Convert Cloakers and Jammers to Effects

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In keeping with the effect systems we are all learning to love, I believe cloakers and jammers should be re-done in the same style.

Basically, just like with the current secondary effects which effect modules provide, you would need a certain amount of cloakers or jammers to provide the full effect dependent on the mass of your ship PLUS the additional power requirement. This would potentially reduce the crippling effects of power drain on the current cloakers and jammers without making anybody able to permacloak their capital ships.

And that also means they could give weapons secondary effects, such as rendering your projectiles invisible for cloakers or disrupting your targets radar/navigation on impact for jammers.

Edit, necroing because this idea is made even more relevant by additions made to the game since last year. I would also venture to add that shield and power beams should also be made into effects. Because if I want to add power to my allies by shooting a beam lockon missile from 2 sectors away, I should be able to, damnit. And if I want to drain my enemies shield using a shotgun cannon, that should be MY choice.

Also, since the addition of point defense AI, something could probably be done with either cloaking or jamming missiles so they are harder to hit/targettable at a shorter range.

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    In keeping with the effect systems we are all learning to love, I believe cloakers and jammers should be re-done in the same style.

Basically, just like with the current secondary effects which effect modules provide, you would need a certain amount of cloakers or jammers to provide the full effect dependent on the mass of your ship PLUS the additional power requirement. This would potentially reduce the crippling effects of power drain on the current cloakers and jammers without making anybody able to permacloak their capital ships.

And that also means they could give weapons secondary effects, such as rendering your projectiles invisible for cloakers or disrupting your targets radar/navigation on impact for jammers.
    This is actually a brilliant idea. I'm down for this. I will pretty much never use cloakers or jammers because of the power cost and the number needed. But I think if the cloaker had a hard cap that had to be reached, like that 10% or higher, then it would be viable.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think this is a good idea. I think that jammers offensive ability should be that missiles need to be much closer for turrets to notice and fire on them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    What about the offensive effect making the ship or beacon invisible while firing while the defensive effect makes the ship or beacon invisible while you are not firing.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What about the offensive effect making the ship or beacon invisible while firing while the defensive effect makes the ship or beacon invisible while you are not firing.
    All other offensives affect other entities.
    Maybe offensive for invisible shots? or for cloaking allies?
    ----

I like the OP's idea and have to agree!

Right now if we use too much power it is not used by anybody and ships look ugly. If we use too few power for these it is OP.
    Requiring a certain % of mass in those blocks and a certain power production % will make it easier to balance (2 things with which we can balance)
    Requiring more than one block will also make you lose more in case you die, thus you may not throw pure OPness fighter spam against your enemy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    All other offensives affect other entities.
    ----

I like the OP's idea and have to agree!

Right now if we use too much power it is not used by anybody and ships look ugly. If we use too few power for these it is OP.
    Requiring a certain % of mass in those blocks and a certain power production % will make it easier to balance (2 things with which we can balance)
    Requiring more than one block will also make you lose more in case you die, thus you may not throw pure OPness fighter spam against your enemy.
    I get your point but whats the point of invisible projectiles? I feel like it is pretty pointless for anything but missiles and I doubt invisible lasers would be used that often due to the fact you cant really dodge them in the first place.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    One ship cloaking another? Thats a bit OP. Even with high power demands, cloaking should be a system that needs to be placed in the structure that will end up using it. Invisible shots sounds boring and honestly potentially aggravating. Doesn't add anything to gameplay really.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I suggest offensive invisibility effect on pulse weapons make them not doing any damage but decloaking enemies in a larger radius - like a scanner pulse!

Likewise a offensive jamer pulse is a radar.

Offensive invisible missiles/jamer missiles could start tracking only close targets when they come in sensor range, otherwise act as dumb missiles.

Offensive beams and cannons may increase your sensor strength at this side.
    Beams may cover 90°, cannons 10° but go further?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm sure that their is a whole slew of possible options for a secondary cloaker/jammer effect out there, good suggestions you guys. If Herr Schemer sees this I'm sure it would be considered.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe the cloaker offensive should be makes the screen of the player flash, while jammer offensive should be disable AI temporarily and disable the HUD for a moment.
    These effects would be hard to get consistaintly. You would need about 20% of the mass of the ship you are targeting with full effect to get a 10% chance to flashbang them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    that's a good idea, i'm not fan of the actual system you can't really do good looking ships with it (paradoxal for an invisible ship).

For the offensive effect something like reducing turret accuracy could be an effect or jamming sensor capability

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I love the idea of building a ship to fire a single invisible 10 million damage missile.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm neco-ing this post because with the addition of jump drives and jump inhibitors, I think the effect system could really use an overhaul, now more than ever.

I'm including the shield drain and power transfer beam in this list too, because I think those would fit with the game far better as secondary effects or defensive bonuses than they do as individual systems.