Decrease Weapons Range

Reaction score
    I believe to help with server issues, like people getting killed from non loaded ships or non loaded sectors, weapons range needs to be decreased.

Right now the range of long range weapons is 4.8X the size of sectors and short range is 0.5X.

I suggest the ratio is brought down to 0.5X for long range and 0.15X for short range.

* A way to increase sector size without increasing weapons range would be a fix also.

People still will have some issues with people shot from unloaded sectors but it will limit it at least.

I also think, not sure about this but, this issues could be causing the game to crash for servers. When someone shoots off a large amount of items from one sector into another. After gaining target on something and backing out of the sector they can fire. I would hope the targeting range would be decreased as well to help the issue.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Just one problem: what happens if your ship is longer than the weapons range?

Reaction score
    On my server we already have the sector size to 10km, I would love to make them a light year across. The nearest neighbor to our sun is just about 1 light year away.

With a Sector size of 10km short range is at 1,500 km and 5,000 km for long range. Right now the range is 48,000km for long range and 5,000km for short range, allowing long range to shoot over 5 sectors away.

Sectors can not stay the default size is much to small ratio to real life.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    this game is not real life and I think a ratio that take the size of the ship in account would be a better idea :)

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Right, because we should totally be encourging gigantism. /sarcasm
    oh please stop with that gigantism thingy , a 1Km long ship shouldnt have a same weapon range as a little spaceship
    there should be a max range ratio and min range ratio in the server.cfg that make the weapon range change according to the spaceship's size

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    oh please stop with that gigantism thingy , a 1Km long ship shouldnt have a same weapon range as a little spaceship
    there should be a max range ratio and min range ratio in the server.cfg that make the weapon range change according to the spaceship's size
    That is not the debate, the debate is that should not have 1km long ships in the first place as they are overpowered and lag-fests.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    they are not overpowered, and I'm not talking of multiplayer but both SP and MP

Reaction score
    When you talk about limiting the building potential of a ship for the sake of nerfing the weapons range, then we have a problem. This game is first and foremost a sandbox. You don't try to limit the ship building in a game about ship building. You need to have a solution that will support ships both large and small. If we did decrease the base size of the weapon, is it configurable to be extended? Would larger ships have the ability to increase this even more? Is it a good idea to give large ships longer range weapons? If not, how do we even the playing field? We need to put a little thought into these arguments or else its just complaining.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    thet's exactly what I think and the reason why I said a ratio in the config would be a good idea, if server don't big ship to have a high weapon range they just have to change it in the server's setting , while if in another server or in singleplayer some want bigger weapon range with bigger ship they just have to change it too
    a base range with a minimum range ratio and a maximum range ratio would be a really good idea in term of freedom of gameplay
    wich actually is the main goal of a sandbox: freedom

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    2 things, first, shorter weapon range, really? They've been begging for longer weapon range forever. It's here, now deal with it.

Secondly, the answer is better ai. Ai that won't attack over a certain range unless attacked first at that range. I agree that sniper pirates are bs, but so it's limiting weapon range.

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    Change your sector size to 20km, in your block config file change the distance of cannons to .1, missile to .15, and beam to .1 . This will gives long range weapons a 8.5 km range and short range being 2 km. This keeps all fighting in a single sector or in the loaded sectors around it. It also keeps the ranges of the weapons at a decent range due to the fact each time you increase the sector size the weapons range increase also.

Last edited:

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Change your sector size to 20km, in your block config file change the distance of cannons to .1, missile to .15, and beam to .1 . This will gives long range weapons a 8.5 km range and short range being 2 km. This keeps all fighting in a single sector or in the loaded sectors around it. It also keeps the ranges of the weapons at a decent range due to the fact each time you increase the sector size the weapons range increase also.
    I love to see people solving problems without asking for patches :D