Confession of a Lurker

Reaction score
    I bought this game almost two years ago. I played for a bit, but because my graphics card (Nvdivia 310m from 2009) crapped out, I stopped playing most games.

I have followed, at least monthly, and almost weekly, the updates on this game. I believe, truly, that this game will achieve what Star Citizen will fail to do. I have followed, and I believe many more like me, have followed along as logic, AI, rails, shipyards, and fleets have come into being. I believe the toolsets given to players will lead, and already have lead, to a more fulfilling game than things like Minecraft.

I do think the game could do better on marketing. Honestly, Skylord Luke's videos represent what I believe to be the best of the best in this game. I know there are other creators out there, and people continue to shock me with the level of creativity.

I will confess though, it seems like the complexity of everything may be too daunting by the time I get my gaming desktop built to get back in and learn.

I will be utilizing a skylake I7 processor and likely a new gen Nvidia 1070 or similar coming out this year. I've held out long enough, and I want to future proof my new machine. All I have is a z170 motherboard and a case at this point

I keep following, and I am very eager for the direction this game is going, and for procedural factions. And in case I haven't bragged on Skylord Luke enough, you guys should just hire the guy as a contractor to do the leg work as far as building standard bases and ships.

I'm not really sure when I will be able to play with more than 10 frames per second, or if the multiplayer capacity will mature and be able to have large persistent universes, but I look forward to seeing how things develop.

Great job, community.

-Theats

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I bought this game almost two years ago. I played for a bit, but because my graphics card (Nvdivia 310m from 2009) crapped out, I stopped playing most games.

I have followed, at least monthly, and almost weekly, the updates on this game. I believe, truly, that this game will achieve what Star Citizen will fail to do. I have followed, and I believe many more like me, have followed along as logic, AI, rails, shipyards, and fleets have come into being. I believe the toolsets given to players will lead, and already have lead, to a more fulfilling game than things like Minecraft.

I do think the game could do better on marketing. Honestly, Skylord Luke's videos represent what I believe to be the best of the best in this game. I know there are other creators out there, and people continue to shock me with the level of creativity.

I will confess though, it seems like the complexity of everything may be too daunting by the time I get my gaming desktop built to get back in and learn.

I will be utilizing a skylake I7 processor and likely a new gen Nvidia 1070 or similar coming out this year. I've held out long enough, and I want to future proof my new machine. All I have is a z170 motherboard and a case at this point

I keep following, and I am very eager for the direction this game is going, and for procedural factions. And in case I haven't bragged on Skylord Luke enough, you guys should just hire the guy as a contractor to do the leg work as far as building standard bases and ships.

I'm not really sure when I will be able to play with more than 10 frames per second, or if the multiplayer capacity will mature and be able to have large persistent universes, but I look forward to seeing how things develop.

Great job, community.

-Theats
    hahahah Glad to see someone positive for once in the forums :)
    also people will think I hired you to say those things xD,thank you tho! I really appreciate it! <3

I too share the optimism that this game will explode with content in the next few months and in this whole year in general. :D (I do have a bit of insider knowledge tho) Cant wait!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I don't have time for negativity!

I am excited how the game is going. But I am a bit anxious over the learning curve of being able to make some of the awesome looking carriers and such. I also have no idea what my new computer will be able to handle, but the game is practically unplayable on my old Toshiba.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Luke may be good, and it's possible he might be the best, but you must not have seen some of the really quality stuff that has come out of the build contests, or the amazing stuff Criss and company have done on the trading guild.

Reactions: nightrune

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Just keep a tab on the regular basics videos on the Schine Youtube Channel and you'll be off pretty well when you can play.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The biggest "problem" I see is not really a problem with the future potential of StarMade. It is only our management of our own time. When one considers the scale of what can be achieved with this game one should not expect, or always endeavor, to squeeze everything possible out of it. I'll just do what I can with the time I allot to StarMade. :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    hahahah Glad to see someone positive for once in the forums :)
    also people will think I hired you to say those things xD,thank you tho! I really appreciate it! <3

I too share the optimism that this game will explode with content in the next few months and in this whole year in general. :D (I do have a bit of insider knowledge tho) Cant wait!
    Ok, hold on. "Insider knowledge?" That sounds interesting. Maybe I'll actually launch the game and update after a year or so of no playing.

Reaction score
    Could you direct me to some of the stuff Criss has done, and others? I love seeing the creations that come out of the community here.

