Damage delt by NPC goes through shields.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was playing single player, build a ship with 240 000 shield. Got attacked by pirates, my shield never got lower than 2/3 capacity the whole time. I get the loot, look at my ship and it is full, i mean full of holes like the shields didn\'t work at all the whole fight. I can understand my turrets being damaged, not my whole giant ship. Now i have to rebuild most of it and i don\'t even feel like it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have recently been testing a giant self sustainable turret. I spawned in one Isanth-VI (default ship) to see how quickly my turret could take it down when handled by AI. It didn\'t take long and once the ship was destroyed I got out to see the damage patterns it had created in it\'s efforts to defend me (Impressive I should add). Upon my return I noticed a block missing from the side (Ice crystal), I looked closer and realized there were a lot of damaged blocks on me ship (Grey hardened hulls + wedges) along with another hull piece destroyed. I had only tested it against the one default ship, no other interference. I tested again with me piloting the turret instead and the shields never dropped even 2 bars down (I took more damage as well).

The only conclusion I can come to is that the shields were not blocking any of the damage, despite it showing the shields taking hits.

I also have the shields bugged with the constant red shields bug, not sure if that affects anything in this matter though.

Reaction score
    You\'re thinking of Cloak and Radar jammers, I know for fact shields work constantly.

Reaction score
    What is happening is this: the pirates were wearing dowm your shields without you noticing. Shield regen doesnt work like it used to, try a smallish ship with exactly 256 shield blocks to get max recovery from shield system.

Reaction score
    See this video i recorded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1cQYqEp2Nc&feature=player_detailpage&t=429
    blocks get destroyed even though shields are still up (on client at least).

Reaction score
    I have the same problem. I have high shields and with in 5 secs I\'m killed :( by one pirate turret ???

Reaction score
    Happened to me last week. I was piloting a custom ship commandeered and refurbished from pirates with upgraded armor and powergen.

Soon I saw one of the original pirate ships and started shooting at each other, but it appears that NEITHER of our shields worked. I could see my shots blowing holes in his hull and my shields weren\'t going down, and then suddenly I was dead. What?

And how is this bug still out there when it\'s essentially game-breaking for those who encounter it?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I had this happen today too, I was in a much superior ship then the pirate I was fighting and my shields were at 100% but I could see damage apearing on the front of my ship.

Reaction score
    I\'m told this occurs when shots are fired from a ship within one sector and they impact a ship in a different sector, though I\'m not sure how you would go about testing this, considering how much NPC ships like to slide sideways.

Reaction score
    .......Is the reason i died in my Battle-cruiser which DESTROYED pirates,but then this bug happened,the pirates shot the core and i died.....Create a physical shield if you really want protection.

Reaction score
    I\'m having this problem too (in single-player). I spent days building my carrier (about 70K blocks with over 300K shields) and a group of noob pirates punched holes all over it even though shields stayed above 70% the whole time.

Worse is that I can\'t buy/obtain enough hardened hulls, and the normal hulls are made of marshmellow. The pirates damage punched straight through my marshmellow hull and trashed my soft and juicy internals. It took me 2 hours just finding/fixing the damage to my salvage cannon array. For the power generator I cut my losses, ripped it out and rebuilt it from scratch (with a much simpler design that\'s easier to fix).

If anyone thinks \"create a physical shield\" is a sane answer, show me how to get a recipe to produce hardened hulls without cheating. On average shops only have 50 blocks in stock (they must be the same colour), so you need to visit around 100 shops before you\'ve got the 5000 blocks needed to buy the recipe. If it takes 10 minutes to visit each shop then it works out to 16 hours of pure grinding.

Reaction score
    And these so called \"Physical Shields\" are also worthless as I\'ve had damage that passed through shields AND through hull.

Seems to be lag based, but that sector thing also has its merits.

Reaction score
    I have had this issue as well. It can be extremely frustrating for large ships.

Reaction score
    New plan to work-around repair hassles:

a) The AI aim at your core, so get the core away from everything important.

b) The front of the ship can be a layer of hardened hulls with a layer of Astro Technobeams behind it

I\'m going to try these ideas out; and build a ship with a \"dongle\" containing the core hanging down underneath it; so that the core is 50+ blocks below everything and encased in hardened hulls. In theory I should only take a little damage at the top of the ship (if enemies are above me) and around the core (which should be easy to repair).