Suggested coupling a turret AI to a activation module

Reaction score
    hello

I was wondering
    what if we can link a activation module to a Bobby Ai ?

when the activation module is off the turret will be set or held in its default position and wont attempt to shoot

when the activation module is on the turret will function like usual

why do I want this ?

well lets say I have a long barreled cannon that can fit only one way into a rail docking contraption
    when its rotated in some direction and I want to retract them they might get jammed

with being able to force it back into its original state the platform can now tell the cannon to go lineup before it cover closes or retracts back into the ship or station

Reactions: Lukwan
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This is a good idea, and has been suggested before.

Also there is a 'reset all turrets' option in the Entity Structure menu, under rail system collective. Use this in the meantime :)

Reaction score
    There are also all-turret activation/deactivation options in there, so they don't try to track while you're under fire and pulling something minorly idiotic ;).

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I do remember this being discussed at some point in some Q&A or something but I could be wrong. The way I imagined it is a signal to the dock itself and not the Bobby AI would activate the turret and once that signal is removed the turret will deactivate and return to it's center position. The benefit of handling it trough the dock means you don't have to worry about wireless blocks just to activate your turrets.

Reaction score
    the down side might be that people forget that the ai is linked and wonder why the turret isn't shooting

about the manual reset
    if a turret can be reset by a logic .. it can help turret based auto enemy detectors to turn off the alarm automaticly :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Alternatively, when the Bobbys no longer have anything to fire on, they should automatically return to the default position.

Reaction score
    Alternatively, when the Bobbys no longer have anything to fire on, they should automatically return to the default position.
    that be nice .. and give a outgoing signal so the turrets can auto retract back into the covers

Reaction score
    If I recall correctly, this isn't in yet because it changes an existing mechanic.
    EX: an activator linked to a rail or turret dock,when activated, forcibly un-docks that particular rail.

This is not the "rail with an activator placed adjacent to it", nor is it the "rail linked to an activator".

This mechanic is how "docking lockouts" work in the various airlocks available in community content.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    all those awesome ideas are not in the game because it is just 3 people working on the game itself and 2 of them could still be considered "new". i have the feeling starmade grew a bit too fast s community demand kinda grows over their heads ; )
    Not necessarily a bad thing, it just means that the team is on a good way. We just need to make sure that all the good ideas do not get lost. So when the time comes for a fixing round the schine team could find everything we have in here easily.
    And well yeah they have to prioritize stuff to somewhat get closer to the vision robin has for the game so they probably willn ot listen to us for a while when it comes to implementing new features. what kind of bugs me though is that it feels like a bit trial and error... let's just implement something and then let's see how it works out... oh well...