Damage Pulse Killing Missile Entities

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Logic Bubble Shields for EVERYBODY! :cool::D:eek:;)

I think it would be cool if damage pulse could join in the exclusive cannon club in the destruction of missiles.

Primarily because I want to mess around with logic and also want suicide chaff drones with damagepulse:cannon to kill missiles before they themselves are killed. And people could embed damage pulse outputs into the surface of warships and activate the clocks when they see missiles inbound to maybe kill a few before they are hit. (also would deter boarders... and deter passengers if not done right).

What do you guys think? I mean, you can already make beams look like they kill missiles, but damage pulse has so little use that I think they could use a shot in the arm and be given more creative roles to fill!
    Tell me what you think! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction score
    Pulse seems a tad OP. I do think beams and missiles should destroy missiles, though. But with pulse you could chain it and basically be immune to missiles, at least the other weapons can miss/only hit one missile at a time.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think all weapons should be able to destroy a missile. Pulse would probably not be too overly powerful, with their long recharge rate. And if someone wants to invest in covering their ship with multiple recycling pulses? More power to 'em. A complete defense against complete missile boats. Switch to guns, open fire, strip off the pulses at the surface of the ship, and proceed to launch missiles.

Reactions: Master_Artificer

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Pulse seems a tad OP. I do think beams and missiles should destroy missiles, though. But with pulse you could chain it and basically be immune to missiles, at least the other weapons can miss/only hit one missile at a time.
    Heh, I feel the opposite, like beams shouldn't shoot down missiles because hitscan, no matter how much sense it makes.

And I do belive any server with a sector size larger than the default 2km (basically every server out there) would mean that missile speeds (which like cannon rounds depend and vary on the sizes of sectors) would be high enough for it to phase through the damage pulse and detonate anyways.

But maybe their does need to be some balancing perspective.

I am in it for the logic contraptions that people would make, and using pulse of all things!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    pulse should definitely destroy missile entities in range. because, duh - its a giant AOE effect and missiles go down with 1dmg.

beams should destroy missiles as well. laser point defense seems MOST logical of the options, since it is instant hit and missiles move very fast. if they can't get beams to hit missiles, it would be easy to have a turreted beam simply send a signal to any missile it fires at within range deleting the entity. beams NOT being AI-targeted at missiles wouldn't even affect them then; only PD turrets.

cannon, pulse, laser - all should hit missiles and CAN be made to easily enough. with the new thrust system having returned missiles solidly to OP status it might be time to start seriously looking at this.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm maybe make beams shoot down cannon fire instead of missiles. now as for what'd stop beams? Maybe pulse could stop beams for brief amounts of time while the pulse wave is active?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Beams should shoot down missiles, they are lasers, and even now we are working on laser systems to shoot down missiles, and even planes..., so i dont see why they wouldnt be able to, also, didnt they used to be able to? It would at least allow them to be useful again...from what i know, theyve been bugged for a looongggg time.

Do agree with pulse though!

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I don't think it would be very OP if every weapon could shoot down missiles, pulses have a reload time and beams are just as thin as cannon fire. In the end it's hard for players to aim at missiles and if you set the AI to shoot at missiles it won't focus primarily on ships.

Maybe on top of this we could have EMP effects leave missiles floating in space, waiting to be hit by some passer-by before they despawn after, say, ten minutes? Or maybe have the damage pulse do this to missiles?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Missiles should be hit by everything. Cannons should be hit by everything. Damage beams should be able to hit everything except other beams assuming they are light based. I need some lore on the damage pulse beam before making a decision on what it should hit or not, if its an explosion of matter or a pulse of radiation.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1451883510,1451883341][/DOUBLEPOST]You could still bypass the bubble shield by having an extension of the firing entity right up against the target hull. The missile travels through the firing entity as the firing entity's extension stops the blast damage pattern of the damage pulse shield.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    And be able to gain 100% protection against missiles by chaining multiple ship-covering pulse arrays with logic? The same goes for beams, unless missiles have HP a single miniature beams turret could shoot down entire missile clouds in an instant due to pinpoint AI accuracy and the fact that beams hit instantly.

No thanks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I don't think it would break the balance to let pulses damage missiles. Its not like the pulses would do any good at protecting a moving ship.

So out run missiles and keep distance for PD, or spend a lot of effort, resources, and power to hopefully prevent missiles from hitting a stationary ship?

That said I still think that missiles should have scaling health based on the damage they do. Single block pulses might not have the damage to stop a decent missile from landing.
    Would also allow beams to be used as PD without being OP, decoy missile will drop like flys but might give the bigger missile time to close in.

