Crawling, Crouching, Ducking, dodging, diving, falling, ledge-grabbing, pushing, punching etc.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This would be a suggestion for astonaut roleplayers, and maybe people who just want to crawl around in that ventilation shaft, or even have diving contests! Or maybe dodging and ducking behind walls in a shoot-out, or grabbing onto a ledge when someone pushes you off.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    dude, the keyboard wouldn't have enough keys for all of those, perhaps combos?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    65 keys on mine not including the off and F1 ect buttons

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    65 keys on mine not including the off and F1 ect buttons
    Did you sit there and count them all? >.>

And besides, Starmade already has a ton of keys already being used for stuff, so there are really only a few left like you said :p

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    You don't need a key for all of these functions if you program the game to make certain keys perform certain actions based on the circumstances.

Crawling could be a step below crouching, and to activate it you could just press a certain key combination with the crouch key or cycle through positions: standing, crouching, crawling.

but crouching and ducking are the same thing sooo whatever

dodging and diving could essentially be the same thing by making a dodge/dive move initiate when you double-tap a movement key.

ledge-grabbing could be automatic based on whether or not the player jumped while looking at a ledge

pushing could be implemented for example if you hold R before running up against a block or something

and punching, well, that'd be great for roleplaying or if you've been stripped of your gear or something

I guess that could be implemented somehow.

Reaction score
    Yeah, I think there's probably a natural way of integrating a lot of the movements you'd want to be able to do into very few actual buttons (look at FPS controls, for example). Maybe you'd:
    Hold a key to crouch (maybe shift), then push a direction key while holding the crouch key to crawl.
    Double tap forward to run, sideways or backwards to do a quick sidestep in that direction.
    Diving could maybe be achieved by pressing the crouch key in midair.
    Ledge grabbing should be somewhat automatic but it would get annoying if it happened all the time. Maybe you'd have to be facing the block and holding the forward movement key?
    Punching could just be a click when you don't have anything selected in your inventory.
    And pushing? It could be movement and holding the left mouse button, maybe, but what would you be pushing? Blocks? That might be a little complicated to code.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You don't need a key for all of these functions if you program the game to make certain keys perform certain actions based on the circumstances.

Crawling could be a step below crouching, and to activate it you could just press a certain key combination with the crouch key or cycle through positions: standing, crouching, crawling.

but crouching and ducking are the same thing sooo whatever

dodging and diving could essentially be the same thing by making a dodge/dive move initiate when you double-tap a movement key.

ledge-grabbing could be automatic based on whether or not the player jumped while looking at a ledge

pushing could be implemented for example if you hold R before running up against a block or something

and punching, well, that'd be great for roleplaying or if you've been stripped of your gear or something

I guess that could be implemented somehow.
    I totally agree! You can have a heck of motions/actions using only a few keys (Like, only 3, no rly. Google the Minecraft Smart Moving mod)

P.S.
    Very sorry if it seems like I'm pulling really old topics to the top here. Just searched "Crawling" to see if I had to suggest this :P Now I don't have to type a huge load of stuff! :P

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I totally agree! You can have a heck of motions/actions using only a few keys (Like, only 3, no rly. Google the Minecraft Smart Moving mod)

P.S.
    Very sorry if it seems like I'm pulling really old topics to the top here. Just searched "Crawling" to see if I had to suggest this :p Now I don't have to type a huge load of stuff! :p
    Well it's a good idea, so I don't really see anything wrong with bumping it.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Use the STALKER key combos or something for it?

Shift for crouch
    Shift+CTRL for Prone.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This would be a suggestion for astonaut roleplayers, and maybe people who just want to crawl around in that ventilation shaft, or even have diving contests! Or maybe dodging and ducking behind walls in a shoot-out, or grabbing onto a ledge when someone pushes you off.
    I totaly disagree with this bunch of uselessness.
    as starmade is being build every minute is used.
    wasting hours on such an useless thing is a lost of esential time.

why useless?
    well if you count how many minutes you walked/floated around, how much would that be?
    my gues is 5 minutes walking/floating every hour.
    have you really had so many moments that you needed to crouch trough small places?

diving is impossible!
    how the hack are you going to dive without gravity.
    this reduces diving moments to lets say 1 minute every 3 hours of game play.

dodging&ducking is not needed!
    what do you want to dodge?
    lasers? well you are probably in a ship most of the time, if not the rest of starmade is.

punching the onlything i agree on!
    well for punching it doesn't cost that much time.
    it is a melee effect. usefull in a hand to hand combat.
    but afterall, when will you ever get in close comabat?!

