Crew as a resource

Reaction score
    It has been pointed out that physical crew would create issues, and while I don't personally mind stabilizers they seem to have been met with a great amount of hatred from the populace. This idea addresses most of the things I have seen claimed as the goal. Intangible crew, purchased from shops.

First thing first. Remove stabilizers.

Replace them with crew quarters (incredibly weak block easy to destroy). Make them calculate hollow space that must be at least 2 meters tall. Minimum size can be decided at a later point, however the amount of "crew" that can be housed by a given crew compartment can scale with size. Make it necessary to have corridors of at least 2 tall 1 wide hollow space to be able to assign crew to various things, shields, reactor, thrusters, etc. this would give an "efficiency bonus" based on size of system compared to number of crew. Massive reactor needs lots of crew to run at full efficiency. Huge shield banks need huge maintenance crews. Everything runs at 50% with no crew involved, to get it to 100% you need crew. (dead spaghetti meta) Islands would still be possible but if you don't connect everything with decent corridors then when a set of crew quarters gets damaged you lose efficiency in that area, so now since you have to connect things with corridors and have to build larger crew quarters it makes islands less viable and more likely to be covered with hull, the covered areas outside the corridors then get used for systems and everyone is back to big hulking ships that look awesome and have interiors...

I would like to hear thoughts on this.