Consumables! yes, even the alcoholic kind!

Reaction score
    Before I begin, I would like to note this is not just an idea about fuel so please no negativity on my thread. Solutions and Ideas only! Secondly, I realize nobody likes reading a book on a game site so I will try my best to keep this short and concise. Lastly, if you like the idea and points pump out a like and get this thread recognized.

So far the activity in the servers are starting to dwindle again, if you are in a state of denial or argumentative, I have pictures of server activity from the day of steam release to now, granted these are only on my timezone which is Eastern Standard Time in America. This being said we are the timezone that reaches midnight before the rest of America so this stat can be plausible based around that.
    The reason I have gained from most people questioned as to inactivity is due to the lack of depth in the game, now don't get me wrong Schine is doing a good job pumping out updates to bring depth to the crafting system. However, the sheer creative style game-play leaves others wanting for tales of lore and extravagant situations lacking. Thus, trading is almost not existent as it is too easy to create a planet eater and hover above a planet without worry of oxygen, food, fuel, medicine, etc. This throws a wrench in things as far as making player-run economy. Since no-one has a need to involve a logistics faction or mining faction simply since they can create checkerboards of salvagers and go on a mining trip for hours without ever having to return to base. So.....onto suggestions!

Suggestions:

1. Make 2 separate game types or server configs to tend to the needs of different style players. Survival and Creative like many voxel games this caters to both sides of the human entertainment without seeking another game
    2. Create consumables much like normal people in-space would need I.E Food, Water, Oxygen. Make these craft-able from resources already in-game utilizing the factory system as water bottles are made in real life.
    3. Create different fuel sources for stations,ships, planet outpost. If you need ideas of what fuel sources there are tons of threads on this and I will not beat a dead horse.
    4. Make systems such as weaponry, support, effects utilize energy resources on a scale level. Realize that this does not get rid of Titans/Capitals it only makes them more costly to operate as they should be and prevents overbearing titan battles on servers giving other class ships room to breath. (I'm pro big ships I put hard work into my 1 Million Mass Ship as well)
    5. Make jump drives use specific types of crystals or resources in order to jump so that we cannot endlessly venture with no repercussions or planning.
    6. MAKE SPACE GIN IN THE GAME! Make it give buffing powers to the player or something so that these bars aren't going to waste like the one in the starmade video. Let's end this prohibition!
    OUTCOMES:
    1. Making 2 separate game types or server configs allows those who wish to have a build server or a PVP server complete control over resource usage without backlash from game mechanics. In essence it allows for a more diverse group to be entertained without being at each others throats on why something shouldn't be implemented.
    2. Consumables will cause people to plan their trips, conduct trade, and actually have a need to stockpile resources other than ores to make blocks. Right now I'm currently sitting on billions of ores and shards in Elwyn with nothing to do but build a bigger ship and fly around gloating (It's bad I know)
    3. These fuel systems as many have previously mentioned will cause invasion fleets to need support ships or stockpile for an invasion/mining operation. This gives a kickback for the constant need to obtain another resources for when you go to get ores to make things you will then need another operation to regain fuel resources further advancing depth of play. NOTE: Stations should also require fuel to power the factories and life support systems inside thus creating a never ending goal in gameplay.
    4. I'm not saying change weapons to make ammo counts as this is the future most weapons are energy based. What I am proposing is to make these systems put a TINY bit more strain on power thus using a little more of your energy/fuel sources. A big ship should use more energy when it's firing a large class weapon much as our ships in real life where the power fluctuates with the use of different systems. This requires strategic planning of ships rather than throwing a cluster of blocks together wrapping it in hull and killing everyone.
    5. Lets face it....Jump Drives are way OP as they can just be massively put down in 50 x 50 clusters and create a ship capable of jumping millions of Kilometers in mere minutes. (Yes this is on elwyn which I realize this is a server config) However it renders warpgates completely useless and is illogical in the fact that it a jump drive uses a crap-ton of power and with the way power is now massive chunks of reactors can be placed to combat this.
    6. Self explanatory
    Conclusion:

Yes there are more pressing issues that need attention in starmade, however the players make starmade and if the players move on due to the fact we are not offering choices to them in their play style the community can die off. With no-one to fight and no constant goal to work for other than power and bigger ships people will find solace in another game. I surely do not want to see this as StarMade is an innovator and has gone some where others haven't....Space. I ask that you only post suggestions or additions to suggestions.

