Current Maths

Reaction score
    I'm KingofCalamity, nice to meet you all. I suck at aesthetics but so far I've been able to make some really nice weapon and power set ups. That being said, working off the top of my head doesn't work often enough. So I'm here looking for the basic equations for various blocks.

Power Capacity
    Shield Capacity
    Shield Rechargers: s/sec and power consumption (stable/recharging)
    Thrust: Stable/full thrust

Power Blocks....

That last one is a tricky one. Has anyone found the system of equations they use for that yet? I'm not really worried about it as I use a set reactor design for the moment and Will simply add enough blocks until I meet my power needs.

Thanks a head of time.

Just to let you know, I have looked all over and all I can find is old an outdated. No less then a dozen or so versions ago.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Thrusters and shields(regardless if charger or capacitor) are just linear equasions dependant on the block-count. As such, you can measure those easily.
    Power reactors are different though, since they have a boxdim bonus, that caps out at around 1000000 e/s.
    Basically, each power reactor block gives you a constant generation of 25 e/s, and each group gives you a bonus power generation dependant on it's dimensions and the bonus other groups give you(so the bonus cap cannot be circumvented easily).
    If you want 1000000 e/s regeneration or less, go for long crosses or L shapes(shapes that have the biggest dimensions while being connected but having the least volume.
    Once you reached the 1000000 e/s cap, just spam the reactor blocks, since they'll just give you 25 e/s per block.

Reaction score
    Thrusters and shields(regardless if charger or capacitor) are just linear equasions dependant on the block-count. As such, you can measure those easily.
    Power reactors are different though, since they have a boxdim bonus, that caps out at around 1000000 e/s.
    Basically, each power reactor block gives you a constant generation of 25 e/s, and each group gives you a bonus power generation dependant on it's dimensions and the bonus other groups give you(so the bonus cap cannot be circumvented easily).
    If you want 1000000 e/s regeneration or less, go for long crosses or L shapes(shapes that have the biggest dimensions while being connected but having the least volume.
    Once you reached the 1000000 e/s cap, just spam the reactor blocks, since they'll just give you 25 e/s per block.
    So shields got changed? Last I heard the more you had the less each block gave you. Then again, as I said, most of what I've found is pretty old.

What are the base numbers? I'm on my phone right now so I can't really find out myself.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think the wiki actually contains *some* useful information about this stuff. I'd give it a try. (wiki link at the top of this site - the ones on google are bogus)

Reaction score
    It gives the math for the power but none of the basic numbers I'm looking for. Thanks for the info though. I'll just have to check it all out when I get home. Once I get all of it together then I'll probably go on and add to the stubs.

Reaction score
    For those of you wondering I did do the math, and while Thrusters and shields do hold some resemblance to a linear progression they fit the curve of a quadratic function much more effectively. Once I get new batteries for my calculator as they are dying and I had to stop several times just to enter in my 16 variables, I will take a larger sample size and see if I can refine the equations a bit more. I will be able to do more testing on Thursday and hopefully have a better set of equations sometime before Friday.

I'll see about setting up a statistical sample for Power Efficiency vs Thrust and Shields once I've dug into the numbers a little more.

Still working out Power use on thrusters under load. Didn't get much testing done but that will happen on Thursday as well I hope.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The official wiki contains accurate formulas for all of the blocks you're examining, I believe. I don't quite see what you mean by there not being the 'basic numbers' you are looking for - it doesn't really get any more basic than the formula itself, does it? I hope that you clarify this at some point.

What you're doing is interesting, but I'm worried that you're wasting your time and energy on things which are already known, tested, and documented.

However, it does occur to me that perhaps the formulas in question weren't documented at the time, in which case I suggest you check out the relevant wiki pages again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Once I get new batteries for my calculator
    If you are running windows 7 or beyond, there is a built-in calculator. If you have a phone, more often than not there is also one built in. If all else fails, Google and math websites have online ones. ;)
    Hopefully now you don't need to waste batteries on calculators :)

Reaction score
    If you are running windows 7 or beyond, there is a built-in calculator. If you have a phone, more often than not there is also one built in. If all else fails, Google and math websites have online ones. ;)
    Hopefully now you don't need to waste batteries on calculators :)
    I use Linux and I have, on hand, a TI-84 graphing calculator for statistical analysis. Stats class at the college last year, had to buy it.