And it looks like i'm not the only long time lurker that hasn't really played in ages.

Last I played, I was able to slave a salvage and a cannon together in a 1:1 ratio and fire a never ending mine beam. When I tried that again, I couldn't get it to work :(

Reaction score
    Could you direct me to some of the stuff Criss has done, and others? I love seeing the creations that come out of the community here.

And it looks like i'm not the only long time lurker that hasn't really played in ages.

Last I played, I was able to slave a salvage and a cannon together in a 1:1 ratio and fire a never ending mine beam. When I tried that again, I couldn't get it to work :(
    Hmm... Check:
    Power
    Are they linked together properly(cannon modules to cannon computer, cannon computer to salvage computer)
    Is the darn salvage computer pointed in the right direction? It happens so many times that I place a salvage computer the wrong way and get mad over not being able to see the beams. The computer screen side should show on the side facing backwards.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Could you direct me to some of the stuff Criss has done, and others?
    Do you mean downloadable stuff? Click on 'Community Content' at the top of your page.

Criss' Thread - These are assets that will be added to the game. None of this is actually in game/available yet.

Reaction score
    Woah! I prefer the ships made by Skylord Luke, but I think I like those stations by Criss better. Incredible!

When do they make it in the game?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Woah! I prefer the ships made by Skylord Luke, but I think I like those stations by Criss better. Incredible!

When do they make it in the game?
    Soon ;)

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Thanks for your feedback Theats, it's always exciting to hear from players who may not necessarily be involved heavily in the community side of things, but are still following what's happening and are excited about where we're taking the game.

To address the learning curve, that's something we've had in the back of our minds during this whole development process, and is something we'll continue to have to think about as we move forward. We have many many more plans to expand the gameplay of StarMade and with that even more levels of complexity to learn. Regarding solutions we're looking at a number of different methods to ease players into all these new concepts and help teach them as they experience each new thing as it happens, rather than an onslaught of information at the start. On top of that ensuring that they always feel supported and that if they're not sure, they can go back and revise.

Whether it's through a series of objectives that expose you to a certain level of progression, or some kind of tool tip window when first interacting with something, we'll find ways to make it interactive and informative, without the walls of text. (Though if you want detailed walls of text there might be a place you can look stuff up or something).

Along with that we're also constantly revising and optimizing the performance of the game, to ensure it can be brought to whoever would wish to play.

Reaction score
    I am really excited for how things are looking, Bench.

I have followed many games on and off, from Star Citizen, a game called Pathfinder Online, and a few others in steam like Rust and some other concept type games. Above all, I have maintained interest in the promise of Starmade. I believe, truly, that Starmade will be the #2 of all Voxel Based games, and perhaps the #1 or #2 in the modern space-sand-box type games.

I feel players won't experience as much freedom as they expect if/when Star Citizen is ever finished, and I believe the lack of mulitplayer capacity in the true sense will limit No Man's Sky. I believe the release version of Starmade (and maybe some stable persistent Server/Servers?) would be awesome.

It may take another 24 months for many of the empire level things to be flushed out, but if I can get my computer up by December, then I will be happy if we have just functioning NPC crews and such by then. Again, I can't emphasize enough how stoked I am for this game (or to be able to play with it effectively). As of now, my limited graphics card kills me whenever a pirate shows up. Most of my ships are flying rectangular prisms with few exceptions.

I hope the new station is loaded with updated tutorials.

Reaction score
    UPDATE:

Last night I updated Starmade. The new Menu looks awesome. What is even more awesome is that somewhere along the way, things got optimized, because not only could I play on my server, but I was able to easily find an online server to hop in. While I'm essentially a baby when it comes to basic interface now, I was able to look at a nice station they had built with no lag!

Previously, even the tutorial station (old) would suffer from pretty bad lag and chunking. Great job! Looking forward to getting my feet wet.

Last edited:
    Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    UPDATE:

Last night I updated Starmade. The new Menu looks awesome. What is even more awesome is that somewhere along the way, things got optimized, because not only could I play on my server, but I was able to easily find an only serve to hop in. While I'm essentially a baby when it comes to basic interface now, I was able to look at a nice station with no lag!

Previously, even the tutorial station (old) would suffer from pretty bad lag and chunking. Great job! Looking forward to getting my feet wet.
    *The new menu makes this game actually looks like a game :D