Contest suggestion: planets and Planetary segments

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The recent default base contest inspired some truly stunning work.
    Why not draw on the same creative pool for planetary structures? My first thought was to call it a "city contest" but why limit it? Bases, mining facilities, farms, trade-worlds, hostile alien death traps, manicured garden worlds, temples to the evil cult of Zarnagoo'ool the naughty?

This could have two classes: pentagonal plates, and entire planets. thoughts?

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    The recent default base contest inspired some truly stunning work.
    Why not draw on the same creative pool for planetary structures? My first thought was to call it a "city contest" but why limit it? Bases, mining facilities, farms, trade-worlds, hostile alien death traps, manicured garden worlds, temples to the evil cult of Zarnagoo'ool the naughty?

This could have two classes: pentagonal plates, and entire planets. thoughts?
    yes yes yes aNd hell yes!!! great idea,i must say ..that this is even more exciting for me than stations,i can get more creative and free,ahhh

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    there is a problem the planets are a bit laggy and cause problems. near structures on the planet would fit nice with the stations and the universe regeneration

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    we should have this as soon as the terrain overhaul comes out, because if we design planet segments now, then they will have lots of the old biomes/blocks

Reaction score
    Planets currently vary in size, here's the section in server.cfg associated with them:

PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 175.0 //Planet size mean (normal gaussian distribution) (min 50)
    PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 100.0 //Planet size standard deviation (normal gaussian distribution) (min 0)

I don't think these values directly translate into a normal distribution, (unless the minimum is not just for mean), as I haven't seen any 10m diameter planets, although I haven't visited enough of them to be sure.

The variation means that the segment you build on is not going to be usable on 99% of the planets in the game.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Planets currently vary in size...
    The variation means that the segment you build on is not going to be usable on 99% of the planets in the game.
    Depends on the size of the build segment. I'm reasonably confident that Schema has a routine in place already to exclude X size pregen structures from planets with plates smaller than X. So a titanic plate would be excluded from most worlds. A tiny farm-house might generate on any but the smallest.

For best results the edge of your pentagonal plate should be less than Dameter/2.8 or 62M on the flat side in order to fit on at least half of the planets.

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I think schema said the stations contest was a test for future contests. I have no doubt we will be seeing new contests in the future.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Some structures need to be linked to each other.

Farms linked to fields and wind-mills
    High-tech refineries to orbital lifts or landing platforms for shuttles

Structures which belong together should spawn together.
    Maybe parts from different people's submissions could merge into one structure (farm+windmill or refinery+lift/platform), for peoples who want to focus more on details and less on size.

Reaction score
    Some structures need to be linked to each other.

Farms linked to fields and wind-mills
    High-tech refineries to orbital lifts or landing platforms for shuttles

Structures which belong together should spawn together.
    Maybe parts from different people's submissions could merge into one structure (farm+windmill or refinery+lift/platform), for peoples who want to focus more on details and less on size.
    Yeah, also like a military base planet side and a few MAC gun stations in orbit :D woupdidoopidoo!