Custom config and block editor improvements and new functions

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The block editor needs to be improved. Here's what I would like to see:
    • All the lists can be searched.
    • Build icons can be selected like block textures currently can. Pressing TAB+F9 works. You do need a texture for the block first.
    1. A section dedicated to the custom config.
    2. Ability to customise the block behaviour config.
    The custom config needs more and it needs to be easier. Here's what I'd like to see:
    • The capsules have easier names.
    • All blocks have their names updated; they no longer are referred to in old names.
    1. The custom config needs to support custom recipes. So <Recipes>...<Recipes> needs to be supported.
    2. Custom build icon support. (Maybe Already supported.
    3. New (update 1): Custom blockbehaviourconfig support. The behaviour config is server sided already, does need support like the custom textures though.
    Non of the above currently is implemented. The block editor and custom config also have a few bugs, but those will get fixed.

If I left anything out, just let me know in the comments below, and I'll add it to this list.

Last edited:

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Hows about an official guide to making custom blocks >_<

I remember I tried to make a block a year ago. It failed because I had no guide.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'll be making a guide myself once everything is done. As it currently is we still need a few things to be implemented (everything is listed above).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just out of curiosity, what or were is that block editor you're talking about. I can see an *.xml file and a less then short accompanying *.txt file in a StarMade subfolder and some example textures in another subfolder, but that's it.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    In the second lauch window, the one with the graphic options, you'll see a tab a the top saying 'modding'. Once you click on it you'll see s bar named block editor, along with two other bars for skins. Once you've opened the block editor you'll see a list sorted by shop categories with all the blocks in the game. There you can change all soets of values.

But it currently is bugged when you try to create a new entry (doesn't work) and there is no way of changing the custom config from there, so you'll still have to do that with an xml editor.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ah, I did have a look at the Menu options in the setup window and noticed 'modding', but didn't look further since I haven't yet experienced all of the regular game even. ;)
    It's good to know where to find it though when the time comes, thanks for the info.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    1. The custom config needs to support custom recipes. So <Recipes>...<Recipes> needs to be supported.
    2. Custom build icon support. (Maybe Already supported.
    3. New (update 1): Custom blockbehaviourconfig support. The behaviour config is server sided already, doesn't need support like the custom textures.
    So true. I postet the thing with the recipes in the bugtracker already because i thought it should work.

And i want a "blockBehaviorConfigImport" to change things for a server permantly.

So annoying to change everything by hand after every update.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You can use file comparison tools to easily update configs. It should still be easier to do though.

I use winmerge btw. I also recommend downloading notepad++ to change configs more easily, if you haven't done so already.
    Oh, and I changed my OP again. It now says that it is supported because it is server sided, but that it still needs support like the custom config.

Reaction score
    Is there a linux version for that somewhere? And as far as i know these programms look for specific lines. But in this game the lines change all the time.

And for sure i use notepad++;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not in the blockconfig they don't. You also can make the programs ignore certain things, so unless they move everything again you'll be fine. Otherwise you just know what changed and you can then change it again.

Tip: if you're doing something related to recipes (the ones that get stored by block) you can just use the custom config to not have to update it all the time, but I'm sure you knew that already.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Is there not currently a way to make multiple variants of say a custom hyperflux coil block? I'd love to be able to make a variety of engines with different textures, along with other blocks that have certain behaviors (i.e. shields, power, weapons, etc.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You'd have to edit the blockbehaviour config too. All you'd have to do is copy all the values for thrust, then change the ID to one for the custom thruster, and then you'd have to change the values for said thruster. It shouldn't be too hard once you figure out how to do it.

I will be posting a tutorial on block editing once the block editor gets improved (unless someone posting one first).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    You'd have to edit the blockbehaviour config too. All you'd have to do is copy all the values for thrust, then change the ID to one for the custom thruster, and then you'd have to change the values for said thruster. It shouldn't be too hard once you figure out how to do it.

I will be posting a tutorial on block editing once the block editor gets improved (unless someone posting one first).
    Thanks. Though, I am not really sure where to find the values for thrust.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I looked at them recently, and I don't know if you can, so sorty if I got your hopes up.
    But if you want to try, go to the blockbehaviourconfig and try to figure out how to add new thrusters. Be sure to let me know what you find, because I too am interested in combining the blockbehaviour config and the blockconfig.