Database Failure - Rollback

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    Due to a series of unfortunate events, I have had to roll back the database to a backup from 4 days ago.

I am implementing a fix for the underlying issue that caused this failure, and this will not happen again. I am extremely sorry for the trouble we know this has caused.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    4 days since the last backup? Really?!

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    now now, lets not get too upset. He did say it was because of "A Series Of Unfortunte Events."
    I think first we should ask ourselves, which ASOUF is this? The book series or the movie rendition? Then we can decide how upset to get.

Reactions: WolfChild

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    its funny. I was in the middle of showing my mom all the work i put into my ships when the server crashed. :(

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    4 days since the last backup? Really?!
    This was actually the issue we were trying to resolve when this happened. We had just recently switched providers who perform automated full-server backups for us. When I noticed that we had not had one taken in the past 4 days, I opened a ticket with them.

While I waited for a response from them, I then attempted to find a work-around to do some manual backups of the database by itself, so that we could at least have data backups.

During this process, the wrong backup script was then triggered, which caused a restore of the previous backup (which was the 4 day one) instead.

In order to resolve this and ensure that it doesn't happen again, I have updated our Chef scripts to run backup's on their own, as well as send us notifications when/if backups fail to perform on their appointed schedules.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I like how the message at the top of the screen addresses me personally:
    15th 4AM GMT+0: The Forums Database had to be rolledback to the 11th of June, backups have been fixed and now occur every hour. Sorry Zeno9141 for the inconvenience.

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    you seem upset toyotasupra, here, be optimistic :U *adds optimistic tag*

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    you could always reload them anyway and you should have the blueprint on your computer and also i was wondering why something was differnet with the website

Status
    Not open for further replies.