Crafting hull blocks

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hey gang! So I decided to load this back up and start over. I've been watching videos on a lot of the new features to get back up to speed.

Normal Survival mode. Got to a planet peacefully. Homed it, docked my makeshift miner. Now I'm doing mining runs. I've got a small factory. Basic, Standard, Advanced, Capsule refinery. Each with 10 factory enhancers. Now I'm starting to get materials to build bigger ships.

Is there a better way to automate production. I've watched a few videos but haven't found the answers yet.

For example, is there a way to efficiently produce different hull blocks. (As a side I think its time Schine to do away with having to craft EVERY TYPE of hull block. Competitors like Empyrion have a much more user friendly system where you just build the block, then select which shape you need it in during build. They also have a color tool, which fine if you want me to have to make paint for, but that paint should be able to be applied to any hull. Having to make each form of a block, and in different colors is BEYOND tedious. Its the reason I stopped playing in the first place now that I remembered it. Really need to look at that) Ok back on point. I want to start building a mining barge with maybe a drone or two since I haven't gotten to use fleet mechanics yet. I just don't want to set up a factory for every hull block. Seems kinda silly, eats lots of power, and costs a lot of factory enhancers to do it any kind of quickly.

Right now I'm using the handy guides pinned about asteroids to try and make the rounds to all the different resources I need. Turrets will come soon. I'm just dreading trying to make a large carrier ship in survival. Unless there's a more efficient way to make these hulls, it almost makes me want to ditch survival and play creative. However, then there's no challenge. It feels like there's no middle ground.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this is rushed. Limited time to type. Please let me know if you need clarification from me on something.

Thank you! Love this game!! Want to get out there and start melting some pirates lol.

Oh I'm single player fyi

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Competitors like Empyrion have a much more user friendly system where you just build the block, then select which shape you need it in during build.
    This is planned. No idea if a color tool will come, too.

Unfortunately, setting up seperate factories for each block type is currently the best thing you can do.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    How do you guys generally handle production in Survival when you get to the stage of making larger ships? Just have a gagillion factory enhancers and letting it tick a few times on each?

Or does everyone just eventually move over to creative at some point to build big stuff?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I just plan in advance of building and make all the materials needed and keep in storage. on a side note don't link your shop to your storage and forget to take ownership,it realy sucks starting from scratch in survival(experience talking:()

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I just plan in advance of building and make all the materials needed and keep in storage. on a side note don't link your shop to your storage and forget to take ownership,it realy sucks starting from scratch in survival(experience talking:()
    What do you mean? I haven't done anything with shops yet. Those weren't in before. I just have a small factory and a storage with a 2x3x3 cargo storage right now. Its only about 60% full atm.

So we can have shops on our bases now?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    yes you can buy shop module and link to trade network.
    What do you mean by don't forget to take ownership? Is that something you do in the block, or do you just mean make sure you don't hook the wrong inventory up to it because it will sell it all?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    go into shop module under options and put your user name into owner,otherwise someone can clean out your shop storage!(as well as main if connected:oops:)