DeathStar Reboot (doubled in size)

Reaction score
    I doubt anyone remembers the last project I started, but the largest deathstar these forums have seen was the 201x201x201 build that never went anywhere. BUT ALAS, I HAVE GREAT NEWS!

A very large 401x401x401 Death Star is underway! And even better, it's not really that size, because it would take forever to turn, so instead its dimensions are square-shaped with rounded corners, and the six sides have docking units for half-saucers. This means a large part of the Death Star's mass is being eliminated.

I will be updating this with photos, but here are some current stats in this build:

• Trench Run is doubled in size, 22 blocks wide now, 16 blocks deep!
    • X-Wings and Tie-Fighters/Bombers are the same size as the old build (10 wide), so two can fit side-by-side in the trench run!
    • Double the Hangar Sizes: A full fleet of 12 Tie-Fighters and 4 Tie-Bombers as well as 16 X-Wings inside the two main hangars!
    • The Prison Cell area, Bridge Jump, and Trash Compactor Room scenes are still included to be canon to the movies!
    • There's like 20 internal turrets and 40 external turrets, the external turrets are the blocky tower-type turrets, canon to the movies.

Here's some of the Semi-Saucer stats (and there are six of these on the cube):

• About 663,736 DPS (this will double)
    • About 191,210,465 Power with 1,648,249 Regen per second
    • About 5,305,122 Shields with 81,643 Regen per second
    • About 11,854 Thrust with 76,950 Mass (this will be fixed)
    • So it has a little over 3/4 of a million blocks currently, and this will increase even more.

So keep in mind that there are SIX of these powerhouses on the cube, and they aren't even the main show. What's even more impressive is that they are only half-full currently so most of these stats will get close to doubling!

Some stats for the main cube/carrier that makes up the core structure of the Death Star:

• The giant dish now has double the missle arrays, and effectively works as a pre-update Planet Destroyer, removing a 60-block radius of a planet, about 20 blocks deep!
    • 4 main AMC arrays and a bunch of smaller ones, dealing about 3 million DPS.
    • Currently 10 million shields (expecting this to double).
    • 500,000,000 Power storage with 3-4 million Regen expected.
    • Enough thrust to hit at least 600 km/s despite the massive size.

And the best part is, there's still plenty of room in it. I'm hoping gyroscopes become a block that's added so I can boost the turn speed. Like I said I'll be editing this with photos later, but let me know what you think about the stats so far. When I am finished with this, it will be uploaded as a schematic for everyone so the more encouragement I get, the sooner it is to be finished lol!

Earlier pic of basic structure...
    http://imgur.com/Ys52DU2

Reaction score
    400 long ships are pretty common. You\'d want your death star to be bigger than them.

ps; Why would a death star turn quickly? It\'s supposed to be a lumbering behemoth.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    dont worry about turn rates, there is a cap to turn rates that isnt too bad (about 1 degree a second)

Reaction score
    Yea, 400 is about an average length for a \"large\" vessle in this game, but only for the longest dimension, 100 for the second longest and 50-100 for the third dimension. This thing is a sphere and so it\'s 401^3, meaning that while a \"large\" ship parked next to it may be slightly longer, it will still look significantly smaller because it is only a fraction of the size.

Also consider that doubling it again would increase the mass by eight times (mass increases by a factor of eight everytime you double the size of something) and thrusters/generators start to become horribly inefficient. And the lag. The lag of a 801x801x801 sphere would be undesirable (which is only because this is an indie java game, tbh if this was all ported to a C++ distribution there wouldn\'t be any client lag at all with something that small).

Reaction score
    this is a awsome ship, cant wait for it to be complet, oh and after the weapons update i sugest a heavy segie laser or a massive charge laser... but plz contune work and just refit the weapons when the update comes.(not the next update but the one after that)

Reaction score
    It\'s going to have almost a billion power reserve because it\'ll be close to doubled in power tanks. And idk about the regen but it already has 3mil+ so that\'s pretty good. Five and half million shields currently (this should double as well because every gap is being filled with shields).

Again, there will be six of these and their stats will all be slightly different because the trench run will be carved into four of them, and one will be much more hollow to accomodate two very large hangars.

Lemme know what you guys think and if anyone is willing to help with SMedit that\'d be great because my java client will only allow 1.5 gigs of memory for the virtual environment and I need more than that lol...

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Obi will be all over this...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    BOOM!

Zyrr, ya beat me to it!

Er, no offense, but the Death Star is shorter thn our Nebulon-B Frigate which will most likely destroy that into shards... I suggest building is as big as a planet. Too bad there won\'t be an exhaust port!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    um obi it is as big as a planet. not only that its prob got way more cubic space inside it than your nebulon b could ever hope to match

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I don\'t mean the disc shape, I mean the huge atmosphere. Should\'ve been more specific on that...

But we won\'t be underestimatd too long. Anyway, bigger = better.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    hahaha lol im starting to laugh now every time i see you post about being \"underestimated\". you take faction roleplaying so seriously sometimes it seems you\'ve lost your touch with reality

Reaction score
    Planr is right, it is larger than a planet and if it was any bigger it\'d turn so slow that there\'d be no point to ever load it on a server. On top of that 401^3 is a lot of blocks. A dude pm\'d me saying he was building a 2000^3 deathstar but the picture he linked clearly showed he imported it from SMedit and 2000^3 is 6 billion-ish blocks AND the camera would be more than 1km away so the draw distance would crash the client.

Trust me this is all planned out, 401^3 is the perfect size and on top of that the mass is greatly reduced because of the six semi-saucer sections that have been cut out. Not to mention each of the six semi-saucers currently have 1 MILLIION dps, making 6 million dps just for the saucer-turret sections. Add on the actual canon external turrets and the main AMC array of the DS Core and you\'re looking at 8-9 million dps when everything\'s firing. GG NO RE.

As to what you said about shortness, I mentioned that in the first post, and again, while it\'s shorter length-wise, it\'s still significantly larger in the other two dimensions compared to most \"large\" ships. I think once this is finished it will be a pretty solid vessel.

Reaction score
    Also I haven\'t made any of it with SMedit yet because SMedit won\'t load something that big for me, but I need someone to help load the older version (201^3) of the DS for me because it has all the rooms that I want to throw into this new project (like the core room, bridge, prison cells, trash room, etc).

If someone could help me out with that, that\'d be great.