falling is already here!
    ever noticed you fall when gravity is on?

ledge-grabbing is weird!
    idk really what you mean by ledge-grabbing
    but if its like grabbing an edge, wtf dude why do you want to grab an edge?

pushing is for bullies!
    only bullies want to push people!
    by the time you get close enough to someone he already shot you.
    pushing friends off an edge is also hard without gravity

so to make it complete all this is totaly useless as being an astronout floating around is also useless
    remember that astronoud mode is more used as transportation between small places, nothing more atm.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score

why useless?
    well if you count how many minutes you walked/floated around, how much would that be?
    have you really had so many moments that you needed to crouch trough small places?

diving is impossible!

lasers? well you are probably in a ship most of the time, if not the rest of starmade is.

falling is already here!

ledge-grabbing is weird!

pushing is for bullies!

so to make it complete all this is totaly useless as being an astronout floating around is also useless
    remember that astronoud mode is more used as transportation between small places, nothing more atm.

You do realize that there are places with gravity, and handheld weapons, right? More focus on astronauts is coming in the future.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You do realize that there are places with gravity, and handheld weapons, right? More focus on astronauts is coming in the future.
    i said without gravity, meaning well.... without gravity.
    i'm talking about right now, everybody is being outside a ship as short as possible.
    weapons aren't used much either.
    once dungeons are implanted into starmade it would be time for those things
    and i'm very sure dungeons aren't even a bit close to coming into starmade, if planned.
    i think they already thought of all these things and were like "we want to have a main frame right now, we have better things to do"
    as there are many things to be added this "feature" will probably come at 80-100% done
    so in the far end of the game.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    i said without gravity, meaning well.... without gravity.
    i'm talking about right now, everybody is being outside a ship as short as possible.
    once dungeons are implanted into starmade it would be time for those things
    and i'm very sure dungeons aren't even a bit close to coming into starmade, if planned.
    i think they already thought of all these things and were like "we want to have a main frame right now, we have better things to do"
    as there are many things to be added this "feature" will probably come at 80-100% done
    so in the far end of the game.
    Problem is, stuff like that usually has to be rooted in the engine in one form or another.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    i have 1% scripting and game programming knowledge.
    could you define rooting it into the engine in one form or another?
    A game usually consists of a physics engine (in the case of abstract games exchange physics with core-mechanics) and a graphics engine.
    The all physics engine does is make sure already existing object, which aren't specifically controlled to do otherwise, follow it's laws(collisions, [gravity], etc.). A completely scripted object e.g. does not react to the physics engine, although the physics engine may consider it as an input in it's calculation(the best example would be the ground in most FPS games, or an indestructible[and incontrollable] train driving through a station in regular intervals).
    As it is now, there are no "sticky" object in starmade, from which I think it is safe to conclude, that the engine does not even support that. Yes, the astronaut can align himself with an entity, but all that does is add the entitie's movement and orientation vectors to the astronaut's movement and orientation vectors, nothing more. The engine currently isn't even able to tell weither or not the astronaut only stands halfway on an edge, because it only checks for collisions between the astronaut's hitbox and the entitie's hitbox(-es). The engine would need to be modified to allow detection of edges relative to an astronaut. And since the physics engine is the heart of every game, that has one, modifying it will require the entire rest of the program to be accomodated to the changes, sometimes requiring everything to be rewritten.

All the graphics engine does, is read the set of existing objects and drawing them onto the screen, so we can ignore it for this discussion.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Quite on the contrary here. I love surviving, building bases on planets with nothing but factories, and trying to survive pirate raids with them. I spend a very small amount of time in Build Blocks and ships.
    I do, although, rather agree with this. As it will be sometime until aliens and stuff would be at a point where more actions would actually be useful, in my opinion though.

Reaction score

why useless?

diving is impossible!

falling is already here!

ledge-grabbing is weird!

pushing is for bullies!

I agree!!

Until there are LARGE NPC filled planets that do not cause server lag. All of this moment outside of space ships seems pointless.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    pushing is for bullies!
    Never pushed a button in your whole life? :D :p

why useless?
    No, we really need this.
    • You can already jump/fall through a 1x1z hole in the floor/ceiling, but not horizontally through walls.
    • This would also reduce the space minimally required for stairs/ramps.

We also need walk-through blocks which are painted/textured on the inside (only where they touch other blocks).
    • With this, you would need less decorative blocks for a proper machine room.