On a side note, using the equations that I found for shields and the ones that I finally found on the wiki, they provide the same answers. After talking with my old stats teacher, he suggested using the quadratic function I pulled together for my analysis because it is statistically equivalent and based off of the data I myself have gathered.

I managed to drain the batteries last night to get a rather long equation for thrust. Power usage is pretty simple. Stationary ships use power equal to the number of thrust blocks and ships accelerating or at full thrust use the number of thrust blocks times 25. This varies a little but after several dozen tests with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 10 blocks N x 25 seems to be the most proper answer with a variance of about 1% on the low end and around 5% on the high end.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1420588827,1420588175][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The official wiki contains accurate formulas for all of the blocks you're examining, I believe. I don't quite see what you mean by there not being the 'basic numbers' you are looking for - it doesn't really get any more basic than the formula itself, does it? I hope that you clarify this at some point.

What you're doing is interesting, but I'm worried that you're wasting your time and energy on things which are already known, tested, and documented.

However, it does occur to me that perhaps the formulas in question weren't documented at the time, in which case I suggest you check out the relevant wiki pages again.
    You are correct, when I first posted this the equations for the shields were not on the wiki. They are now and as I stated my equations are statistically equivalent. Once I get them tightened down a little and test them a little more I'll post them. I want to try and iron then out as much as possible.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i remember the cap is around 1200000 e/s, not 1000000 e/s

Reaction score
    i remember the cap is around 1200000 e/s, not 1000000 e/s
    That seems to be rather subjective. I was able to get a little over 1.3m e/s before hitting the soft cap. I've heard that number a few more times then I've heard 1.2m or just 1m. I've done it myself on paper adjusting the soft cap to 1m for ease of calculation.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The BONUS goes up to 1mil e/s, subtract the 25 e/s flat each power block gives to find out when you reach the cap. If you reach the cap at a higher value then it just means your setup is less efficient ie. uses more blocks for less increase.

Reaction score
    The BONUS goes up to 1mil e/s, subtract the 25 e/s flat each power block gives to find out when you reach the cap. If you reach the cap at a higher value then it just means your setup is less efficient ie. uses more blocks for less increase.
    I'll have to look into that. Need to save that space.

Reaction score
    A few equations can be found in the block behavior config files.

Shield generation is defined as shieldCapacity = ((totalUnitShieldCapacity*ShieldCapacityPreMul)^ShieldCapacityPow)*ShieldCapacityTotalMul

It's an exponential function, so you can do a lot of tweaking. Shield regen uses prettty much the same equation, with a modified applied during combat.

Here's a comparison of default shield capacity and regen vs. the ones I run on a server I admin for.

The default cap is 1,000,000 e/s. It can be modified.

Here's a text dump from the config file:

