Construction drones

Reaction score
    Hay there i have a really cool idea for ship construction that has to do with drones and blue prints so i noticed a few suggestions of a construction yard that slowly builds ships save in a catalog or something like that anyway so what i was thinking was instead of a a large hollow cylinder with a ship slowly appearing out of no where you could instead have a large hollow cylinder with drones that are flying around building the ship layer by layer how it would work is of course you can make your own drones but you land them on a Drone Construction dock and then you can designate a area and select a ship in your catalog to build then the ship pops up in a kind of holographic see through state and the drones start using a special lazer that slowly places blocks and moves on the more drones you have the faster it will finish and the more blocks of the lazer tool on the drone the faster they place blocks and they build up on the y axis layer by layer they get the blocks from an inventory somewhere on the mother ship or space station

thanks for reading comment on what you think yes or no :)

generalBLT13

Scary grrrrr
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Purchased!
    Could be good if you had plenty of time, if they were to add it they should have a setting for it or not. Say your I single player you want to continue your ship, and wham have to wait an hour for it to be built. But in Multiplayer definitely, you can\'t just buy a ship and go straight back into battle you have to have ships built. This way you could force your enemy back to there home base. And cripple there fleet.

Reaction score
    i also imagine this will take a lot of time to put in and will be one of the later development if it gets in at all but this would be a nice addition

Reaction score
    to have drones construct a ship without the need of a ship factory. but at a penalty to take much longer than what a ship factory can do and possibly limit some options as well

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Any ship/turret equiped with an AI module should be able to act as automated repair drones or construction drones. These could be an important compnent in shipyards themselves. The shipyard isn\'t what actually builds the ships but all the astro turrets and construction bots around it, the shipyard would just define the max size of the ships that can be built/repaired there.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Somewhere you have to make your blueprints, without having to wait for the drones to make it for you.

Inside the holo-deck, under most circumstances the server does not even need to know what you are doing exactly. It does not exist except in your mind/data-storage.

Maybe it could not only stores the blueprint, but also the order in which things are added -> for the drones.

And allow advanced build commands which are not available for harvesting (such as spaced out repeated patterns, hide specific blocks, etc)

With some public interface to control the AI it could be possible to add you own tools.

Reaction score
    i like the idea of you can make a ship without the ship yard it just take a lot longer to make it with the drones also i don understand the holo deck comment but it could be nice a place to store blueprints and use it as something to que up the ships you want build by the drones if thats what it means

also with the thing about the drones not needing a ship yard could also make it so you can save space station blueprints and build those to though of course they will need a mother ship or a construction platform so they can get the blocks for and inventory

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So basicallly it would be a client-only editing tool that you could use to desgin ships, you mean?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The holodeck is client-only, yes. It has undo (at least 1-2 times), cause less lagg etc... But instead of uploading an existing one you have to be online while using it.

Also you would see in which order drones would build your ship.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Almost everyone knows buildcraft. If u do then u probably used the builder and filler to make complex builds rather simple. U could make a blueprint then transfer it to the builder, and if u supply it with the blocks and a ton of power it would make the ship

Reaction score
    now with the builder the blocks just appears as it builds with the drones you have something flying around and placing blocks with a repair tool or whatever it is also with drones you have to build them you don\'t just place a block and BAM instant ship production as long as you have blocks its boring

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    At least in the holodeck, you should be able to place blocks instantly.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Do you not know StarTrek Enterprice/Voyager/DeepSpace9? They can create an illusion of reality in their Holo-Deck (Holo means Holographic), but the security code makes the peoples inside immune to damage.

I don\'t want to edit my blueprint and wait for 1000 blocks to finish before I see what I have done.