Cruise control

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Let's say you want to visit another galaxy... That is far far away and don't want to hit the "w" key for 5 minutes. Just hit the cruise control button and enjoy the ride. You could still stear or shoot and even get out of the pilot seat to check on your spaceship. This idea could also bring new blocks like one that would alert you, if there is a physical object in your path, so you can run to the cockpit and retake control of the commands.

Thanks for reading my idea

-JC1206

Reaction score
    part of the fun though is seeing what passes by on the way through the galaxy and hand-navigating i think. plus the waypoint system in regards to sectors is not a straight line, but it curves around a bit sometimes.

that might be a bit tricky to do, plus it is unnecessary in my opinion.

Reaction score
    This could be interesting, but there\'s a plan for the Bobby AI for that I believe. That would give you the time to do some crafting aboard your ship while the auto-pilot drives you to your next destination...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    you can do that already just by changinh the physics_linear_damping value to 0 on your server.cfg file witch will make your ship to not slow down naturaly when you\'re not hitting the w key

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    not everyone is going to want to change their server settings. having cruse control would be a much better idea. a good addition to this would be to set the speed that you want to travel at rather than just blasting away at top speed and draining your energy

Reaction score
    A simple solution would be to have brakes be a toggle instead of a button you hold down, switching between automatic-slowing mode and free-coasting, with the later not having linear dampening at all.

While we\'re at it, can we have the brakes also slow rotational inertia? It\'s incredibly hard to line up ships to airlocks at the moment. Though... that will stop being necessary once we can dock ships with turrets on them onto stations.

Reaction score
    Why not just have acceleration a la\' Mech Warrior series? Instead of holding forward to go forward, you press forward until your slider reaches your desired percentage. Then your engines work to keep you at that speed. Upon entering any gravity field/coming within a certian range of an object/reaching your destination will reset the slider to 0, and your engines will brake.