concepts for a functional economy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    recently i have been thinking of new ways of doing shops in the game and lets be honest the current shops are not the best but the game is in its early stages and i understand why they are the way they are but they lack a sense of humanity. honestly it feels like they are just resource stockpiles and that is fine for a sandbox but horrible for role playing servers. my thoughts are three category of shops as well as many company owning these shops.

1.Ship yards

this station as the name suggests is to nerf the almost godlike ability to spawn a ship from mid air. it also puts a timer on the build depending on size and you can not spawn in ships that exceed the max limit size limit of the station. bigger stations would take on larger ships and work quicker at the penalty of higher price , but here is the upside through reusing the same company over and over you can become a repeat costumer and get discounts for any station owned by that company and through lots of trades the station can grow and the company can expand taking over other company's shops if they grow enough. but be careful allying yourself with one company can result in others giving worse deals. and if you are short on cash you can sell ship blueprints to shops for a quick buck. if you don't feel like building your ships you can choose from a selection of ships. each company having there own selection as well as any ones players may have sold to them.

2.Scrap yards

now i am sure you all know the frustration of getting rid of ships sure you could use console commands but then it feels like a waste just getting rid of all those blocks. well this class of station is used to disassemble ships your ships just bring your war damaged or obsolete junker up to one of these and you can sell it of coarse for slightly lass than what it is worth but at least you get something. after the transaction you have four hours to buy it back or for other players to buy it before it is scraped. this station also operates like the current shops for buying and selling blocks but only the ones taken from scraped ships. this also allows for piracy if you can high jack a ship from another person you can sell it to the scrap yard for a quick buck but if the player finds his ship in the scrap yard he will get it back and the pirate gets a damaged reputation with the company.

3.factories

factories are block manufacturers that take in ores from mining colonies and sell all of the blocks at an almost unlimited amount but take time to make the blocks and the larger amount it is the better discount you get. you can also get jobs from them where they give you a surtain amount of blocks to take to a surtain location it will give you the cords and off you go but if you steal the load or if it dose not reach the location in time you get a bad reputation and may not get any more jobs. you could even work as a supplier of ores to a factory.

Companies

there will be five or six companies in the each world and new ones can be made buy players for factions. the companies are in constant rivalry and if it gets to bad it can even result in wars. companies can even wipe each other out. a bad reputation with a company can result in anything from worse deals to hunting you down and killing you. good reputation allows you to have anything from better discounts to getting your own shops.

this is only a concept so don't pick it apart to much but i would love to hear any of your impute and opinions.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ideas like this have been mentioned before but not to this depth. I really like the concept of the different companies, perhaps the trading guild would be one of these? And it might be a neat idea if the scrapyards only sold the parts that it has collected from ships it took apart. I also think there should only be 2 or 3 of each "shop" in a solar or void system, it'll create something for factions to fight over. However if this is the case all "shops" should be shown in navigation, to prevent players from flying around for hours looking for one.

Again I have to say I really like the whole Company idea, like a lot. Once we have civilizations it would be really neat to see the different companies competing to be able to sell to different areas. If done right Companies could add more depth to the game as a player could either join or create a civilization, company, or become a pirate. I would personally love to have this option available to me in a single player world.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you don't like removing big ships, or if you find it hard, use symmetry and the biggest brush size (have it set to 25) and use remove mode. 25x25x25x8 is quite a lot of blocks at once (max).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I find it ironic that almost as soon as I posted this the station contest started

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have posted quite a lot about shops, and I like the ideas here. I think you'll be glad to here then that ship yards will be doming to star-made, so ship yards and scrap yards won't be hard to make, and for factories you just need to wait untill the crafting system works a bit better, and then you can easily create them yourself or download stations from others.

