Config options: Planet and Asteroid ore density & asteroid size

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would like to see three options added to the configs.
    1. Asteroid size - I'm not sure why this isn't in there already. EDIT: by this I mean a rough average size as asteroid size should be rather random.
    2. Planet ore density - Some people don't like planet mining, some do, and some servers can't take the abuse. We need to be able to control this.
    3. Asteroid ore density - More tweaking of the server's economy. If you don't like planet mining, another way to discourage it is to make asteroid mining more lucrative. If you're running a super hardcore server, you could make all ore rare to make ships difficult to obtain.
    I think these are tools that should be placed in the hands of server operators, and soon. All servers are different, so one across-the-board solution might be a long way and a really good idea away right now. These options will make a real difference right now.

EDIT: several people are asking for the ability to change the sorts of planets that spawn, such as making them into giant asteroids or using the old cookie planets. This might be a good place to throw in the failed sphere planet concept for chuckles.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This would be a much more effective way of discouraging/encouraging certain types of mining if that were desired on a particular server.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Broken Record Mode: I'd also like a configuration option to replace all planets with (largish?) asteroids.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Broken Record Mode: I'd also like a configuration option to replace all planets with (largish?) asteroids.
    Yeah - it'd be nice if the planets WERE just large asteroids. Maybe the size of a single large plate currently. Solve a whole bunch of problems.

Reaction score
    I agree!

Until planets are more than a source of server lag they should be treated as rocks.

I think it would also be good to config the "Type" of asteroid. This would allow server admins to manage resource distribution.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Lidren is the owner of Ragnarok Galaxy, for those who don't know. He know's what's up when it comes to config/admin options.

Reactions: Lidren
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Pfft, so does most anyone else who's taken the time to monkey around in the data directory. ;) Thanks for the vote of confidence though!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Since people seem to want more planet settings, a 'PLANET_GRAVITY_MULTIPLIER' setting would be pretty cool.

Reaction score
    Let's also add:
    1. Asteroid frequency (some of us want only 2-3 planets per system and a shitload of asteroids to mine)
    2. Planet Core Min Size; Planet Core Max Size (because why not? I'd rather have a smaller core than a big core and only 2 rows of blocks on top of it)
    3. Planet Min Layer; Planet Max Layer (instead of the medium -"normal"- ground level and deviation from the medium; or the "normal", the min and the max)
    4. Alien Planet Frequency (in percentages or 0-1 range; also, you know the "city" which existed a while ago on the planets (don't know if it's still there)? What about having a a different faction for it and some planetary turrets? You know, just for the fun of it... also, the variable could be used in the future, for different stuff, like the chance for a planet to be taken over by an AI faction...)
    Edit: Crap, I just ressurected a dead topic. d(-._.-')b

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Bump, I'm finding that certain servers dont handle the lag from planet mining as well as others, and being able to make asteroids more resource rich, would be a great way to discourage planet mining naturally, rather than admin enforced. I really really like this idea.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Supporting.

Pls gib for next update.

Reaction score
    Let's also add:
    1. Asteroid frequency (some of us want only 2-3 planets per system and a shitload of asteroids to mine)
    2. Planet Core Min Size; Planet Core Max Size (because why not? I'd rather have a smaller core than a big core and only 2 rows of blocks on top of it)
    3. Planet Min Layer; Planet Max Layer (instead of the medium -"normal"- ground level and deviation from the medium; or the "normal", the min and the max)
    4. Alien Planet Frequency (in percentages or 0-1 range; also, you know the "city" which existed a while ago on the planets (don't know if it's still there)? What about having a a different faction for it and some planetary turrets? You know, just for the fun of it... also, the variable could be used in the future, for different stuff, like the chance for a planet to be taken over by an AI faction...)
    Edit: Crap, I just ressurected a dead topic. d(-._.-')b
    Note that the blocks are what cause the lag. I'd actually like a thin crust layer, giving lots of surface(albeit little or no caves) to explore. Perhaps caves could somehow "cut into" the mantle? Dunno how well that would work.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Also, asteroid distribution ratio. Just so that asteroids are not bound to the small central part of each sector. Especially when sector size is increased, it becomes just weird...