Data Transmission Chamber

Reaction score
    With the upcoming universe update, scanners are going to be getting another bump (particularly in the long-range department). My thought is, what if ships could transmit scanner information to other ships? My idea is to incorporate this in the form of a chamber (in the Logistics category).

Basically, the chamber would start with an empty charge (and is capable of only a single charge). Then the player would have to charge the transmission drive in order to prep it for scan data transmission. Upon charging and activation, any short-range (specifically counter-stealth scanning) scan results that are being seen at the time are transmitted to any entities within a certain range (regardless of faction or other affiliation), along with any long-range scan data the ship has collected within a certain duration before the data transmission.

This would mainly have three uses:
    • small scanning vessels that can be used in combat, but don't require the player to be piloting those vessels to be able to see the revealed ships they can see with short-range scan
    • long-range remote-operated scouts that can be used to explore celestial bodies while the player handles other tasks
    • satellites (not much more needs to be said, really)
    Possible available upgrades to the transmission drive could include charge reduction, range increase, power efficiency, data volume increases (basically allowing data collected from earlier times to be transmitted), etc.

Reaction score
    Generally, I like the idea of data sharing, but I think you are overthinking it. If the goal of chambers is too add more ship roles, then something like the Boeing E-3 Sentry should be considered as a model for how to do it.

It is specifically NOT a combat plane, but instead packs really high powered scanning equipment for other combat planes than in many cases do not even have their own active scanning devices. I think what you are suggesting should be an add-on to the scanner chamber tree that actively shares scanner results with allied ships in range. Perhaps you could even give it a bunch of levels so that you can upgrade it share N sectors away. Since Scanners can be pretty much maxed out at ~60% RP right now, this could be good for making truly scanner specialized support ships more valuable.

Reaction score
    Generally, I like the idea of data sharing, but I think you are overthinking it. If the goal of chambers is too add more ship roles, then something like the Boeing E-3 Sentry should be considered as a model for how to do it.

It is specifically NOT a combat plane, but instead packs really high powered scanning equipment for other combat planes than in many cases do not even have their own active scanning devices. I think what you are suggesting should be an add-on to the scanner chamber tree that actively shares scanner results with allied ships in range. Perhaps you could even give it a bunch of levels so that you can upgrade it share N sectors away. Since Scanners can be pretty much maxed out at ~60% RP right now, this could be good for making truly scanner specialized support ships more valuable.
    I never once said that the chamber would be used on combat ships. My idea was to make it so that a ship can be specialized for scanning and then be able to transmit that scan data to other entities. My thought for ignoring affiliation was because it would be difficult for the ship to specify who to transmit to when it doesn't have a faction block.

My other thought was using RC to further specialize scanning ships so they have to decide whether they want continuous powerful scanners, or scanners with some sort of shortcoming that are able to transmit data.

Although, after thinking about the idea a bit, I guess making data transmission a separate activated thing is a bit overkill and stupid. My inspiration for that part of it was radio waves. Basically, the communication would be sent out in a short burst, and that would be received by anybody in the vicinity.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I would be happy with entity to entity communication for Display modules along with using the values of variables instead of just copying the variable.

Then you could collect relevant data using the variables and transmit the result to a docked entity or an entity in a remote location like a station listening post. This would allow for basic probes or ship to ship communications outside of the built in chat.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I never once said that the chamber would be used on combat ships. My idea was to make it so that a ship can be specialized for scanning and then be able to transmit that scan data to other entities. My thought for ignoring affiliation was because it would be difficult for the ship to specify who to transmit to when it doesn't have a faction block.
    Why not if it does have a faction block, transmit to your faction only, but if no faction block it's a general signal?

My other thought was using RC to further specialize scanning ships so they have to decide whether they want continuous powerful scanners, or scanners with some sort of shortcoming that are able to transmit data.
    I love the idea and the way you're doing this.

Although, after thinking about the idea a bit, I guess making data transmission a separate activated thing is a bit overkill and stupid. My inspiration for that part of it was radio waves. Basically, the communication would be sent out in a short burst, and that would be received by anybody in the vicinity.
    How about a chamber that when scanning is activated, it also broadcasts to those that can receive it. (I think that's what you mean here, but if not it's a good idea)

Possible nerfing idea if needed (I like the idea as is): Need recieving modules on the other ships?

Reactions: YamiHikari
    Reaction score
    Adonis0
    The faction block idea isn't half bad. I mulled that over a little later, and I guess you and I have the same line of thinking.

As for the chamber suggestion, that's pretty much what I'm suggesting. Whoever is in the vicinity receives the broadcasted signal containing the scan data.

In terms of nerfing...I'm not quite so sure if this is really a good idea, because then it begs the question of how that would need to be set up (block count, arrangement, cost, etc.). I think just letting anybody in the vicinity receive it is good enough.

Reaction score
    My vote is have it default to faction sharing with options for Allied, Neutral, and Public sharing. Un-encrypted transmission of tactical data is ridiculous in a modern context, and even more-so in a sci-fi context. Permissions based options just make more since, and should not take a whole chamber on receiving ships to process.

Reaction score
    I would be happy with entity to entity communication for Display modules along with using the values of variables instead of just copying the variable.

Then you could collect relevant data using the variables and transmit the result to a docked entity or an entity in a remote location like a station listening post. This would allow for basic probes or ship to ship communications outside of the built in chat.
    +1
    I would love to have the ability to transmit a displays text across entities (via wifi blocks would probably be easiest, following same rules as other logic-display interaction). Having my factory station send updates on which resources its running low on (while out mining) would be epic. It would also be handy for 'IDing' ships docking to a carrier, if you have a fleet with different ship types and want them to park in a particular spot.