Council of Intergalactic Representatives

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Well that's thoughtful. I gotta say though, there probably won't be a president. It's a council. Elected players will play equal roles in it.

I'm sure Raiben won't care to run. He gave up moderator. I can't speak for him though.

Not sure tomino will feel the need to run either.

Actually the only people on that list that I think would be willing to run is Drakkart, and maybe Saber. Keptick said he was going to I believe. I will too.

Plz don't blow up the moon.

Reactions: Criss
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    To you, maybe. To chat goers and forum regulars, the lack of Comr4de and MrFurb is disgraceful! It is also too much MF (Starside IS Saber, Dal and Raiben btw). This is also not that place for that.
    Listen cyper you just jelly because Vanhelzing is kawaii senpai !

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What should the application questions be?
    Age, Highest level of education, amount of free time available each week to dedicate to council work. Other specific questions used to gauge the applicants opinion of the dev team, of the playerbase, of certain ideas, and of other similar games.

How many councillors should there be?
    13 councillors would be good, not too many, not too few. I would say 12, but 13 allows someone to hold the balance of power. One of these councillors should hold a position of "Arbiter", which is voted for by the council members themselves, who aims to be a kind of "chairman" of the council. The Arbiter is tasked mainly with resolving disputes within the council, and can be changed at any time by greater concensus of the council.

What other functions (if any) should councillors perform?
    Submit formal reports to the devs on priority features, e.g. what would improve the quality of the game, as well as sticking power for those who wish to play solo or on a server.

Requirements for applying?
    Never have been banned from forums or chat, and have fewer than (x) kicks form chat. Understanding of other perspectives and a good ability to look beyond their own bias. A respect for all players, and most importantly an unwavering respect for the dev team.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yikes, I already see a popularity contest forming. Please, no.

I guess I'll submit my application and hope for the best :/

Or hire a campaign manager.....that might be smart. XD

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    That should be up to you if you feel qualified to or not
    Maybe, maybe not, but we'll let the community decide. Where should I put it though? It seems that it should go in the Offtopic section. Or maybe I will see how the Council tab goes when applications open. I'll wait and see what happens.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Maybe, maybe not, but we'll let the community decide. Where should I put it though? It seems that it should go in the Offtopic section. Or maybe I will see how the Council tab goes when applications open. I'll wait and see what happens.
    Meh. They haven't got it sorted yet. I would wait till we can apply. There will be time between then and the vote.

Reactions: koksvik
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    hmmm you have no content, only 170 messages and 100 ratings, with a valid enough reason and ideas you could but you gotta work hard for it !

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    hmmm you have no content, only 170 messages and 100 ratings, with a valid enough reason and ideas you could but you gotta work hard for it !
    I think you'll find it comes down to alot more than number of messages, content, and ratings. It'll be more about reputations, and what people agree or disagree with.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    What matters is not the quantity, but the quality of posts. If you make a few threads, but everyone raves and agrees, it matter a whole lot more than hundreds of posts of low value.

On a unrelated note, people who run should link a few of their threads/content/posts. Not everyone on the forums know each other, and a few examples might help the fresh players get a more informed opinion, if they are interested anyways.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I think you need to check your attitude a little. If someone is interested in running, let them. The community will decide with their vote.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Oh one question, will the moderators be in the Council by default?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Its not even about agreeing with people or have them agree with you. Its about relaying ideas and concerns to the community. Good or bad idea, this is so the devs can hear all that needs to be heard.

Reaction score
    If I may give some advise to those discussing this and considering how it should work and may impact the forum.

Do not think of the council as a ruling body, they wont be. They will be councilors to you and to Schine. They will serve as a conduit of YOUR ideas and concerns and Schines responses and solutions.