I really like the company idea, but I have the feeling that something like this is already being worked on or planned.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    True they are planning races and civilizations but I like the idea of there being very distinct industry aspects as well.
    It would make it a lot more in depth social system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm not much of a fan of aliens, but certain creatures might be fun. If that system gets implemented, I'm going to make my own squids ;)

Edit: I have made a thread about me not liking aliens in which I only wanted humans, so I really like the idea of your companies. I would like to expand it with more types of humans, like doctors, scientists, police, multiple pirate factions, that kind of stuff.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I have to agree I don't care for the idea of aliens but I did say races after how ever many million years past form now till starmade people would have most likely evolved into many different types of human life possibly with different traits and attributes but nothing to extreme.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    But you would like killer green space squids right? :)
    Edit: You mean like people who are extremely smart, extremely strong, extremely friendly, extremely hostile, things inbetween, those kind of traits?

Edit 2: You might want to edit the title, it is under thread tools. Concepts is spelled wrong (it should be the way I spelled it). It probably just is a typo, but it looks a bit stupid.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You something like that and maybe look really different you still can be identified as human but adapted to different living conditions like some are adapted for ice planets some desert and even some adapted for nomadic space travel it would make it interesting to have a planet that is perfect for one race but horrible for others and of coarse earth type planets would be great for all races. Also you could terraform the planet to make it right for your race. I would also like to see some terraforming warfare.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You something like that and maybe look really different you still can be identified as human but adapted to different living conditions like some are adapted for ice planets some desert and even some adapted for nomadic space travel it would make it interesting to have a planet that is perfect for one race but horrible for others and of coarse earth type planets would be great for all races. Also you could terraform the planet to make it right for your race. I would also like to see some terraforming warfare.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    And you can't delete them...
    But they are interesting ideas, and the terraform bit is revolutionary. I actually genuinely like this idea, heck, I love it!

Reaction score
    I honestly think the only remaining step for a more or less completely functional economy is a required "buy ships with blocks" catalog method (with a workaround for the block type limit, of course). That way every block for every ship has to be acquired somehow, be it through trade, shops, salvage, or factories. I don't think anyone would miss the old shop-hopping for credits economies that almost every server currently has.

It would also be cool to see a feature that streamlines the creation of player-made corporations, similar to how Eve does it.

Reaction score
    I would love it if there was next to the regular shop, a market for buying things, this would work like this:

There would be market stations all around the universe for you to earn money or get ship blueprints ranging from fighters to titans, this would replace the catalog as a place to buy ship, lets just say you want to buy an isanth, and a company offers (price not accurate just for example) you a blueprint for 1000, you would have to bid money, highest bid wins. You get the blueprint, go to a shipyard, pay a price for them having to build the ship and then you to a market or shop and buy the things needed for the ship and then you would have to wait till the ship is built.

This would add way more challenge if you want to have a capital ship and gives the players a place to sell their minerals, blueprints and equipment, ofcourse it woudnt be like EVE where use the market to get ships worth thousands of IRL money but it great for servers that want to have dynamic economy system

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There is already one in the server config.
    How can you not know that???!!!
    Nope; there are issues with that.

1) If a ship contains more block types than you can hold in your inventory, you can't spawn it.

2) It doesn't fix the ridiculousness (and, arguably, imbalance) of being able to burn blocks as a sacrifice to the gods of Starmade, and have said gods summon a ship from the ether. If it takes a while to build a ship the first time, an auto-spawned ship should take a little while to be fully constructed, and besides, as I said, the current system just looks really silly, and also dramatically devalues ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh, I just rememberd this and should have said it in the first place, but there are going to be ship yards that most likely will solve that problem, amd if they don't at first, the community will surely press for it to be so, but they already have, so I think it will have that function.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Recalling a game called Hardwar, also known as [H]ardwar, I think the ultimate economy should not have ship blueprints, except for the use of repair systems. Instead, I think ship sale areas should be made and have random ships available (and physically there). You'll physically see and examine any ships that are currently for sale at that area. Like a used car lot. If the ship sale area doesn't have the ship, it's not for sale there. That's a long way off, and having blueprints to buy will allow us to test the core game better for now.

Reactions: NeonSturm