Copy/Paste

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    In advanced build mode, it would be great if we could get a basic selection feature where we can move segments of blocks, copy them, cut them, and paste them.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    ehh. depending on implementation it could be good or bad.

if we could save up to 10x10x10 \"parts\" in a a \"parts blueprint\" that\'s client-side, that would be very nice. including if the 10x10x10 selection could be reoriented the same way as regular blocks. it would basically just be a built in 3-axis orientable block-placing macro that extends to the same dimensions as the max advanced build size. it would make placing logos for ship companies easy, as well as make mechanical patterns more enjoyable to place on ships. it MIGHT need a rework of the orientation system for block placement and might be laggy since it will have to calculate the block orientation of a lot of the pieces, but would be a very nice feature to have. hopefully being alble to rotate the \"part\" in any orientation instead of cycling through orientations would be nice since parts will generally have a directionality if they aren\'t rotationally symmetrical.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    http://star-made.org/content/copy-and-paste-feature from http://star-made.org/search/node/copy+paste

TheImperialDonut

Send PM

Probably not going to happen I\'m afraid.

Not exactly a brandnew idea, fas as I know Schema considered it a long time ago, but decided against it.

Giving players too many tools to build would be detriment to the game he believed, and I agree. Giving players a copy/paste tool would impact creativity of ship builds, degrading ship building into 5minute copy/paste fests.

I agree with that.

My response:

+1, Support

If schema decides so, I think there\'s going to be a new game then - sometimes.

Or it will be outrun by Space Engineers.

I will continue to copy paste with mirrow modes and ... well, time!?

If someone decides to make a Java editor with a lot more tools (convert for blender and back for example). What, will schema do? Change the format every time and cause migration-bugs or switch to obfusicated formats?

What if I capture the screen and make a blueprint in an older version - or if the community just sticks to an older game version where this advanced-advanced build tool works?

Even if the tool get banned (and the developer too), nothing can be banned from the internet once released and approved by majority!

Will it be the easy or the hard way we go?

Some things that would were a lot easier with copy/paste. Not that it hurts creativity to be able to copy+paste a 2x2x2 field of wedges for stairs or a 7x6 hallway:

http://imgur.com/a/RCRIy#4

I have a 50m long hallway and why should I place every wedge and corner again and again and again and again...

5x5x5 for copy/paste is fine and - I think - required. 10x10x10 maybe not that good, because it promotes it too much.

And if it would only be possible with 1 hull color and something else, fine too.

If I have to spend 10 minutes rotating wedges to he position I want them, I forget about all my awesome ideas focusing on such a dumb thing.

Would it kill the game if peoples don\'t waste their time on wedges?

--------------------------------

I think 2x2x2 copy+paste is

I think 2x2x2 copy+paste is the minimum. Because of checkerboard style for wedge-ramps-

An undo ability should also be given.

Should it not be a choice for server-admins which want to forbit uploads? I mean because of smedit...

Finally, creativity also means, that if you wanna have -for example- a \"WAAARGH BANNA\" for WH40k-Orks, you have to know what and where to copy+paste too.

And then a lot of +1

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don\'t think we need so much copy/paste. Placing wedges on hallways does not take much time, even using different colors as right now dev build remembers orientation of wedge when changing to different block color (correct me if i\'m wrong). Also builidng faction logos for sure isn\'t the most time consuming part of making ships, especially if you\'ve made a few of them before and have some experience in it.

It\'s not that i\'m against it, i just don\'t find a good reason for it to be implemented and so far i\'m pretty satisfied with our advanced building mode.

Reaction score
    I would support a copy/pasta feature. I loath having to remake the same thing over and over again. I personally would never devolve ship building into copy/pasta, but for the parts that do repeat, it would be nice to have some way to speed things up. I actually don\'t build big ships because i dont want to have to do the same section of detail 10-15 times. I keep ships small because I dont want to spend forever on such crap.

Further, my ships follow a specific theme, which is tiresom to reproduce each and every time. I really dont see how this feature would dampen creativity. For me, it would promote it because i could make my ships faster and help realize my ideals into actual ships for once. My designs call for details that the advanced build mode can NOT replicate, so i have to settle for at best the semetry planes, but still have to do the work block by block.