I won't tell you how to vote, but I would heavily advise not voting for players based on Ideas that they support or propose, as Schine will likely go through that list and approve/reject/alreadyinprogressconfirm* those within week. Most of you are already aware of this, that a vast majority of ideas are already on the table. Instead, I'd humbly advise you to vote (and run) based on how well a candidate interacts with others, their frequency of activity, their capacity to properly discuss past, current and future game content. These council members will not be dictating how the game develops, they will be communicating between you the community and the Schine team all the things that are important to the game.

Also for those considering running keep in mind that this IS a 6 month position, and it will be one that asks you to dedicate a good deal of spare time to communicating not only with players on the forum, but on steam, in game on various servers (not that you'd be expected to go on every server, but as a whole there should be a good spread) on social media and anywhere else you may encounter a Starmade player even if its just the annoying kid next door.

Also, if at some point during that six months a council member finds they are no longer able to continue that role, for lack of time, interest or any other reason, they may of course step down, at which point we would probably hold a quick vote in the community to elect a new member to that vacant spot (this is something Duke or Bench would need to confirm and fill in any details on.) I'm not sure whether that interrem councilor would serve a remainder of the 6 months, or their own full term 6 months (I'm not against either system honestly, again this will be up to Duke and Bench.)

I hope this helps put the role of the soon to be councilors into perspective!

Reactions: Crimson-Artist
    Reaction score
    I thought this would happen at some point, especially as this game's devs is so in touch with its community

This is a really good idea IMO, and I wish all potential candidates good luck! Especially the ones I'll vote for...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think you need to check your attitude a little. If someone is interested in running, let them. The community will decide with their vote.
    and i think you need a pair of new glass, because you obviously can't read, i said
    " with a valid enough reason and ideas you could "
    do you even know what a council ?
    what you think this is some kind of popularity contest ? no buddy this is a council, anybody can get in if they have good enough ideas and can manage to work as a link between the community and the devs, which i can tell you ain't easy, as a matter of fact its takes both time and reasoning !

the reason why i said that he had no content and few msg/rating, is because of course the longer you been on this forum the more you know of it and the more you know of how the community works and what is likes, WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!

YOU need an attitude change ! i was simply trying to help the guy, stop being a bigot about it !
    [DOUBLEPOST=1425130441,1425129795][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think you'll find it comes down to alot more than number of messages, content, and ratings. It'll be more about reputations, and what people agree or disagree with.
    shouldn't you say the longer you been here and the more active you been the more you know what the community wants and
    "what people agree or disagree with" hmm ?
    and the reason why i said content and rating/msg is because obvious the people who the community knows and like has a LOOOT higher chance of winning then somebody who nobody really knows who is, the council must be someone we can trust and know will work as a link between us and the devs.

that is the way a council works !
    [DOUBLEPOST=1425131448][/DOUBLEPOST]
    What matters is not the quantity, but the quality of posts. If you make a few threads, but everyone raves and agrees, it matter a whole lot more than hundreds of posts of low value.

On a unrelated note, people who run should link a few of their threads/content/posts. Not everyone on the forums know each other, and a few examples might help the fresh players get a more informed opinion, if they are interested anyways.

well the more you do of something the better you become at it ! someone who has been a lot more active and a bigger part of the community has of course a lot higher chance of winning, because people know them and like them and know they can trust them ! that is why i said that he could of course be a council member but it would be hard work because there is other people here who has been a lot more active part of the community and who people knows.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    koksvik you seem to be forgetting something important.
    We have a chat. There are discussions there as well.
    Numbers mean nothing, they are just a vague guide for those who do not know. Post count (so long as it is above the minimum), threads started, content uploaded (which I believe to be not important in the slightest) and even age are the tools of fools.

The more you do of something, the better you get? Not always true, because you don't know about what they did before. You make it sounds like Star and Thad would be excellent candidates, because they have many posts and simply must know what's going on. Someone with 50 posts may have a background in dozens of forums with political or moderator-al powers, and someone with 1000s of posts might just be a spammer.

But yeah, vote for whoever you want, but don't try to apply your logic to everyone else. Well known is not the same as well respected, nor does it mean they represent popular opinion.