Debris Entity

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    "ENABLE_BREAK_OFF"
    Well I tried setting this to true and can't figure out what it's actually supposed to do.
    I shot a ship until it was split in half, think a piece would "break off", but nope.
    So I waited for the countdown of the core to end thinking, "maybe something will happen here...." and ..... no.
    *sigh*

Anybody know of or has experience using this and knows what it does and how it works?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Scratch that last post. For some reason my change to the config didn't stay set. I'm testing in single player mode, so a dedicated server with a separate client might have a different result.

I've since tried again and it had a result. A weird result, but I think I can see where the development was heading.

When you set the "ENABLE_BREAK_OFF=true" the server does this weird thing where it spontaneously shuts down when you make so many damage hits to a ship. When you restart the single player you're back where you were, but asteroid fragments are flying out and away from the ship you were attacking.

In the screen cap, you can see 2 of the fragments, which are in essence 2 asteroids, but created as fragments of a complete asteroid.
    Very cool indeed!

I would love this to be in the game and working properly without the server issues.
    Plus, rather than the ship pooping out asteroid parts, have the ship literally break in half.

I will test this with a dedicated server at some point to see what the result is there. It's likely the server is just overloading when it creates the fragments or maybe it's a collision issue since the fragments are so close to the ship. Well, inside the ship actually.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Oh, that's odd. I mean, it's done that for a while, but it used to form full sized cinnabar asteroids rather than odd corner chunks.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Maybe development is continuing and this is a recent iteration or perhaps my Surface Pro 3 is just not good enough to handle the production. Could also be all the other apps I'm running effecting the outcome. :)

I'm keen to try a dedicated server.

This would be a useful way of farming asteroids in a server. You could turn it on for admins to populate areas the way they want and then turn it off for players to enjoy.

• Like a sector full of asteroids.
    • Asteroids orbiting a planet. Lag nightmare, but would look so cool.
    • Asteroid trails
    • Refreshing harvested asteroids
    Actually all of the above would be a lag nightmare.
    [doublepost=1472014362,1472014122][/doublepost]All except the refresh.

Reaction score
    Ships should have self-destruct mechanisms. I am no joking. THEY SHOULD HAVE THEM.
    If someone does something devastating to your ship (smash an asteroid against it or use weapons), he should not receive the satisfaction to gain something as reward.
    _____
    ¯¯¯¯¯
    When I could build on a near-atomic level, let's say I have nano-technology 32 atoms wide and 6/8 atoms accurate…
    I would build the ultimate Digital-Restriction-Management to punish theft - be it by criminals or the police grabbing the device without my knowledge - knowledge is power.

I would build a hollow crystal sphere with inbuilt circuitry which constantly checks itself for integrity.
    If you try to decode it, you will fail, because when you decoded it, it already changed to something new.

Because of the speed of light, the circuit on the inside of a hollow sphere is faster than the circuit on the outside of a hollow sphere, which makes it impossible to replace a single element, unless you can construct smaller circuits yourself.
    Additionally I would use an integral 2-time-pad algorithm where the last and current password are used to exchange the next password. This algorithm would check neighbours for being replaced so fast, that you cannot replace them in time with verifiable replacements.
    To reduce the chance of a single point of failure, I add a second layer to make it 3D (vs a 2D surface intruders have to use).

Ok, now I have a hollow sphere you cannot manipulate without it knowing that you try.
    It includes a hot-burning chemical which reacts as soon as the circuit runs out of power (light or electric energy) and destroys not only any physical structure but also sets of an EMP reaction damaging the equipment of the hacker.

I would use positive/negative pairs of logic to add redundancy and check for a pure-positive or pure-negative effect.

You cannot gain anything from killing my ships - they would rather self-destruct and run kamikaze on you before leaving anything valuable in an easy-to-collect because dense cloud!
    Dear lord. You started talking quantum physics there. I do not want to fight you.