Current Max Power Block Efficiency

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    That reddit post does a good job explaining certain things, but it is better to know the mechanics behind the numbers so you can create your own reactor designs on a ship to ship basis instead of relying on only a few sub-optimal designs you\'ve learned.

Power regen comes from two sources. First is the simple one, a set 25/sec per block you have, no matter what.

Second is what is called the box dimension bonus. For each group of power blocks with touching faces, the game adds up the total x, y, and z dimensions of the group and adds bonus regen based on that number (It goes through a simple formula first). This bonus scales up the larger your boxdim is, but caps at a total of 1,000,000 bonus regeneration a second (For the entire ship, not just the group).

So let\'s say you have a single power block. It starts with 25 regen and has a boxdim of 3, because it takes a 1x1x1 box to fit it.

How about a line of 10? That\'s 250+(Boxdim bonus of 12 (1x1x10).

The reason that having two separate power blocks is better than having a group of two, yet having 50 connected power blocks is much better than having 50 separate ones is because an isolated power block has a starting boxdim bonus of 3, whereas adding another block to it only adds 1 to the boxdim number. Once your boxdim bonus for a single group gets high enough it scales up quickly, becoming more efficient than a \'sponge\' reactor.

That is why you should never use a sponge reactor unless you\'re trying to fill a tiny space. If you can fit in 10-15 power blocks effiiciently (Meaning all blocks in one group, all adding to the boxdim), you\'ll end up better and more organized than filling the area with a sponge. Using a sponge pattern for anything not tiny is not very efficient.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The capped is just as, and allows for the same concept of two checkerboard layouts of two different blocks. The only difference is the two ends, which, if you read the edit note at the bottom of the Capped Checkerboard section, you\'ll see that it\'s a simple matter of replacing the two ends of the checkerboard with an array of plus signs, an easy pattern to duplicate once the body of the layout is assmebled. And to the knowledge of both my friend and I, the capped is still better in every way unless you\'re looking for a stealth ship, in which case even the smallest increase in block count can break the design.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks for that! :) I was really having a hard time figuring out exactly what the mechanics were. I kinda sorta knew most of what you said, but I wasn\'t entirely sure if that was the case, and I certainly didn\'t know the numbers behind it.

And I\'m now aware that the sponge is only just better at certain dimensions, like the checkerboard is only just better at others. However, I still have to go with my capped checkerboard as the best I\'ve found (unless I want to make a stealth ship).

One final thing. I know your response was mostly about the mechanics of the power blocks and why the sponge is not so great after all, but I wanted to point something out for the people who will inevitably read your post and think, \"I\'ll just build along the three axes and be set for recharge rate.\" The main issue with adding to the boxdim as much as possible is that it has a limit to usefulness even before reaching the boxdim bonus limit you mentioned. I mean sure, making a 71x71x400 box with only three lines gives you over 670,000 e/sec, but at that size the ship becomes unyieldy, and usually undesirable unless making a stealth ship. Making a more compact design in a 11x11x50 area produces a much better recharge rate. The issue is they take a lot more blocks, so the efficiency rating per block goes way down, while the efficiency per volume goes way up. Just wanted to mention that for the general public.

Again, thanks for the info! :)

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    And you\'re right. Adding to the boxdim means you\'d NEED a larger ship to fit your generator. Sometimes you\'ll have to find a balance between size of groups and number of groups.

Reaction score
    I never said you should only use a single line, I was showing that having fewer, but longer lines is better than many small ones.