Damage Spread

Reaction score
    Hello players! I had an idea, and did a quick search for the same idea, but did not find it. Here we go!

Please note that this is not the same thing as the current explosive module.

Damage spread. Think about it, why should nearly every cannon be a pinpoint-only weapon? Wouldn't it make more sense if they damaged a small area instead? I think it would. Say there is a config option like this:
    DamagePropagationPercent=50
    Where DamagePropagationPercent is the percent of the damage of the cannon that affects adjacent blocks. When the adjacents are damaged, the damage is reduced by another 50% (Or whatever it would be) and applied to every block adjacent to them. This could be coupled with a decrease in damage for cannons, to prevent this from increasing their damage too much. "But Dman," you say, "What if I want a pinpoint, high damage weapon?" Then you add the Pierce Effect Module! It woud remove the spread, concentrating the damage on one point, and allowing it to continue if it destroys the block, and it damages the next one with its remaining damage. The Punch-Through would remain the same, but retain the damage spread compared to the pierce. Now, to add more use to hull, they would stop the second spread from happening, while non-armored blocks would have the second one, meaning that systems are very vulnerable, while hull is a more effective defense. The Explosive Module could increase the percentages and maybe add a small amount more radius to the spread. These changes would make cannons feel more like cannons, instead of them being like beams with a reload. another change could be that the end of a cannon's width could determine the size of the projectile, larger ones would be more powerful and have better splash, but would have a slower fire rate and have a bit of inaccuracy, allowing true anti-capital cannons. The end should have to remain 2x2 or whatever for a certain distance to prevent an absurdly wide cannon at the front that suddenly shrinks down into a small wire that weaves through the ship.

TL;DR: Cannon damage should spread over an area. Hull reduces this. The ends of cannons should determine projectile size and change some parameters.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    What I mean is that cannons should not be purely pinpoint weaponry. They should have spread by default, as it does not make sense that a cannon will only damage the point of impact, and nothing else.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    What I mean is that cannons should not be purely pinpoint weaponry. They should have spread by default, as it does not make sense that a cannon will only damage the point of impact, and nothing else.
    then say that!
    and also, tell me what will become of the explosive effect, if your idea is implemented?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Eh. I think that should only happen on larger weapons. I guess. It's like asking for a bullet that will make an hole larger than its diameter. Doesn't really happen until you get to seriously heavy firepower. Also, why would a wider barrel mean a slower bullet? Its energy. It should travel the same speed.

Reaction score
    Alright, time to clear this up.
    Eh. I think that should only happen on larger weapons. I guess. It's like asking for a bullet that will make an hole larger than its diameter. Doesn't really happen until you get to seriously heavy firepower. Also, why would a wider barrel mean a slower bullet? Its energy. It should travel the same speed.
    These are laser/energy/antimatter/whatever they are cannons, I'm sure it's a small explosion that would cause the damage. Plus, it's a CANNON, not a pistol, or a machine gun, or a rifle, a cannon. Plus, since every cannon block is 1m across, the texture of the exit is about 0.5m in diameter. That is a big gun. I also meant a slower fire rate, not slower bullets.

then say that!
    and also, tell me what will become of the explosive effect, if your idea is implemented?
    I did say that they should change from pinpoint weapons. I also considered the explosive effect.
    Think about it, why should nearly every cannon be a pinpoint-only weapon? Wouldn't it make more sense if they damaged a small area instead? Other stuff... The Explosive Module could increase the percentages and add a small amount more radius to the spread.
    I will edit the OP to address these more clearly.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    You're asking for a redundancy that is already in the game. It's either we start with a cannon or a precision weapon. Either way we would still be getting modules that adds to the already existent effect. Basically if this idea was in place, someone would come along and argue against it ina separate thread down the line. Considering we can have both precision and explosive weaponry with modules, I think it's a bit unnecessary to change the base weapon. Cannon or not, I do not expect the small cannons on my fighter craft to be making craters on enemy ships. I do think it'd be cool to have a texture placed on blocks better indicating an impact, like black burn marks. Sometimes the orange is just too much.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i always thought that certain weapon type should get this ability naturally. I mean Who uses the Cannon/Beam combo anyways, for that matter the Cannon/Pulse?

The Cannon/Beam is called the Sniper cannon, Sure it has better range but range accounts for crap atm and the Cannon/pulse combo does decent damage but its not nearly as satisfying to use over the Dumb fire Missiles or the Missile/pulse combo. it would be better to give an AOE effect to these combos that gets stronger the close you get to 100% slaved.