database name

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Is it possible to give the database files in server/database/index/ a filename ?

since the .data file seems to be a big issue when hosts try using tar to backup a server and it does not seem to be FTPable on some hosts (at least on my one :) ) as it appears to the host system as a system file

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    since the .data file seems to be a big issue when hosts try using tar to backup a server and it does not seem to be FTPable on some hosts (at least on my one :) ) as it appears to the host system as a system file
    On all unix-systems a '.' as the first character of a file- or foldername indicates that folder is supposed to not be shown. When applied however, any program I know ignores that rule for all the sub-folders and files contained in them, as requesting a list of all files within a folder still returns all the files, regardless of weither or not their name starts with a '.'.
    Hosts thinking all those files are all system-files and the user should thus not be able to see them on his interface are the main reason why I host myself instead of relying on an external host.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I thought that may have been the case with . Files,
    But I can see a major issue when starmade gets more popular and more people want to set up a server on external hosts, the majority of which will be running Unix/Linux based systems.
    There is no easy way to upload a custom universe, and the hosts cannot backup the server (.data is a reserved name in GNU tar and gets excluded)
    The only way at the moment is rename all . files before uploading then raise a support ticket to get the files renamed on the host system