<BlockBehavior>
    <General>
    <BasicValues>
    <DefensiveEffectMaxPercentMassMult>10</DefensiveEffectMaxPercentMassMult> <!-- multiplication of mass used as max percent for defensive effects: ratio = effectBlockCount / (mass*DefensiveEffectMaxPercentMassMult)-->
    <ShieldExtraCapacityMultPerUnit>1</ShieldExtraCapacityMultPerUnit> <!-- totalUnitShieldRecharge = (unitSize*ShieldExtraRechargeMultPerUnit) -->
    <ShieldExtraRechargeMultPerUnit>1</ShieldExtraRechargeMultPerUnit> <!-- shieldCapacity = ((totalUnitShieldCapacity*ShieldCapacityPreMul)^ShieldCapacityPow)*ShieldCapacityTotalMul -->
    <ShieldDoInitialWithoutFromCore>true</ShieldDoInitialWithoutFromCore> <!-- if true, the ship will have initial shields without any shield blocks. if false, the initial values are added when the first shield block is placed -->
    <ShieldCapacityInitial>55</ShieldCapacityInitial> <!-- initial shield capacity on ships without shieldCapacity blocks -->
    <ShieldRechargeInitial>0</ShieldRechargeInitial> <!-- initial shield recharge on ships without shieldRecharge blocks -->
    <ShieldCapacityPow>0.9791797578</ShieldCapacityPow>
    <ShieldCapacityPreMul>1.0</ShieldCapacityPreMul>
    <ShieldCapacityTotalMul>55</ShieldCapacityTotalMul> <!-- shieldCapacity = ((totalUnitShieldCapacity*ShieldCapacityPreMul)^ShieldCapacityPow)*ShieldCapacityTotalMul -->
    <ShieldRechargePow>1.0</ShieldRechargePow> <!-- shieldCapacity = ((totalUnitShieldCapacity*1.0)^0.9)*55 -->
    <ShieldRechargePreMul>1.0</ShieldRechargePreMul>
    <ShieldRechargeTotalMul>5.5</ShieldRechargeTotalMul>
    <ShieldRechargeCycleTime>1.0</ShieldRechargeCycleTime> <!-- time in secs between recharge cycles. This value is relative, so changing it won't affect the time a ship needs to fully recharge (e.g. twice as many cycles -> half as many reacharge per cycle)-->
    <ShieldRecoveryTimeAfterOutage>10</ShieldRecoveryTimeAfterOutage> <!-- time, the shield will not recharge after reaching 0 -->
    <ShieldDirectRecoveryTime>60</ShieldDirectRecoveryTime> <!-- this time is set to the value gives after each hit sustained. In direct recovery, <ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent> is applied. Otherwise it's running on full recharge -->
    <ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent>0.5</ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent> <!-- MAX % at high health - in direct recovery, the shield recharge will be multiplied by (1-((shield/max)*thisValue));-->
    <ShieldRecoveryMult>0.1</ShieldRecoveryMult> <!-- MAX % at low health - in direct recovery, the shield recharge will be multiplied: recharge = recharge*thisValue;-->
    <ShieldRechargePowerConsuption>10</ShieldRechargePowerConsuption> <!-- (when shield < 100%) per regen point -->
    <ShieldFullPowerConsuption>1</ShieldFullPowerConsuption> <!-- (when shield == 100%) per regen point -->
    <PowerDivFactor>0.333</PowerDivFactor>
    <PowerCeiling>1000000.0</PowerCeiling>
    <PowerGrowth>1.000696</PowerGrowth>
    <PowerLinearGrowth>25.0</PowerLinearGrowth>
    <PowerRecoveryTime>1000</PowerRecoveryTime>
    <PowerBaseCapacity>50000</PowerBaseCapacity>
    <PowerTankCapacityLinear>1000</PowerTankCapacityLinear> <!-- multiplication per unit -->
    <PowerTankCapacityPow>1.05</PowerTankCapacityPow> <!-- unitSize^x per unit -->
    <TakeOffEffectPowerConsumptionMult>1</TakeOffEffectPowerConsumptionMult> <!-- multiplied by force -->
    <EvadeEffectPowerConsumptionMult>1</EvadeEffectPowerConsumptionMult> <!-- multiplied by force -->
    <PersonalSalvageBeamBonus>1.25</PersonalSalvageBeamBonus> <!-- bonus mult of raw resources when salvaging with handheld salvage beam (everything between whole numbers is chance (e.g. 1.25 give 25% chance of an extra raw yield) -->
    </BasicValues>
    </General>
    <Thruster>
    <BasicValues>
    <MulTotalThrust>1</MulTotalThrust> <!-- total = (total^PowTotalThrust)*MulTotalThrust -->
    <PowTotalThrust>0.87</PowTotalThrust> <!-- total = (total^PowTotalThrust)*MulTotalThrust -->
    <ThrustPowerConsuptionPerBlock>1</ThrustPowerConsuptionPerBlock> <!-- WARNING: this is consumed every 30ms! use -1 for power consuption per thrust generated -->
    <PowPerThrustCollection>1</PowPerThrustCollection>
    <UnitCalcStyle>LINEAR</UnitCalcStyle> <!-- LINEAR, BOX_DIM_MULT, BOX_DIM_ADD -->
    <UnitCalcMult>5.5</UnitCalcMult> <!-- multiplied with result of UnitCalcStyle -->
    </BasicValues>
    </Thruster>

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The power BONUS is capped at 1 million. Every reactor you use has a 25 e/sec base regen + part of the 1 mil bonus (which caps out at 1 mil). That's why the number varies between people, their reactors don't have the same efficiency.

Generally it caps out at 1.2 mil for people because they need around 8k power blocks to achieve the cap. However, if you just make a very long line until you reach the cap (the most efficient design possible block count wise) then you'll notice that power caps out at a lower number. I think that it's around 1200 blocks in a straight line that are needed to reach the cap. So if I'm right with that number then the soft cap would be reached at 1.03 mil total power (only for the straight line reactor).