800 meters away but there is no constellation you would ever see something that far. also diamond shapes on the hub for targets 2k away are already so dim you barely can notice them even in really dark systems.
    Same goes for Cannon + beam , 3km range at 1:1 ratio.
    I just would find it lame if such stuff would be in place to force players to use rapidfire over range.

YES, i know everyone could change some values in the config file. but if you check out a new game for the first time and it sucks you don't bother with reading that far neither study the configfile to adjust everything properly this is why i suggest haveing to look into it.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I suspect that your SP universe has carried over the old server config settings. I actually don't know though, as I haven't done a fresh install since the universe rework. I believe that the new default sector size is quite a lot bigger.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, the sector size doesn't update after updating, neither after making a new universe.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Yeah, the sector size doesn't update after updating, neither after making a new universe.
    You'd probably want to delete your server config in that case. The game will generate a new one with the updated values.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    so even if i generate a new universe in the newest game version it still takes old values? then please fix this :)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    so even if i generate a new universe in the newest game version it still takes old values? then please fix this :)
    Delete your old server.cfg file. It'll make a new one when you boot up the game again.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    ok i deleted the cfg. generated a new world and wow everything has an increased range and wow i also see further but. A target disappears somewhere around 4k distance!
    Now i build a drone gave it missile + beam so it as a distance of 9.6k and also cannons with 6k distance. i flew away from a target 5kish spawned a drone. and it just kept sitting there because for us the target was not there i don't get it in my list because it is to far away. but i could fire at it! in theory.
    Ok i gave the drone a push towards the target and as soon as it spawned the drone went into it's fighting pattern shooting at the target, target lost shield YAY drone fought the target from around 4kish distance . suddelny the shields did not drop any further.
    i could not see my drone so i went looking for it. Then the shield of the target again did drop and there was my drone in the list...

Dear schema if weapons have the ability to hit targets 9.6k away i want to at least see 12km and i don't want stuff to go unloaded while in combat at all ever! And please make AI's use all their wepons to their advantage why would an AI fight another ai in cannonrange if it only had long range weaponry available it should backpedal untill at maximum distance (of the lowest available weapon distance of couse).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I think if you make sectors 12K and make missile-beam approx. 10K distance(with other weapons changed to scale, and speed cap upped), it might work.