Damage Beams and ships inside ships

Reaction score
    Not sure if this is a bug, overlooked game mechanic, or just the game working as normal. If it's a bug, I'll post it in the bug forum, but don't want to bother them unless it is...

Playing on a private server using version 0.189996. Have a small shuttle docked inside my big miner. Everywhere, except for the blast doors, are protected by two or more layers of standard armor. (Haven't gotten around to replacing them.) Miner has 200k of shields fully charged. Now given that the shields will not extend to docked vessels, I know my shuttle won't get the benefit directly. However, the shuttle was sitting inside a closed hanger.

Stumbled on a pirate base and got attacked. Big miner gave better than she got, but I still buggered out when the base summoned several pirate fighters. (Too massive to turn and attack with the forward array, and no turrets to defend the aft sections.) Took absolutely no damage to the big miner. Shields never dipped below 22%, even when I drained the power caps. However, when I got to my shuttle, her nose was vaporized. I know it's from the fight, as half the blast doors in the affected area were singed. (It's only thing left of that area.)

My question: Are damage beams able to bypass both armor and shields, not fry ANYTHING that is part of the host ship's docking bay, and yet damage the ship stored in the bay? If so, are there defensive measures against this?

Jack (aka The Crazy Zonie)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    has the magic missile trail regained it's strength and has came back to destroy ships in bays?

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I do not know about beams nor cannon shots
    but anything explosive with a radius can go through armour and hit everything that would be sitting behind it.
    If it is indeed a bug you found.
    We need to get fixed the general problem about weapons hitting armour and their explosive power ignoring it andgoing through everything in its radius.

Reaction score
    Thank you to everyone who replied. Yeah, I'm going to report this. I still think it's beam weapons based on the position and location of the docked ship, and the position, location, and type of damage to the shuttle.

Right now, having bigger fish to fry with daughter's PC not launching the game.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    As others have said, explosives tend to ignore walls.

It was fixed for players, but I really wish it was fixed for everything.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I would think the fix for everything else is a bit more complicated, if you just used the same thing they did with astronauts, you get something where just hiding the core makes the rest of the docked object immune, even if it was right next to the missile.