CPU usage 100%, massive heat generated.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This could be just me, and I went inactive for quite some time playing other games and was busy with life. Now I'm back, and when I play star-made, my cpu usage shoots up to 100% and stays there.

I'm using a fairly old laptop, and have tried changing every setting on startup to just about every option, with no changes to the cpu and heat. With this my pc overheats after under five minutes of playing, and no there is not a problem with my fan or vents. I have had a few problems with heat in the past, but could play for a few hours and usually didn't have it overheat.

It could be simply that the textures are higher res than they used to be, demanding much more processing power, or one of the many changes and updates to the performance. I have been trying to find a low-res pack or make my own, but am unsure of how to, I'm great with computers, but vidieo editing and programing are not my strongsuits.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I\'m goin to assume you just updated an existing Universe?

The New update uses a new format for blocks, and causes alot of CPU usage/stress/lag while it converts the blocks. You just have to grit your teeth and try to bear through it (and resave any Blueprints in the new format as well, old ones will still spawn, but may cause lag while do so)

If not this, then I dunno x-x

Reaction score
    texture resolution requires little in the way of processing power. They more need memory space to decompress in. It could simply be a matter of the game being too demanding for your computer in general, and theres nothing that can really be done about that. The requirements will only go up as the game is developed.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Optimization will allow the game to run with lower specs, which is what this update more or less was, The Octree helps to lower some of the requirements

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m pretty sure my pc has the graphix card intigrated into the cpu, so the gpu and cpu are one and the same. Not 100% sure, this pc sucks at showing what it acuially has inside of it... like it dosen\'t display the processor speed properly but i\'m fairly certain that the gpu is intigrated on my craptop. as far as the game becoming too demanding goes, I would believe that. It dosen\'t make too much sense though, concidering I can play skyrim, fallout nv, fallout 3, black and white 2, gta san andreas, minecraft, World of Tanks, Dark Star One, and many other games without problems. So it confuses me as to why a game like Star-Made wouldnt\' be able to run well when skyrim can. I do have some problems with minecraft, but those are just low fps problems, and low fps I can live with.

Reaction score
    Lower resolutions help with loading, mostly. The lag caused from higher resolutions comes from your system having to constantly swap with the page file when there isnt enough space in memory for it all. The game has 2 main texture sheets, and all together, the default textures take up less then 10MB. Each sheet only needs to be loaded into memory once to cover every block, so the texture processing time is next to null.

Reaction score
    If your computer/laptop is overheating at all it is most defenitely a cooling issue thats on your end. Unless schema added something that slows down your fans your cooling just isn\'t sufficient.

Another thing to note is that all schemas optimizations is that he lowers the required amount of ram and such in exchange for more cpu usage, which might be a problem for older hardware. did you try turning down the settings already? (no shadows, low render distance etc.)

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    To reduce the overall heat and load generated on high class computers,
    it may and should help to enable vsync or \'fixed framerate\',
    one of these option should work out pretty good,
    since starmade tries to increase framerate as much as it can without any sane limitation by hardware.

So on balanced gamer computers this may result in maxing out all cpu and gpu usage.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Settings are as low as they can go, but my fps is only about 20 so I don\'t want to fix it which (for me anyway) usually slightly lowers fps even though its not at 60 or above allready.

Its not a cooling problem, well I suppose it is but the cooling system is working the best it ever has, which isn\'t very good. Its just that if the processor is going at high usage then the cooling system just isn\'t good enough. The only work around for me is opening the window in the winter, and making it be 45 degrees in my room, but this time of year that dosen\'t work. Is there any way to make it be more ram demanding and cut back on cpu power needed?

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    increase the max-ram in the launcher.
    Before clicking \'start game\' you can adjust the max and min ram sizes for star-made.

\"Options\" -> \"Memory settings\"

Increasing it will reduce cpu load a little bit.

My current setup:
    Max Memory: 2048
    Initial Memory: 1024
    Early Gen Memory: 256

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Mine is set to

max: 3084

Inital: 1024

Early gen: 1024

but since I changed the res of the pack its been a ton better, I can play now :D

Zeveryn

The Devious Traitor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I got some heat issues too. i got all settings on default,

Thing is i got an open side Desktop and 5 fans to go with that.

My Core gets around 57 Degree Celcius while playing this game. Wich is alot, I get around 37 when playing Far cry 3. and 42 while playing Bf4

running the game at 200-340 fps.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    is where my pc overheats, it usually runs around 70, but with this game unless my room is cool (below 15C) I run around 85-89 or overheat. Now with my room at 15ish i can run at 75-80C

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    over 80fps AND heat problems should
    enable vsync or \'fix framerate\' to cap it to your screen refresh or 60.

- Andy

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    My laptop used to burn me (literally). I set the Vsync on and my computer is now only warm to the touch instead of insanely hot. It may not be related but it helped a lot. As for the 100% CPU : just bear through it until everything loads in, at that point cpu levels should go back to normal.

It may also be because I turned it to power saver and didn\'t switch it to high performance. The performance didn\'t drop at all in power saver mode.

Reaction score
    On my desktop with an AMD FX4300... not a super powerfull CPU but far better than anthing in a laptop.

When I use my server and I add in things like power blocks to a large ship I will see 100% CPU until the power is done recalculating.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My laptop isn\'t overheating, it just goes down to 0.5 fps or somet, severe gfx lag, whenever a planet or big ship is nearby. The game is unplayable, and this laptop is only 1-2 yrs old. Starmade isn\'t, or shouldn\'t be, at least, a graphically intensive game. I would love to play regularly, and be a future paying customer, but i\'ll never buy in if i can\'t run the game at higher fps and actually enjoy all it\'s features. The game is absolutely unplayable when much of anything happens in multiplayer - big ship, planet, lots of salvaging, lots of guns, fast movement.

Please, please, PLEASE devs listen to your older and lower-end gamers: make this game work well on older systems, and not another out-of-reach new game that requires a new computer, too. All computer technology is moving away from desktops and dedicated gaming computers with dedicated graphics cards, to tablets and laptops with integrated graphics. Look to the future, and include the past, and develop sensibly and modestly to include more gamers.

...is there a low-res texture pack? An option to lower detail (LOD or visibility) and not just cut out \"segments\" so we see black space where we know there should be a planet surface? At a certain distance you don\'t need to render a polygon, only a pixel and a color.

Reaction score
    I have duel AMD FX6300\'s for my build but just one could help you out a ton far more stable then the FX4300\'s by far and they use the same socket AM3, in order to reach similar benchmakrs as an oc\'ed i7 (costing around $400-$600)

cost me only $200 pluse mobo with duel sockets another $200