Countering the Death Cube

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Greetings all,

I've been playing on a server for a while and there seems to be a problem with 'death cubes' . These are perfectly cubic ships that seem to have the best edge in combat.

I am curious as to how you all deal with them. These can be server side 'rules' or player builds. I really want to see what ideas are out there.

Reaction score
    The only way I know of is a server rule of "no death cubes" then the admins use /destroy_entity on any that are found.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    its up to server admins to ban them,you cant just have a magical solution to death cubes,there will always be death cubes

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Starfleet.

But seriously; Death cubes are notoriously bad at turning. 3+ players attacking from multiple vectors can hold their own against a death cube. Unfortunately, you'll never be able to solo a cube. So make friends, and team up with them to take one down.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Solutions:
    1. Tell the person that doom cubes are lame and show just how bad at the game they are.
    2. Get an admin to destroy it.
    3. Use a ship that has more mass against them
    4. Team up on them
    5. Troll them with a tiny stop beam fighter until they ragequit

Reactions: jzimmerman4

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    this is evil you're evil

i like it
    That's the point >: D .

Tbh, I don't like being an ass. But when some player is going "hur hur hur, I ish killing everyone, I ish best" and is using a ?$%#&* doomcube it tends to get on my nerves.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    if someone makes a doomcube and i see it it will not exist anymore
    seriosly people if u want to make something with massive dps make a death ball! it looks better to the eye and isnt a shitty cube

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Build bigger doomcube.

Loljk, my suggestion was taken by Keptick.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Okay so you ban doom cubes - alright. Well now pyramids or some other ship design is the most efficient and those same people will just blow you up with those instead. There's always going to be a best ship design. Where does this line of thought end? That's like the rest of the world yelling at the United States because their jet is better in combat...it's supposed to be!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    people dont like doomcubes because they are an eye sore to look at and take 0 skill to make

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Personally i don't care about doom cubes, they can be countered with similar mass ships since the power regen will be better etc

however if you really hate them...

An algorithm could be done to have it so that a ship has to be x length in any direction and cannot be more than 0.5x in any other direction maybe i don't know

what the game will tell you
    *your ship will become too unstable if the dimensions are this big*

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Doom cubes exploit many mechanics in the game, because most of them are based on dimensions. Turning is probably the worst balanced value currently out there.

I one made a death ship with no smooth edges. I did, however, add a kind of interior, and I got really creative with the exits once. I made the central part out of ice crystals, and then made 3x3 doors in each side of the cube (the central part was a cube), and then I put something that looked like a table above each exit for protection. The end result was quite nice.
    Later versions had lots of black hardened hull, with a very bright interior and a periscope like structur on the one end, which basically was used to cover the entrance and the camera I needed for my salvage ship (it had quite good shielding and weapons too).

Conclusion: people should be allowed to create death cubes if they make an effort to have a nicely styled exterior or interior, or both of course.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Maybe if the turning speed was based on mass instead of dimensions, doom cubes would be less of an issue.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe if the turning speed was based on mass instead of dimensions, doom cubes would be less of an issue.
    heat seakers work just as well as other weopons. turning speed means nothing if u have them

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    One can only assume that missiles will get a turning rate nerf. They really should though.

Reaction score
    There's no atmosphere in space, so shouldn't it be mass based turning anyway? : P

I have honestly no idea how space physics work, but I know there would need to be thrusters on each of the axis to rotate the ship. I guess if a ship weren't as long, the thrusters would be closer to the center of gravity making it turn faster(or something). Anyway, that's all I know, correct me if I'm wrong. : D