Decorative Storage Space Tutorial (All Sizes)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

I don't know if I'm the first to figure this one out but at least we can take full advantage of kupu s amazing work on the cargo spaces of various sizes.

There is also a rendering bug Lancake may want to look into.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    The invalid state is because this block isn't meant to be manually rotated. I only know of 2 methods to actually rotate a block that's not supposed to rotate by player influence and the one you showed is 1 of them.

That render issue would be fixed if it wasn't possible to rotate the "un-rotatable" blocks (yes I know that cargo technically does have rotations but the game is supposed to do that, a player should have no direct influence over it). Of course fixing that also gets rid of using cargo as decorative blocks and not everyone wants to have that removed.

Your method of rotating blocks also applies on other blocks that have the same texture like Hull. That's completely unwanted behavior since you can actually see a difference between different orientations of its texture maps. See old picture below for an example

---

At some point, cargo will be way more useful when more gameplay mechanics are affecting it and stuff like raiding cargo ships and specifically focusing on cargo instead of killing the ship might be a viable tactic to get blocks without having to stay too long and possibly get killed yourself.

With that in mind, when people are deliberately targeting your cargo (so you start dropping blocks), it would be possible to make fake full cargo blocks all over the place and that raider would have no clue where real filled ones are. Decoy is nice up to some point, but this has no limit with no real downside and there's no method of finding out except by killing the entire thing and checking each chest out...which kinda defeats the purpose of focusing on cargo blocks in first place.

I'm sure that isn't an acceptable reason for many builders but I'm not looking for a debate, just stating another reason why it should be fixed.
    We'll probably find some compromise in the future...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The invalid state is because this block isn't meant to be manually rotated. I only know of 2 methods to actually rotate a block that's not supposed to rotate by player influence and the one you showed is 1 of them.

That render issue would be fixed if it wasn't possible to rotate the "un-rotatable" blocks (yes I know that cargo technically does have rotations but the game is supposed to do that, a player should have no direct influence over it). Of course fixing that also gets rid of using cargo as decorative blocks and not everyone wants to have that removed.

Your method of rotating blocks also applies on other blocks that have the same texture like Hull. That's completely unwanted behavior since you can actually see a difference between different orientations of its texture maps. See old picture below for an example

---

At some point, cargo will be way more useful when more gameplay mechanics are affecting it and stuff like raiding cargo ships and specifically focusing on cargo instead of killing the ship might be a viable tactic to get blocks without having to stay too long and possibly get killed yourself.

With that in mind, when people are deliberately targeting your cargo (so you start dropping blocks), it would be possible to make fake full cargo blocks all over the place and that raider would have no clue where real filled ones are. Decoy is nice up to some point, but this has no limit with no real downside and there's no method of finding out except by killing the entire thing and checking each chest out...which kinda defeats the purpose of focusing on cargo blocks in first place.

I'm sure that isn't an acceptable reason for many builders but I'm not looking for a debate, just stating another reason why it should be fixed.
    We'll probably find some compromise in the future...
    As far as I know the new texture pack kupu is working on should at the very least solve the texture issue with hardened hull as the current one has shading drawn onto the texture itself.