Copy and Paste feature

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    *Man, I am on a roll to day with the fourms.*

There should be a menu for copying and pasting blocks...

lets say you have a giant ship, but your to lazy to keep remaking ALL the rooms exactly the same. well you just pull up your copy and paste menu place selection blocks(or something else) the two ends of the box, and hit copy. When you want to make another room you open up your menu and a wireframe or preview of the structure will pop up where your cursor is and you just click and if you have all the blocks or money on you it will paste a copy of that room. This would make ship building a lot easier.

Reaction score
    give me give me give me!!!!!!! i could make a powerfull genorater and BAM place a bunch of them and i dont have to spend 60% of the time building reactors!!!!! +9000

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    Not exactly a brandnew idea, fas as I know Schema considered it a long time ago, but decided against it.

Giving players too many tools to build would be detriment to the game he believed, and I agree. Giving players a copy/paste tool would impact creativity of ship builds, degrading ship building into 5minute copy/paste fests.

I agree with that.

Reaction score
    -people downloading copies of other people\'s ships and pasting them into our own universes, killing creativity completely for some people?

No one who is serious about building actually believes that having a copy paste feature would actually hurt the way they build ships. It would just make the repetition of complex designs much easier. Artists need tools!

On another note - I posted about advanced build mode changes a while back, which covered this topic and some others:

http://star-made.org/content/advancing-advanced-build-mode

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    I am pretty serious about building, and I do believe in not adding too many tools, copy/paste would make my repeat more features than I would prefer, as opposed to handbuilding it all and adding those little variations you wouldn\'t otherwise find.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If schema decides so, I think there\'s going to be a new game then - sometimes.

Or it will be outrun by Space Engineers.

I will continue to copy paste with mirrow modes and ... well, time!?

If someone decides to make a Java editor with a lot more tools (convert for blender and back for example). What, will schema do? Change the format every time and cause migration-bugs or switch to obfusicated formats?

What if I capture the screen and make a blueprint in an older version - or if the community just sticks to an older game version where this advanced-advanced build tool works?

Even if the tool get banned (and the developer too), nothing can be banned from the internet once released and approved by majority!

Will it be the easy or the hard way we go?

Some things that would were a lot easier with copy/paste. Not that it hurts creativity to be able to copy+paste a 2x2x2 field of wedges for stairs or a 7x6 hallway:

http://imgur.com/a/RCRIy#4

I have a 50m long hallway and why should I place every wedge and corner again and again and again and again...

5x5x5 for copy/paste is fine and - I think - required. 10x10x10 maybe not that good, because it promotes it too much.

And if it would only be possible with 1 hull color and something else, fine too.

If I have to spend 10 minutes rotating wedges to he position I want them, I forget about all my awesome ideas focusing on such a dumb thing.

Would it kill the game if peoples don\'t waste their time on wedges?

Reaction score
    While that makes sense, the flip side is that people make such large ships, even with 10x10x10 brush, it still takes forever to make a ship\'s hull or anything else that requires large amounts of repeated detail.

How are we expected to have fun building a 1000m long ship if we have to hand make the same part 5, 10 times because the best we have is a square brush to work with? The simple fact is the current brush mechanic is clunky and we need more control. A copy/pasta option would improve building speed IMHO, which is what people want.

Reaction score
    Mixed feelings about that.

Someone mentioned something about 3-minute-titans. No good. Ultimatively big ships should really consume time to construct and we already have mirroring axis and SMEdit.

I\'d rather support a cut and move funktion, that lets you define an area with the present xyz size sliders, activate the to be implemented cut-and-move-checkerbox, place your box, rightclick to cut and leftclick to paste a SINGLE time. This would help a bit in optimizing ship layouts, but won\'t make a titan a 3 minute childs play.

Titan (I just mean BIG ships) contruction should be reserved to people with exceptional distinctive spatial perception (example: placing all blocks of the same type,color and alignment before going to the next color/shape/alignment, by mentally applying repetative mathematical patterns in the layout 10x10x10), construction ingenieuety (did I spell that one correct?) and not someone that just throws a million block on a pile and blazes the server. I\'d like to do that as well, but would be totally unfair to players that \"manufacture\" their titans \"with love\", polish them, and are really ressourceful in naming and furniturizing them or manually optimizing energy generation, that really munches time.

Reaction score
    Well it\'s actually possible to create the same room with the symmetry-tools. Sure you still can\'t build something 100 times at once but I\'m happy with this and I don\'t need more.

Also 100 exactly same rooms are just boring ;) Why should anyone want to do that ö.Ö

Reaction score
    Also 100 exactly same rooms are just boring ;) Why should anyone want to do that ö.Ö

Aye, Indeed

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think 2x2x2 copy+paste is the minimum. Because of checkerboard style for wedge-ramps-

An undo ability should also be given.

Should it not be a choice for server-admins which want to forbit uploads? I mean because of smedit...

Finally, creativity also means, that if you wanna have -for example- a \"WAAARGH BANNA\" for WH40k-Orks, you have to know what and where to copy+paste too.

Reaction score
    Personally I don\'t care much for copying and pasting very large structures, but a tool which can be used for repeating a certain pattern for trimming or details is another thing. If, for example, you want to design hallways in your ship which consist of repeating segments (like a hexagonal profile with pillars every 5 block lengths), such a copy/paste feature would be really handy. An area 5x5x5 could already do much.

--> Bumped +1 again.

PS wut if i do wan a 100 identicul roomz, u got proelbms with dat? :D

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    lets say you are making a HUGE flagship/capital ship and you want all the crew barracks to be the same... well copy and paste them!