Calbiri schema would this be a hard thing to implement? is this something you would like to see in the game in the near future?

NOTE: Yes I am aware of another post on consumables however he only mentions ammo so I figured a more organized post on the matter might be in order regarding ALL consumables whatever the magic cat decides those consumables should be :p

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am not a fan of fuel sources.

especially since flag ships will have factories in the future. So the whole resupply thing gets mooted right there. Than there is all the effort that goes into building the invasion fleets. Those ships are like 6 hours of resource gathering, so a lot is lost from that.

But all of these are multiplayer issues, and i do not play muitplayer(you do not want me to either, as i was a huge minecraft griefer, and i have invented a perma cloaked/jammer ship that is covered in disintgrater blocks that i cloak and park in very inconvenient places)

i do like the food, water, and oxygen aspects though. It would also provide a use for the space plants, and add more trade goods.

As for jump drives, i feel that they are very necessary. the game map is friggen huge. HUGE!!!! i also feel that the warp gates are not finished. I hope that they will be a means to teleport between bases. while this may sound op at first, keep in mind that managing 3 different bases in single player is not going to be easy by yourself.

I think people need to hold off on the whole fuel suggestion until they see what all will be implemented. Once they get planet shapes to where they like them, i would like to see gas giants, and planets with rings.

I personally, want to see better, but more expensive and higher tiered power blocks.

Reaction score
    It's a much different experience on multiplayer, most if not all of the suggestions on these forums are from people playing the multiplayer world. Everything is so persistent and currently pointless. Sure you can mine all day and build a bigger ship....but the only resources you spend is those used to build the ship. Once that ship is done what is left to do....Mine and Grind. Fuel would not only add cohesion to factions but a real time resource needed to run everything from the basic factory to turret defenses. In essence you would need to be active not just sit on a stockpile of big ships and hop on when you feel necessary to kill someone.

Reaction score
    The main thing I like about this suggestion is the suggestion to be configurable. Most posts about this or other suggestions that are major game changers are people want it implemented without the thought of people who don't. Then there are arguments about why it should or should not be there. Anything presented as a configurable gets a vote from me. Plus I like the Survival aspects of the game and want more.

Good stuff.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Finally something to go in my modeled RP galley. I'm for it.

Reaction score
    Of course! Everyone should be have a choice of their play style. What makes the game is the players and ultimately that's what MMO's have been missing. It's always go here grind this always get the next best technology, what it's missing is that the players make the story. That your character should reflect your actions! From smuggling alcoholic drinks in a prohibition galaxy, or hunting a bounty across the universe. That's what makes a MMORPG. StarMade needs to keep this freedom for the players and so far it has done just that in allowing the configuration/blocks to be completely customize-able. Players now more than ever have created their own stories in the game as strict military factions, mining companies, and space truckers. Now we just need to give them things that must be made, are useable, and do not automatically replenish. This will add the lore and role-play of these space truckers or Space Bars.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Seems like a nice idea though i'm not sure if it will be taken well by everybody due to the obvious increased difficulty to survive and expand quickly

Reaction score
    That is why it would be a server config option where you're able to turn off the need for these consumables

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Seems like a nice idea though i'm not sure if it will be taken well by everybody due to the obvious increased difficulty to survive and expand quickly
    True but it will give people reasons to do things?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Instead of fuel, we could separate the reactor system.
    Shield caps and rechargers.

Fuel caps and rechargers
    -> if your recharge is big enough, you don't have to worry about it,
    -> but maybe your ship fails to compete with optimized ones at certain tasks.

I would like much more a capital which sends out specialized hangar-ships for certain tasks than I-can-do-everything-boring-doomcubes.
    If fuel is the way to archive this, lets be it.

I'd like information be the primary trade good (as long as it concerns credits).

* Who wants to see the latest movie?
    * Know what is around?
    * Which star is going to explode next (and crate electromagnetic interferences...)?
    * Where will temporal wormholes appear or disappear (how stable are they)?

If you spend time accessing information, you should be rewarded with others (or credits as a trade good between giving and accessing information)

Reaction score
    I'm not sure that would help as we already have reactors and capacitors it would only make ships 10x larger. Fuel still has to be input into the reactor so just adding another block would not achieve the idea

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Maybe add a poll to this thread? It would help to see the majority of yes/no's