Custom AI Factions

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    You need to edit the name of the faction through starmote. Not sure how you\'d do it for singleplayer.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I see no \"upcoming features\" section on the wiki, only a planned features page and that only speaks of Alien threats and not custom factions (the page seems rather old). On the \"Planned Features and Most Popular Ideas\" page custom factions is mention as a popular idea but that doesn\'t make it an upcoming feature, please cite your sources with links.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I\'m not going to spend fifteen minutes looking for every thread on the forums where this has been suggested. In case you haven\'t noticed, Schema tends to listen to his playerbase when it comes to adding new features. If enough people want it, it will likely be added.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This is how false information gets spread, I didn\'t ask you to search the forums for anything. You said that there was a specific page on the Wiki, \"upcoming features\", where custom AI was listed on. I searched and found this to not be the case so I asked for a source link. I know similar AI threads exist (most of which don\'t go in as much detail) and can be found under the Wiki tab on this site under \"Most Popular Ideas\" but that\'s still not proof that it is a planned feature.

Most of the other threads asking for more AI control typically want to add spawn rates or separate ships for trade guild and pirates but not as many fully fledge out a system where admins can create completely unique experiences (PVE) for the servers they run.

Reaction score
    This is a pretty good Idea, very in depth, custom AI factions would be pretty epic, However I would also like to see a couple other things added as well:

• Random Factions, Factions that are generated at the start of a singleplayer game, and have random ships selected from a list, and random relations with other factions.
    • Random Ships, Randomly generates a ship\'s subsystems within a pre-defined set of hulls, for example: you have a hull with 2 large cubic compartments, 3 tube-like compartments, and a small cubic compartment, now, the two large compartments could be filled with: shields, and thrusters, or shields and power, or thrusters and power, the tube compartments could have AMCs or missiles, or salvage/power/drain beams, and adds the ship to the catalog.

An example ship would be like so:

Rear Large compartment: Engines

Central Large Compartment: Power

Left Small Compartment: Shields

Right Small Compartment: Pulse cannon

Left Tube: AMC Battery

Right Tube: Power Drain Beam

Central Tube: Salvage Cannon

Top Docking port: Small AMC turret

Front Docking port: AI Dis-Integrator Lance

This would make the game far more interesting, and would add more depth.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I\'m not really sure how well randomized factions or ships would work. Randomized Factions might be okay with random names and alliances but I don\'t think randomized ships would be very good and would require quite the procedural generator to make nice looking functional ships. What would be good though would be a default set that comes with the game and perhaps the ability to download resource packs that contain pre-defined factions and blueprints. These of course could be made by anybody who plays the game and perhaps have some official packs as well.

Reaction score
    From Omni, the new guy working on the Starmade player character model

\"When I say I believe in options, I mean that passionately. As such, you can expect me to try to make sure as many things can be toggled, changed or customized as possible.)\"

I\'m not sure how much pull he has with Starmade beyond the new model but something along these lines does follow his beliefs of customization so I have a lot of hope for the expansion of the NPCs in the game.

In the end, Schema has all final decisions, but as mentioned in this thread he listens to the community. Schema and I tend to see eye-to-eye on most things with the biggest difference simply being that he can see things from an optimization perspective I\'m not as acquainted with, my coding skills being lackluster and his knowledge of the Schine engine being exclusively detailed. Our discussions often lead to interesting ideas and great results. :)

What I want and what is possible/reasonable are often not the same, and I can usually know which is what before even speaking to Schema about it. Also, things have to be taken a few steps at a time, and it\'s a long staircase. That being said, I don\'t think either I or Schema will disappoint you or the community with what will come to StarMade in the future. :)

While I suspect that the new NPCs will lead into a revamp of the AI system, both the AI and faction system need some serious reworking before features like this are going to be added (this feature IS on schema\'s to-do list. check the wiki\'s \"upcoming features\")

Well I don\'t know about this to-do list; I\'m not sure exactly what you\'re referring to though that doesn\'t mean it doesn\'t exist. But to-do list or not, I don\'t think there\'s a single person around here who doesn\'t want to see AI factions warring against each other, myself included, and I don\'t think Schema is an exception. NPCs with pathfinding offer worlds of new possibilities. No promises on this subject, but if it helps, making my own NPC factions, customizing them, their ships and their bases and sending them to war with each other was one of the first things I really wanted to do in StarMade after learning how to play.

...and if anyone reading this doesn\'t think it\'d be awesome to see custom AI factions going to war with each other, you suck.

Reaction score
    This would be great! I have been wanting something like this for ages. This would also make singleplayer much more interesting

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Random skrimishes, where two or more custom AI factions fight. Nothing major, only 1 to somthing like 4 ships pers faction, but could make space seem just a bit more alive.

The server could be able to set the chances of these smaller battles and the factions antending would be determent by how militeristic they are, which would also be set when creating the custom AI factions so you wouldn\'t have some Blufor trade ships fighting some Opfor freighters at the same time as Indfor absolutly wrecks them with their standard militery ships, ALL the time of course it could still happen :[)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    i tried admining myself into the trading guild one time. it just kicks you out

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I had a similar idea a while ago, involving the generator type thing being used to create creatures also being used to create random alien races who could control anything from a single planet to multiple star systems.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think being able to control the spawn rates of individual ships for each faction would be amazing as well. Otherwise that gigantic Mega Cruiser will spawn just as often as the smaller, more basic fighters. This would make coming across a giant, lumbering trading guild freighter a stroke of luck.

And also, inter- NPC faction relations.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    singleplayer might actually used for something besides building if this happens

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So you\'d have a folder /data/factions, and in it would be individual folders for each faction, with blueprints, descriptions, and maybe behaviors in each one. The default game could come with a trading guild and pirate faction, and you could add your own.

As far as making customized ships, maybe we could have random weapons. So when the game spawns ships, it changes the weapons. With the new weapon types, we could have it so my pirate fighter can have rapid, swarm, seeker, or sleeper missles, or rapid, shotgun, or flak cannons. Something like that.

Reaction score
    Nice, that would be really nice. Especially in single player, if you don\'t want weird people sometimes, but jsut want to run around an wage war like that.

Servers nice too! I did want to eventually create my own server, where it is designed to be Players (and all of their separate factions) working against large amounts of Factioned Pirates. Faction war would be accepted, just highly discouraged as Pirates would want to jump in with large groups and finish people off and take there stuff (some how). It could however be set up to lure Pirates in to bring out big ships to obliterate them and also create more interesting battles.

This would also be a small step toward being able to make Adventure Map kinds of stuff, except more opwn world, so this could be the basis of a way to make your own X games XD.

I\'D LOVE THIS!