Cool Effects - Explosions, Destruction, and immersion

Reaction score
    I know this has probably been mentioned before, but I want to add my two cents because I am really excited about StarMade and want to add my suggestions.

-Block Damage from weapons fire

Right now, blocks that take damage from AMCs just straight up disappear. I'm thinking when a ship has no shields and a block is destroyed, some colored particle effects come out of the damage. Nothing too much- just a touch of particle effects. I am sure there is a little already present but let's get particles related to the block being shot. Not only that, but perhaps have the block that was destroyed fade out instead of just *pop* out of existence. An additional effect could be have a chance that the block "detaches" from whatever was shot at, and sort of floats away for a little eventually disappearing. Perhaps have a "disappear texture" that it slowly fades into. Perhaps depending on how it was destroyed, it would have a different block destroying effect take place. I am thinking sort of how in Halo 4 if the player is hit by one of the particle weapons he sort of disintegrates.

-Explosions from missiles

Missiles are very cool right now and I love them. I think that explosions should be looked at however. The more powerful the missile, the longer, bigger, and more exaggerated the explosion should be. Also, blocks should take a similar effect as they do above but with more chance of blocks being "thrown" about. If the missile detonates within a planet, the blocks that get thrown about should be pulled by the gravity. I don't want the explosions to blind you of the cool block destruction- just something with taste. Since some are all about the "no fire in space" thing, that is fine. Maybe explosions should leave a sort of "pulse" looking effect. A wave of visible force that follows with block destruction/damage (the effect you want to see anyway)

- Ship Core Explosion

There already exists threads talking about this so it may be irrelevant- Core explosions. When a core is overheated and the countdown reaches 0, instead of the ship just disappearing it should be destroyed. Depending on the mass of the ship, it should explode larger or smaller. I'm not saying that this explosion should cause block damage to other things around it- that would maybe create "kamikaze" ships. Maybe just have a cool explosion effect, blocks flying around a bit, and some particles.

-Power drain effects

If a ship is out of power, I would love it if the lights in the ship would flicker. As of now, the lights are all self-powered. That's all good, but what if lights attached to ships would have a chance of shutting off for a few seconds. Maybe have some flicker. Not sure if this would work with ships with a ton of lights- it would turn into a disco if the power went low. Maybe have all the lights just shut off until power is restored, then turn back on in a few seconds. Not only that, but perhaps add sound effects to the ship being drained of power. Not have it so it can be spammed and annoying- maybe just a sound that can be triggered every 5-10 seconds at most. Just some immersion adding stuff.

-Sound Effects for weapons

Using pitch, you can vary the sound of AMCs. Higher pitch for smaller weapons, lower pitch for larger weapons. Perhaps even have two sound files- one large gun sound and one small gun sound. Have it transition between sounds depending on how powerful the AMC is. No huge change in the sound, but noticeable.

-Collision damage - scuffs

Right now you can ram your ship into another full speed and be fine. While I am not sure if this will remain (and I wouldn't mind) I do think that ships should get "scuffed" or marked for this behavior. Not only would it make repair ships more relevant, it would be more immersive. I am imagining a huge "car wash" ship with repair beams now... :P

-Lights

While lighting in a game like this can be a real pain, perhaps we could add some different lighting options. I doubt it as this seems to be one of those resource hogs and difficult to program tasks, but perhaps we could have spot lights. It would be cool to have a lit up landing pad or something. Not sure, but lighting is always an area of interest. Maybe add a few other lights that are programmable. Pulsing, flashing, and fading lights would be very cool. Also add light switches for good measure. Just make it work like the link system does for weapon.

I am sure I have more ideas and I am also sure that my ideas are not unique to me. If you have comments on my ideas please let me know. I am interested to see if anyone has similar ideas and maybe even better ideas or reasons why my ideas suck. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I particularly like the light flickering one. Lights don\'t need power, but it would be a cool effect if they all went out for a second or two every once in a while when under fire, or when a power block is blown up and the system \"resets.\"

Reaction score
    Actually, getting hit and having different effects onboard the ship would be cool. Maybe any lights around the area of attack flicker. Could look cool.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you didn\'t start this thread I would have. I love your ideas. I had some of the same, but didn\'t think about some of the ones you did. Just two things to add to your list: plex door (whoosh) and plex lift (hum) sounds and an energy-crackle effect on a ship with an overloading core (before final explosion.)
    An idea I\'d love to see considered is a remote drone. A remote cockpit you can install in a fighter or other ship that you cycle to like any other cockipt, but on another ship.

Reaction score
    I love your idea for the energy crackle effect. It would add to the \"core explosion\" awesomeness. Also, I think that there should be a sound mute before the core explosion. For example, it for larger ships (with a certain block count or higher) since the explosions are bigger they could be made more significant by adding that sound \"mute\" before the explosion. Maybe not a mute, but a volume dip. That way it\'s like Core overheating - reaches 0 - sound dim - explosion sound and effect. It would add to the awesome. You don\'t have to make it a complete mute or even a huge dip of volume- just something noticeable to add attention to detail.