Reactions: Master_Artificer

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I need some lore on the damage pulse beam before making a decision on what it should hit or not, if its an explosion of matter or a pulse of radiation.
    I don't believe the pulse would be either (anti?)matter or radioactive, a pulse of electro-magnetism sounds slightly more reasonable, especially with the pulse having a push variant. Also, if the pulse was electro-magnetic it would explain being able to make it with just power a power, no material, cost. We are using electro-magnetic fields today (that silent, blade-less fan thing) so why not assume there is a powerful weapon based on the technology existing in the future?

But I don't know much about this stuff, so believe what you like, especially if you know better. ;)

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I don't think it would break the balance to let pulses damage missiles. Its not like the pulses would do any good at protecting a moving ship.

So out run missiles and keep distance for PD, or spend a lot of effort, resources, and power to hopefully prevent missiles from hitting a stationary ship?

That said I still think that missiles should have scaling health based on the damage they do. Single block pulses might not have the damage to stop a decent missile from landing.
    Would also allow beams to be used as PD without being OP, decoy missile will drop like flys but might give the bigger missile time to close in.
    Oh crap, your right, they wouldn't protect a moving ship. Crap...

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Are you all mad? The first thing that would happen is a logic-powered rapid-firing pulse array, forever making missiles completely obsolete.

Beams, I'd like to point out, are nearly as bad. They're hitscan weapons. You'd remove missiles by clicking on them. It makes physical sense, sure, but gameplay trumps realism.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Are you all mad? The first thing that would happen is a logic-powered rapid-firing pulse array, forever making missiles completely obsolete.

Beams, I'd like to point out, are nearly as bad. They're hitscan weapons. You'd remove missiles by clicking on them. It makes physical sense, sure, but gameplay trumps realism.
    Since you are so vehemently opposed to this I want to ask your input on my ideas about this.
    1: A moving ship would gain practically no protection from a pulse bubble. (Unless being chased by missile spam)
    2: The implementation of missile HP to make the actually powerful missile live through a few shots or seconds of beam fire.
    3: Some ships can already ignore missile spam with massive PD, this is bypassed by people shredding the PD off the ship.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Very well.

1. I was not aware that pulses traveled at slower than max speed. Even so, you'd get protection in the direction you weren't traveling, and going just slightly below bubble speed would give you full protection. Not to mention the many, many ships that don't move a whole lot, they'd still be immune.

2. That would certainly even out the playing field. I still don't see, however, how Pd bubbles would contribute to gameplay.

3. Yes, this is called gameplay. Measures and countermeasures. Pd bubbles, whether or not they'd end up as perfect or imperfect protection, would offer little of this on either side.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Logic Bubble Shields for EVERYBODY! :cool::D:eek:;)

I think it would be cool if damage pulse could join in the exclusive cannon club in the destruction of missiles.

Primarily because I want to mess around with logic and also want suicide chaff drones with damagepulse:cannon to kill missiles before they themselves are killed. And people could embed damage pulse outputs into the surface of warships and activate the clocks when they see missiles inbound to maybe kill a few before they are hit. (also would deter boarders... and deter passengers if not done right).

What do you guys think? I mean, you can already make beams look like they kill missiles, but damage pulse has so little use that I think they could use a shot in the arm and be given more creative roles to fill!
    Tell me what you think! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I see where you got your idea bud, you aint foolin no one!

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Very well.

1. I was not aware that pulses traveled at slower than max speed. Even so, you'd get protection in the direction you weren't traveling, and going just slightly below bubble speed would give you full protection. Not to mention the many, many ships that don't move a whole lot, they'd still be immune.

2. That would certainly even out the playing field. I still don't see, however, how Pd bubbles would contribute to gameplay.

3. Yes, this is called gameplay. Measures and countermeasures. Pd bubbles, whether or not they'd end up as perfect or imperfect protection, would offer little of this on either side.
    Pulse bubbles are spawned 10 meters from the output block, are stationary/fixed to where they spawned, and slowly expand. They each also have a 2 or 2.5 second cool down or something even when paired with cannons. So you need a logic clock to have something like 4 staggered firing pulse cannons, and you still have a time gap between the outputs. That's why I want to be able to make it for some chaff/flare cans, I drop them and they sit and try to soak up as much swarmer missiles as they can before they die due to them inevitably getting through. Deploy-able countermeasures.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Sure, I'm on board. Everything should be able to intercept missiles, even missiles.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    1: A moving ship would gain practically no protection from a pulse bubble. (Unless being chased by missile spam)
    Pulse blasts are now aligned to the ship that fired them so yes it would work on a moving ship.