Customizing NPC (and player) looks - mix'n'match skins

Reaction score
    NPCs are going to be more important in the future, with the quest system as shown in the tutorial. And already, NPC can be used as decoration in player's bases and ships. (I personally love decorating my builds with NPCs, be it in a voxel game or when I build LEGO)

But they feel boring right now, as they always have the same skin. Starmade's universe is populated by NPC males, all wearing the same uniform (and they turn all female if you change their default skin this way ;) )

There is already a variety of great skins created by the community.

But they could bring much more variety to the game if you could mix'n'match body parts, like you can do with LEGO minifigures.

This way, you could have a crew of rebel pilots with different heads, even female ones. Or you could have a base with civilians, wearing diverse outfits, having different heads.

This idea shouldn't change much the way artists draw their skins : they already draw body parts separately (head, neck, body, arms etc.) and put all these parts into a single png file. If my suggestion is kept, they wouldn't change their drawings, but create a few files instead of a single one.

In-game, you would be able to change the look of an NPC as easily as you change his name : by issuing an order as many times as you want.

I also suggest some of these non-default skins make their way to the vanilla version. The station contest gave great results : why not a skins contest?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I totally agree, being unable to set a specific NPC's skin pain me a lot
    I called one guard NPC: Wrex, and I have a nurse NPC. We need different skins!

I don't care about the default skin the game should have, I just want to use the ones I see on the internet, and the ones I do myself. I think a single command in a NPC script could do it, but it's not possible ATM and it would be limiting for non-admin players.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why did not more peoples post on this?

Modular Skins would be very nice.
    Change an NPC's rank, change the clothes... but the head should stay once they were born ;) ... Except they visit the doctor for silicon implants ^^

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    you're right dude let's bump this I dunno why this is not possible ATM

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    you're right dude let's bump this I dunno why this is not possible ATM
    Most likely, since this game is a labor of love by the dev, the single astronaut is there as a simple cipher, representing the player, so was not given much importance. For this suggestion to happen, the entire astronaut system needs to be overhauled. Not terribly overwhelming, but it will definitely be a lot of work.

On the other hand, once astronaut "parts" are individually skinned, I think we'll see more customized skins. It's less intimidating to make a face than to make a whole head-to-toe skin. Same with body-suits and uniforms. It's not so hard if you don't have to make a face with it. As with all things, some people are better at one than the other.

Reactions: NeonSturm

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    As far as the mix and matching goes, I don't really understand why you want it, but mkay.
    I just figured we'd get the ability to assign skins to various NPC Factions once we get the ability to make custom NPC factions, with the ability for faction leaders to upload a skin for their faction NPCs.

I guess the whole NPC rank thing is something I'm not supportive of. NPC feel like they should be like low-class minion, fodder troops, with actual players being the people of importance (just update and re-upload your skin). I mean it's a spacesuit most times (RPs excluded), I for one don't expect alot of variety.

Maybe some of the skin-makers can make a mash up pack? With various swap-able textures you just mix and match to personalize your own skin?
    Maybe a 3rd party compiler program that can pull together/take apart smaller textures and build a skin? I honestly think this would be lovely to see, and we do have some coders who might be able to pull it off with shading presets, under-layer glowing customization (for different areas maybe?) and the skin itself. I mean, we had someone write a randomized station generator during the station contest, shouldn't be too much harder. Edit; I'm gonna poke the modding request section with this.

Also, I think Omni or Kupu was working on a female model/skin? I might just be mis-remembering though.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I believe someone made a skin creator tool that builds skins out of mix and match parts. Can't remember who, but I definitely remember the thing. That could have a "randomize" button implemented, and then when hiring NPCs, they'd have a randomly generated skin.

Also, I think Omni or Kupu was working on a female model/skin? I might just be mis-remembering though.
    I believe it was Omni, and I think he said that IF he made a female skin, she would be named Daisy. Dave is a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Daisy would be the same, referring to the "Daisy" in the song that HAL 9000 sings.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I believe someone made a skin creator tool that builds skins out of mix and match parts. Can't remember who, but I definitely remember the thing. That could have a "randomize" button implemented, and then when hiring NPCs, they'd have a randomly generated skin.
    Aye, I ran into that guy. He has a nice program, could use more presets though xD

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As far as the mix and matching goes, I don't really understand why you want it, but mkay.
    We'd like mix-and-match astronaut "parts" because of how math works to add variety.
    Skins for the whole astronaut: possibilities scale linearly with the number of skins available (12 full-astronaut skins offer 12 possible combinations)
    Skins for astronaut parts: possibilities scale exponentially with the number of skins available (6 body skins plus 6 face skins offer about 36 possible combinations.)

Reaction score
    I believe it was Omni, and I think he said that IF he made a female skin, she would be named Daisy. Dave is a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Daisy would be the same, referring to the "Daisy" in the song that HAL 9000 sings.
    Correct! If a female skin or model was created, its default/canon name/nickname would be Daisy. No promises on if or when anything like that would be implemented. I can say that I would certainly love to implement it, though.

It is my hope that astronauts will be a lot more customizable in the future, but I can't make any official statements or promises on if or how this would be the case. The ability to have skins built of many component pieces (in one way or another) is also something I'd love to pursue for variety and giving less artistic players the ability to have their own personal look, but I cannot make any official statements or promises there either.

The NPCs are pretty bare-bones at the moment, and the ability to have NPCs use different skins is a fairly simple feature that just hasn't been implemented at this point. I think you can be pretty certain NPCs won't all look the same in the future. (There is already one NPC with a different skin after all, that being the one at the shop.)

Reactions: Lecic and CyberTao

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Daisy?
    Reminds me too much about some movie character (Disney)...

There should better be an option to rename characters too - or some names to chose from when recruiting NPCs.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Daisy?
    Reminds me too much about some movie character (Disney)...

There should better be an option to rename characters too - or some names to chose from when recruiting NPCs.
    Daisy is a reference to the song that HAL 9000 sings. It's a 2001 reference, just like Dave (main astronaut)

As for renaming, you can already rename NPCs.